Opening up to China

David B
Posted
Posted

In reference to a recently closed thread inre Duterte and his choice of foreign alliances, I'd like to examine the ramifications from a non-political and non-military point of view.  To wit:

Imagine these proposed changes being affected. When the welcome mat is in place will we see an influx of Chinese immigration, business co-ownership,  Chinese language heard in more places, especially in businesses? A change in services, products or culture? 

How might these changes affect your lifestyle? 

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

What's new indeed,

Lets take a few facts, Please correct where I may be wrong but 9 of the Top Richest men in the PI are of Chinese decent from Airlines down to SM and others

Just in My Area we have had Chinese doing Business through families for 1/2+ a Century

Cangs Group Department Stores Hotels, Air conditioning and many more Smaller business's 50+ years

Lee Plaza  Group Department Stores, Hotel + many smaller units 26+ years

PO Group. Power Supply Parts Company 22+ years

Phil South Negros. Builders 18+ Years

The List goes on and on so for us here on Negros. It is nothing new at all. The Majority of other Local Companies work hand in hand with these clever business people, For me, a welcome change to more if they can do the Job right as these others have proved they can.

Apparently we have a Consortium from China doing feasibility studies on a proposed Monorail system to sort the traffic Congestion out. Personally I don't see it happening but at least the Administration is forward thinking about something that all others have failed on

Am I pro Chinese? To a Degree yes! I have seen it in the UK, Spain, Portugal and it works. Of course there is a problem, There are are so many of them :hystery: This what the New Administration has to Address as other countries are trying [sic] to do, Control properly, Immigration. This and fairness in tendering for Business should be across the Board and not just for the Chinese.

Just my few words on this 

• Like 2

Ram1957
Posted
Posted

Well China/US business relationships have worked for the US so why not here in the Philippines. Without that relationship Walmart wouldn't be in business. And most big cities in the US have a Chinatown community.

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted

I can't say Chinese immigration and local owned business has been a negative in the US in my experience. Hard working people and they often manage some modest success as first gen immigrants, with their kids often doing really well once they grow up. Yes they do tend to stick together but that's just human nature. At least they don't live off my tax dollars or otherwise steal from me. They earn their way and pay their keep.

• Like 5

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I have noticed much greater numbers of Chinese tourists in both Cebu and Dumaguete than I have ever seen before.  Its not an overwhelming number but I seldom saw many Chinese tourist before this last while.

I also notice they are . .  well before I get in trouble for putting a whole race of people in the same category let me describe one incident:

Last night I took "Y" to a favorite little hole-in-the-wall that is seldom busy and we were the only ones in there.  It was pleasant until 8 young adult Chinese tourists came in (I could tell they were tourists as they were speaking Chinese :-) ) and sat in the two booths directly in front of the fan.  They didn't like the fan so they turned it off without giving a fiddlers fvck that we were already there and enjoying it.  Totally oblivious to anyone else in the room except the waitress who was there to serve them.

Yes, I could have confronted them and turned the fan back on but would that have made them any more polite and considerate of others?  I think not.

The other day I was getting a massage and the therapist told me how she liked white people because we realize she works for tips only.  She complained about the Chinese men who come in and leave a 20 pesos tip or the ones who come in as a big group and actually expect a discount.

We are in for a ride.

• Like 3

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Maybe it's just me, but the Filipinos don't seem too fond of the Chinese! I've even been told they are all in the drug business. 

• Like 3

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

They didn't like the fan so they turned it off without giving a fiddlers fvck that we were already there and enjoying it.  Totally oblivious to anyone else in the room except the waitress who was there to serve them.

There is a good chance that they were genuinely unaware of your presence and it was just lack of thought. A generalization coming up but it does seem to be be part of Chinese culture. For whatever reason; - Confucianism, overcrowding or whatever - it's as everyone outside the "group" does not exist. If approached in a non-confrontational way they generally react positively.

A few weeks ago I was sitting outside a bar when a couple of Chinese girls sat at another table. As the evening progressed they were joined by more and more of their friends and became noisier and noiser as they played drinking games and toasted each other with shouts (as they do). This continued until quite late and they obviously didn't notice the frowns of the other customers. Finally I went across to them and said politely "Please could you keep the noise down. The owner gets complaints about noise late at night from the people who live here." The prettiest girl gave me a bright smile and said "Sorry we didn't think. We'll be quiet. Would you like to join us?"

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, not so old china hand said:

Would you like to join us?"

And? 

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted (edited)

If you look at the richest people/familys in Phils, then most have Chinese roots. You seldom (atleast i havent seen any) see people with Chinese decent begging on the streets. I guess they are just more hard working or invest their money better then the Filipino decent people... Less one day milioneirs perhaps.

Personaly i dont think much will change for the avarage person.

Edited by Sander Martin
  • Like 2