Duterte aligns Philippines with China, says U.S. has lost

Kuya John
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, Mr. Bobo said:

You probably could have saved money by having them manufactured in the Falklands, oh wait, I don't think that they have many fond memories of the Brits for some reason:popcorn:.

Sorry I don't understand that statement?

Maybe we should just stick to the topic.

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte has clarified his comments that seemed to call for a split from the United States, saying he was advocating a "separation of foreign policy" rather than "a severance of ties."

Addressing a press conference in Davao City after his return from a state visit to China, Duterte said:
"It is not severance of ties. You say severance of ties, you cut the diplomatic relations. I cannot do that.
"Why? It is in the best interest of my country that we maintain that relationship. Why? Because there are many Filipinos in the United States. Well, Americans of Filipino ancestry.
"Why? Because the people of my country [are] not ready to accept. I said separation -- what I was really saying was separation of a foreign policy. "

There was widespread shock after Duterte announced his "separation" from the United States, suggesting he would cut both economic and military ties in favor of moving closer to China.
"America has lost now. I've realigned myself in your ideological flow," Duterte told business leaders Thursday in Beijing.
"And maybe I will also go to Russia to talk to Putin and tell him that there are three of us against the world: China, Philippines and Russia. It's the only way."
In a statement Friday, Duterte's office said the Philippines had no intention to renege on treaties or agreements with allies.
The President's comments were "an assertion that we are an independent and sovereign nation, now finding common ground with friendly neighbors with shared aspirations in the spirit of mutual respect, support and cooperation," the statement said.
Trade Minister Ramon Lopez told CNN that the Philippines "would not stop trade and investment with the US."
"(Duterte) has decided to strengthen further and rekindle the ties with China and the ASEAN region," Lopez said, referring to the Association of Southeast Asian Nations.

MORE

Thanks OMY & JGF,  Good articles and about what I expected he would say.  But like many things he says,...:popcorn:

Mr. Bobo
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

"And maybe I will also go to Russia to talk to Putin and tell him that there are three of us against the world: China, Philippines and Russia. It's the only way."

2 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

This comment shows you how delusional the guy is. He is elevating the Philippines to the same level as China and Russia? If the planet earth was to receive an enema believe me the Philippines would be the insertion point.

• Like 1

Mr. Bobo
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, DavidK said:

Vietnam actually, they have none too fond memories of the Americans as well for some reason :mocking:

Sorry my mistake David, I took the above quote to be anti American, I meant the Argentinians not the people of the Falklands, The UK did liberate the Falklands in 1982,

but there is no love lost between Argentina and the UK, same as Vietnam and the US.

• Like 1

Kuya John
Posted
Posted

Now I understand the statement :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Mr. Bobo said:

Sorry my mistake David, I took the above quote to be anti American, I meant the Argentinians not the people of the Falklands, The UK did liberate the Falklands in 1982,

but there is no love lost between Argentina and the UK, same as Vietnam and the US.

• Like 1

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mr. Bobo said:

This comment shows you how delusional the guy is. He is elevating the Philippines to the same level as China and Russia? If the planet earth was to receive an enema believe me the Philippines would be the insertion point.

Dude has world class ambition! From Mayor of Davao City to World leader in only 6 months.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Filipinos are going at each other on Facebook now big time. Those living in Philippines and those in the States who lived in or near Davo on one side mostly Filipino Americans on the other. It's ugly.

Now I understand why my wife requests that I don't visit.... Spitefulness. 

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

He certainly is a "colorful character" as the only pubic statement made by our President. Well to me that was reaffirmed when he started lecturing the US on what is moral and right to the US and what is moral and right to his country. Then he proceeded to ask a rather attractive reporter to just stand in silence so he could have a "moment" to stare at her before she was allowed to ask a question. What will tomorrow(s) bring?

• Like 4

Happyhorn52
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

Filipinos are going at each other on Facebook now big time. Those living in Philippines and those in the States who lived in or near Davo on one side mostly Filipino Americans on the other. It's ugly.

1 hour ago, Old55 said:

Rule #1 - Don't piss off the guy sending you a check each month.

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Mr. Bobo said:

You probably could have saved money by having them manufactured in the Falklands, oh wait, I don't think that they have many fond memories of the Brits for some reason:popcorn:.

The Falklands love the Brits, it's Argentina that doesn't love the Brits. Argentina offered to buy out the people of the Falklands and they refused, if I recall correctly. That was after the war.

Edited by robert k
  • Like 2

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic