How Much For Beggars?

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

I am " Not Allowed " to give money to Children or beggers !!

I learnt my Lesson on my first trip to manila with the wife we were crossing over a footbridge

when out of nowhere appeared 3 children hands out stretched and me being soft hearted gave them the loose change in my pocket !:bonk: The little woman then said " just wait now and see what happens !! "

Children literally came from every direction ! The wife shouted something to them and they all vanished !:hystery:

So now whenever I get approached I just pull out empty pockets and smile !

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, expatuk2014 said:

Children literally came from every direction ! The wife shouted something to them and they all vanished !:hystery:

Maybe you wife uses similar words to what I say when our foreign guests are surrounded by curious locals. "Keep away, they are lepers." The crowd quickly disperses.

• Like 3

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted

My youngest sister, now a rather senior civil servant, likes to tell the following story.

'I was approached by this down-and-out in London who said "Please give me 50p for a cup of tea"

"If I do will you just spend it on drink?"

"Errr yes I will."

"Alright then. Here's a pound."'

:56da64aa52228_23_9_101:

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 10/25/2016 at 4:24 PM, JJReyes said:

You either give to beggars in the Philippines or you don't. It's a personal choice.

A personal choice?  When did Presidential Decree No 1563 become invalid?  Its illegal to give to beggars in Philippines and thus not a personal choice but a lawbreaking choice.

Any person who abets mendicancy by giving alms directly to mendicants, exploited infants and minors on public roads, sidewalks, parks and bridges shall be punished by a fine nor exceeding P20.00.

http://www.chanrobles.com/presidentialdecrees/presidentialdecreeno1563.html#.WBGu1fp9600

• Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
On 10/27/2016 at 9:40 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:
On 10/25/2016 at 10:24 AM, JJReyes said:

You either give to beggars in the Philippines or you don't. It's a personal choice.

A personal choice?  When did Presidential Decree No 1563 become invalid?  Its illegal to give to beggars in Philippines and thus not a personal choice but a lawbreaking choice.

Having broken the law under Presidential Decree No. 1563, I will be subject to arrest upon my return to the Philippines until a fine of PHP 20.00 is paid, which I will refuse to pay. The judge will then sentence me to jail. Can you imagine the effect on tourism once the news media picks up on the story?

By the way, there is an existing law in Alabama which subjects a person to a lifetime prison sentence for blowing up a condom as a balloon at a children's party. The law dating back to the 1920's has never been rescinded. 

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)

I wouldn't spend any time in jail over 20 php.

Edited by robert k

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
On 10/27/2016 at 2:50 AM, not so old china hand said:

My youngest sister, now a rather senior civil servant, likes to tell the following story.

'I was approached by this down-and-out in London who said "Please give me 50p for a cup of tea"

"If I do will you just spend it on drink?"

"Errr yes I will."

"Alright then. Here's a pound."'

:56da64aa52228_23_9_101:

I'd have given him a pound also and he could have got us both a cup of tea. The last time I was there it was about £2.40 for a tea. :morning1:

• Like 2