Duterte aligns Philippines with China, says U.S. has lost

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, ITGeek said:

Welcome to the 21st century.  At least in my 52 years of life, I've been fortunate to experience and have wonderful opportunities.  I just pray my family here in Philippines and all future generations in the world will have the same opportunities as I've had.

Amen to that. :AddEmoticons04230:

• Like 1

Mr. Bobo
Posted
Posted

All Duterte's rhetoric aside, IMO there will be little or no impact of the average American expat living in Philippines. His rhetoric may affect some tourism but that's about it. The worst possible thing to happen would be the expulsion of all US expats from the country which is extremely unlikely, but not beyond the realm of possibility given the fact that he is a scary loose cannon. If the US replied in kind and expelled all Filipinos from the US who would lose the most? Right about now returning to the US doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. My wife and spent a huge amount of money on a retirement home. If I was force to leave the country I would burn the house to the ground before I left for the airport rather that have Duterte and minions confiscate the property ala Castro in Cuba when he took power, or even worse have my lazy in-laws move in. If my useless relatives moved in the house would be destroyed within a year.    

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte has clarified his comments that seemed to call for a split from the United States, saying he was advocating a "separation of foreign policy" rather than "a severance of ties."

Addressing a press conference in Davao City after his return from a state visit to China, Duterte said:
"It is not severance of ties. You say severance of ties, you cut the diplomatic relations. I cannot do that.
"Why? It is in the best interest of my country that we maintain that relationship. Why? Because there are many Filipinos in the United States. Well, Americans of Filipino ancestry.
"Why? Because the people of my country [are] not ready to accept. I said separation -- what I was really saying was separation of a foreign policy. "

There was widespread shock after Duterte announced his "separation" from the United States, suggesting he would cut both economic and military ties in favor of moving closer to China.
"America has lost now. I've realigned myself in your ideological flow," Duterte told business leaders Thursday in Beijing.
"And maybe I will also go to Russia to talk to Putin and tell him that there are three of us against the world: China, Philippines and Russia. It's the only way."
In a statement Friday, Duterte's office said the Philippines had no intention to renege on treaties or agreements with allies.
The President's comments were "an assertion that we are an independent and sovereign nation, now finding common ground with friendly neighbors with shared aspirations in the spirit of mutual respect, support and cooperation," the statement said.
Trade Minister Ramon Lopez told CNN that the Philippines "would not stop trade and investment with the US."
"(Duterte) has decided to strengthen further and rekindle the ties with China and the ASEAN region," Lopez said, referring to the Association of Southeast Asian Nations.

MORE

Mr. Bobo
Posted
Posted

JGF, not that I believe that Trump is going to be elected but if he does I would love to be a fly on the wall when he meets Duterte for the first time!:bash:

• Like 1

DavidK
Posted
Posted

I'm having a job lot of T-shirts made up with the legend "Not an American" on the front if anyone's interested............:hystery:

• Like 2

Mr. Bobo
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, DavidK said:

I'm having a job lot of T-shirts made up with the legend "Not an American" on the front if anyone's interested............:hystery:

Let me guess, made in China?:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 5

DavidK
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Mr. Bobo said:

Let me guess, made in China?:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

Vietnam actually, they have none too fond memories of the Americans as well for some reason :mocking:

Mr. Bobo
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, DavidK said:

Vietnam actually, they have none too fond memories of the Americans as well for some reason :mocking:

The US and Vietnam restored diplomatic relations over 20 years ago. Duterte seems to be heading in the opposite direction.

• Like 1

Mr. Bobo
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, DavidK said:

You probably could have saved money by having them manufactured in the Falklands, oh wait, I don't think that they have many fond memories of the Brits for some reason:popcorn:.

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Mr. Bobo said:

If I was force to leave the country I would burn the house to the ground before I left for the airport rather that have Duterte and minions confiscate the property ala Castro in Cuba when he took power, or even worse have my lazy in-laws move in. If my useless relatives moved in the house would be destroyed within a year.    

That's exactly what they did to my folks in Cuba when they applied for US visas, if you must know.

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic