Duterte aligns Philippines with China, says U.S. has lost

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

The reason that the US requires a Visa is that not everyone who visits wants to go home. Hard to believe but there are 65 million non English speakers in the US

http://www.wnd.com/2016/10/record-64-7-million-non-english-speakers-in-u-s/

bows00
Posted
Posted

I don't understand why the Philippines has to pick between China and the US.  Why can't they have both as close allies?  It would be most beneficial to the Philippines...

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I don't think there is much of a reason to worry about visas.

30 day visa waiver - If you look at the list of countries that the Philippines grants this to, it is almost the whole world.  I am sure that U.S. visitors are a high % of the total and a very high % of the money being spent.  Requiring a visa for U.S. visitors would not make financial sense and if Duterte discusses it with the tourism folks, surely it would be shot down.  E.g., if 20% of potential U.S. visitors are lost due to a visa requirement, XXX,XXX,XXX dollars would not enter the Philippine economy.  Additional, flights from the U.S. would be reduced due to reduced demand.

PRA - PRA is not just for U.S. citizens.  For U.S. citizens to be blacklisted from PRA, relations would have to get very ugly.

Visas like 13A - Unlikely to change.

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, bows00 said:

I don't understand why the Philippines has to pick between China and the US.  Why can't they have both as close allies?  It would be most beneficial to the Philippines...

In the long run, I think that is what he is maneuvering for.  The China Sea issues are actually giving Duterte power and leverage, and he is using that.  If he settles into a happy middle ground with everyone, Philippines wins, for now.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, DonJuanMatus said:

What worries me is that Duterte is the kind of man who loves power and his way of achieving it is through vilifying and executing a certain group of people.  First it was the Drug Users/Dealers, now it's America.

Are you suggesting he reminds you of the leader of a formerly powerless nation who rose up in the 1930s to take over the world?  I have heard others suggest that, but then they suggest the same of the leader of North Korea and so far he is still just a lunatic.  Lunatics worry me, but I leave them to people in higher positions to deal with.  What may worry me is the reaction of the common man in the street in Philippines.  If the locals start spitting at me, instead of on the ground near me, then I shall worry more.

• Like 5

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

In the long run, I think that is what he is maneuvering for.  The China Sea issues are actually giving Duterte power and leverage, and he is using that.  If he settles into a happy middle ground with everyone, Philippines wins, for now.

What's the calculus?  Does it really help the PH at all beyond a bit of Chinese investment?

Since the cold war, securing the 1st Island Chain has been the US objective. The Ph's cooperation is a huge part of that. Japan, Singapore, Taiwan, all US allies, with the US being Philippines oldest ally of all.

Then there's trade. China trade is dwarfed by trade with these allies for PH.

For PH to defect to China puts a huge hole in the collective defense against potential Chinese aggression. It's like having the French throw in with the Russians during the Cold War. Plus, it alienates the bulk of PH's trade partners, which together are much bigger than China (Japan alone is a bigger trade partner than China).

One wonders how rational this policy is, or if it is driven by Duterte's personal prejudices.

Edited by Reboot

Kuya John
Posted
Posted (edited)

Well this topic certainly woke up a few people!

As a holiday maker visiting Turkey over 25 years I must say the influence of Russian money played a big part in the development of the Tourist industry there. However where that money came from is another matter!

As far as China is concern,  with the new found wealth of Chinese workers possibly bringing in cash, the tourist industry could well benefit from that.

I feel that expat's living in Philippines, should not be to concerned at this stage as leadership can change quite frequently, especially in Philippines. :tiphat:

Edited by Kuya John
  • Like 1

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

Would this also impact companies like Shell Oil and Chase Bank to name a few who have moved a portion of their back office operations to the Philippines?

robert k
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Happyhorn52 said:

Would this also impact companies like Shell Oil and Chase Bank to name a few who have moved a portion of their back office operations to the Philippines?

Are you talking about Royal Dutch Shell? The big multinational or just their wholly owned subsidiary in the US?

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

Not sure! I worked for Shell in the US until they moved their back office (Accounting, IT etc) operations to the Philippines to cut costs. I don't know if they moved any European operations but it's a possibility as it would cut costs as well.

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic