Duterte aligns Philippines with China, says U.S. has lost

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted

"The Philippines depends on the U.S. not just for military cooperation but also for economic support. American firms have invested a lot in the electronic industry. Remittances from the U.S. are large, and a lot of business process outsourcing (BPO) is also by American firms into the Philippines," pointed out Trinh Nguyen, Asia-Pacific economist at investment bank Natixis.

Remittances and the BPO sector are key pillars of the Philippine economy, contributing 10 and 6 percent, respectively, to annual gross domestic product. So if Duterte really did end economic ties, as indicated, it could significantly hit the domestic economy in terms of trade and labor movements, Nguyen added.

The move could also alter the balance of power in Southeast Asia.

• Like 1

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted (edited)
The US accounts for roughly a third of the $17.6 billion that Filipinos working overseas have sent home this year.

Remittances from many of these people to families in the Philippines are often economic lifelines, and significant contributors to local economies throughout the country.

And it cuts both ways -- there are more than 220,000 US citizens living in the Philippines, including a large number of US veterans.

220,000 x $ 1,500m = $330m Month / $3.96b year

The Philippines is also a big tourist destination for Americans -- an estimated 650,000 visit the country, with its world-class beaches, diving and adventure tourism, amongst many other draws, each year.

650,000 x $3,000 per trip = $1.95b Year
Edited by Happyhorn52
  • Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I was to visit my family in Cebu late March. We ordered my airline tickets Wednesday from a ticket agent friend. Wife messaged me this morning at work saying "I don't want you to go"

She thinks it's unsafe now as so many Filipinos are fanatical to do with what the President is saying about USA. A number of Filipino American friends here are getting blowback from friends and even family back in da Philippines how America is evil and bad.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Last night on TV the president "refined" his position. He is not breaking off diplomatic relations with the US, but rather meant he is going to develop his foreign policy base on what he feels is in the Philippines best interest and not be in lock step with US policy.

He stated that he could NOT break of ties with the US completely. WHY he asked. In a humorous moment he said, "because there are millions of Filipinos living in the States, if I do, they will kill me!" 

• Like 4

ITGeek
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 10/21/2016 at 1:09 AM, Happyhorn52 said:

Tell Duterte to take a look at Cuba and tell us how that worked out.

Actually, Venezuela would be the better example.  How well did it work out for Hugo Chavez (deceased) taking a democratically ruled country into a communist dictatorship?  Where he had the state take over all assets, foreign and domestically owned.  Now look how its citizens are suffering under the wonderful utopia of a communism.

The reason the Philippines didn't prosper like Japan or Germany after WW2 and South Korea is because of one simple fact.  The majority of its people aren't as educated like in those countries.  They weren't able to take advantage of US protection against the spread of communism during the Cold War and use that to build their economy.

History continually repeats itself because we fail to learn from its mistakes.  As I stated in another post, I've had the opportunity to work and make friends with people from all over the world.  Most of these people were the educated professionals who came to the US fleeing oppressive regimes in their home countries.  Much of the middle east was very secular and westernized after WW2 up until President Carter took office in the late 1970's.  The only people left in those countries were the poor and uneducated.  When people have nothing to lose, they become desperate and are easily radicalized.

This is now the fate of the Venezuelan people and I pray not those of the Filipinos.  Over the past 10 years, the US has become weakened,  much like during the 1970's after the Vietnam 'war'.  It has a weak president (like Carter in late 70's) and lost its political and economic influence after its 'wars' in the middle east.  China and Russia are taking advantage of this situation to expand their influence.  One only has to look that China now influences Asian policy and Russia middle east and soon European policy.

Unfortunately, the globalists have begun their end game and the take down of the west (US and EU) is next on their list.  Hence the invasion under the guise of flooding them with 'refugees' from the 3rd world.  They want to bring them down to 3rd world status.  Exploiting the people for cheap labor and the natural resources.  The globalists ideas closely resemble those from the movie "The Hunger Games" adapted from the books.  The "capital" or elitists (1% rich) have everything and the rest of population slave under an oppressive regime for meager scraps of food.

Welcome to the 21st century.  At least in my 52 years of life, I've been fortunate to experience and have wonderful opportunities.  I just pray my family here in Philippines and all future generations in the world will have the same opportunities as I've had.

Edited by ITGeek
  • Like 4

intrepid
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, scott h said:

Last night on TV the president "refined" his position. He is not breaking off diplomatic relations with the US, but rather meant he is going to develop his foreign policy base on what he feels is in the Philippines best interest and not be in lock step with US policy.

He stated that he could NOT break of ties with the US completely. WHY he asked. In a humorous moment he said, "because there are millions of Filipinos living in the States, if I do, they will kill me!" 

Scott. I missed this in the news.  Have you seen this in any printed news yet?   

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I think there is to much hysteria taken from what the president says. As usual the top officials are in damage mode and I doubt much will change. Duterte is gaining billions by kissing the butt of the Chinese while playing a clever game of politics. 

• Like 4

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Scott. I missed this in the news.  Have you seen this in any printed news yet?   

http://www.rappler.com/nation/149968-philippines-duterte-will-not-sever-us-ties

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've seen Venezuela fall apart first hand. Not pretty. But Duterte is no communist. And, unlike the Chavez/Maduro regime, he takes the trash off the streets. Venezuela wasn't exactly a safe place previously, but it has turned into a freaking warzone now. I won't set foot there any longer.

The issue going on with the PH is that the US is a hegemon that no one fears or respects anymore. It's being run by an impotent clown and everyone knows it. And it's virtually certain another fool will sit on the throne once the clown vacates. Global power realignment appears inevitable. Plan accordingly.

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 5

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic