Renewing US passport in Cebu

johnbarley
Posted
Posted

Someone told me that I could just walk into the US Consulate in the Waterfront Hotel and have it done however based on the US embassy website it seems I have to mail it to Manila. 

https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/renew-an-adult-10-year-validity-passport/

Anyone have experience with this?

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, johnbarley said:

Someone told me that I could just walk into the US Consulate in the Waterfront Hotel and have it done however based on the US embassy website it seems I have to mail it to Manila. 

https://ph.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/renew-an-adult-10-year-validity-passport/

Cebu had limited services and just resumed services two days ago. Better call the consulate to find out what exactly they are doing now as all previous answers, while possibly correct again, are outdated.

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, johnbarley said:

100% use the mail in service with is by Air Express 200-250 pesos includes the return.

Go to the Web Site and follow the instructions. Air Express will be coming to your house to collect your application but you must call them on the number in the Web Site. Don't go to the local Air Express office. They don't handle that until they get an order from the AE desk at the Embassy.

I used it. I got an email reply after 14 days saying my passport was ready. For whatever reason it took another 14 days to get here....28 days all up. I think because my passport was still in the USA when I got the email.

NB. My profile says Aussie. I am also a US Citizen.

• Like 1

johnbarley
Posted
Posted

Thanks. How did you pay the fee? The  bank draft option takes 14 days to clear so I would rather do it in person. My understanding is it works like this:

1) I mail the old passport and forms

2) They email me telling me to pay at the consulate in Cebu (Waterfront Hotel)

3) They mail me the new and old passport

Is that correct?

• 2 weeks later...
johnbarley
Posted
Posted

The payment system is incredibly stupid. They haven't figure out a way to take credit card payments even though the IRS can be paid via credit card. Apparently they're afraid of all those fraudsters using stolen credit cards to pay for passport renewals. :huh: Furthermore, for some bizarre reason, if you make your payment at the Cebu consulate it takes "much longer." God knows why.