Duterte aligns Philippines with China, says U.S. has lost

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I don`t see it being a problem for any expats from the west,but only time will tell. I have visited both Russia and China.I also have a friend from Montana who has stayed in both places for quite a while and we both agree it is not the man or woman in the street who hates us.As for the anti American feeling here at the moment this is a very small percentage of the people here.If you work out how much tourism and expats bring into this country it would be suicidle for them to be badly treating us. Also would they want to break up so many families?

DonJuanMatus
Posted
Posted

What worries me is that Duterte is the kind of man who loves power and his way of achieving it is through vilifying and executing a certain group of people.  First it was the Drug Users/Dealers, now it's America.

• Like 3

JonPalawan
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Reboot said:

11 minutes ago, Reboot said:

Geeze! What's next? Are closing the embassy and abolishing PRA possibilities? This guy holds grudges for a long time. He was born three days before me, and I was in college during the late 60's. So that's a 50 year old grudge. And he seems to act on his grudges.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, JonPalawan said:

Are closing the embassy and abolishing PRA possibilities?

I read somewhere that the US Consulate in Cebu, is no longer operating. Is this So?

RBM
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, JonPalawan said:

Geeze! What's next? Are closing the embassy and abolishing PRA possibilities? This guy holds grudges for a long time. He was born three days before me, and I was in college during the late 60's. So that's a 50 year old grudge. And he seems to act on his grudges.

I was considering applying for the PRA visa, after some research came up with a big NO. Not that it maybe abolished how ever did read somewhere the Immigration Dept is going to be re vamped along with tourist visas to bring it line with some other countries. In other words looks like for genuine tourists going to be easier. This was before the anti American tirade. 

Friend of mine is a chartered account, Filipina, works on line doing accounts, all are...were US clients. They have almost all jumped ship during the last month.

• Like 2

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

But on the bright side, we can expect more Russian and Chinese tourists, and sailors maybe, and the value of the peso may drop so we can hope our dollars will go further.  I have sympathy for the bar girls as they will now have to learn two new languages 

How much money would Chinese and Russian tourists really bring into the economy? I can't speak for the latter but tourists from the PRC are reportedly the highest spenders per capita of any nationality. Unfortunately their money mostly goes on buying luxury goods and designer label clothes since these are very highly taxed at home. And they want to buy the genuine article. In places such as Hong Kong and London they are confident that they are not buying fakes: now in the Philippines...?

Assuming that the Philippine businesses get their act together and set up infrastructure that can compete with Hong Kong then how much of their revenue will go to London, Paris and Milan? And how much will trickle down into the local economy?

So most of the Chinese tourists are likely to be those traveling cheaply in groups where everything has been prepaid in China. Not so long ago I was chatting to a Beijing lady had just returned from a holiday in Paris. I asked her how she enjoyed French cuisine. Her reply "How would I know? We ate Chinese food. Gong Bao Chicken three days in a row."

As for Chinese sailors I don't think they will be hitting the girly bars much since their monthly pay is unlikely to stretch to more than a couple of San Migs. :cheersty:

Edited by not so old china hand
After thoughts and spelling
  • Like 4

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted

In my previous post I said that I didn't know about Russian tourists however I was just reading an article  about problems with the Russian economy. That reminded me of how few Russian traders we see here nowadays. There is an area in Beijing -- Yabalu -- which is a huge Russian market covering several large city blocks. Restaurants, hotels, and shops all have names in Cyrillic and even the cycle rickshaws have Russian writing on them. A couple of years ago there was a vibrant night-life with Russian bars being packed until the wee small hours. The last time I went with a group of friends to one of our favorite Russian all-night haunts it was dead. Apart from our party there was a couple of people from Azerbaijan: and that was a busy night....

Again I don't know about Russian tourists but their traders are very careful with their money. Compared to equivalent establishments in other parts of the city food and drink is cheap and the standard of the food is high. In addition most of places have (or had) live entertainment and a dance floor larger than a postage stamp. So high expectations for food and service and low expectations when it comes to paying.

• Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

I read somewhere that the US Consulate in Cebu, is no longer operating. Is this So?

Just got an update email today, they are back in business starting Monday the 24th. I will copy/paste it to a separate thread.

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

About 20 years ago I read that in Vietnam Russians were referred to as "Americans without money."

• Like 4

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic