Recommend a car

johnbarley
Posted
Posted

I'm thinking Mazda CX-5 but I don't really know cars.

http://www.edmunds.com/mazda/cx-5/2016/review/

Is there a reason to prefer certain models to others in the Philippines? What do you think? 

bows00
Posted
Posted

My perfect car for the Philippines is the Subaru Crosstrek.  Reasonably priced.  Holds its value.  Four wheel drive and great ground clearance. 

Not to mention they look great too. 

• Like 1

chris49
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, johnbarley said:

Is there a reason to prefer certain models to others in the Philippines? What do you think? 

If living in Manila with perhaps occasional trips out that would be a reasonable choice.  The Hyundai Tucson is a popular choice and similar. I have no comparison between the 2.

If living primarily in a province I prefer something tougher. The Isusu DMax, Ford Ranger or Toyota Hilux are all popular. The DMax has been the best seller over a number of years and is slightly cheaper. The Ranger is very upmarket and gaining popularity. And is a nice looking vehicle.

I have had a DMax and I will get another one. Or the Isusu Crosswind, if a pure SUV not a pick up.

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, johnbarley said:

Depends on what you are looking for. That Mazda looks like a decent car.

In that class I think Honda CRV are popular or Toyota Rav4. More popular means more choices for dealerships and shops. As long as there is a couple of Mazda dealerships near where you live, there is no reason not to get the Mazda if that is what you want. I say a couple of dealerships because sometimes a relationship with a dealers service department goes sour and you still need some place you can take your vehicle for warranty or safety recalls.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

In Cebu city a big majority of the taxi are Toyota Vios.  There must be a reason that they are so popular here.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, Mike J said:

In Cebu city a big majority of the taxi are Toyota Vios.  There must be a reason that they are so popular here.

Yeah, All Good! but in Germany Cities most are Mercedes, only because the Taxi Associations does big Deals with  the Dealers. Maybe that follows In Cebu 

Jack:shades:

Morning All:morning1:

• Like 1

johnbarley
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, bows00 said:

My perfect car for the Philippines is the Subaru Crosstrek.  Reasonably priced.  Holds its value.  Four wheel drive and great ground clearance. 

Not to mention they look great too. 

Doesn't good ground clearance also mean a high center of gravity and therefore make it less stable?

Edited by johnbarley

johnbarley
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, chris49 said:

If living in Manila with perhaps occasional trips out that would be a reasonable choice.  The Hyundai Tucson is a popular choice and similar. I have no comparison between the 2.

If living primarily in a province I prefer something tougher. The Isusu DMax, Ford Ranger or Toyota Hilux are all popular. The DMax has been the best seller over a number of years and is slightly cheaper. The Ranger is very upmarket and gaining popularity. And is a nice looking vehicle.

I have had a DMax and I will get another one. Or the Isusu Crosswind, if a pure SUV not a pick up.

I'll be staying mainly in the city with occasional trips. I read that if an SUV and a sedan are involved in a crash, the driver of the sedan is 8x more likely to die. I assume the same applies to trucks. However, wouldn't it be irritating to drive a big SUV or truck in the city?

Isuzus look pretty affordable.

In the US I always buy about 3 years old cause I don't want to flush money down the toilet but I'm not sure about here in Phil. Do you recommend buying used or new?

chris49
Posted
Posted
Just now, johnbarley said:

I'll be staying mainly in the city with occasional trips. I read that if an SUV and a sedan are involved in a crash, the driver of the sedan is 8x more likely to die. I assume the same applies to trucks. However, wouldn't it be irritating to drive a big SUV or truck in the city?

Isuzus look pretty affordable.

In the US I always buy about 3 years old cause I don't want to flush money down the toilet but I'm not sure about here in Phil. Do you recommend buying used or new?

Mate that is a judgement.  If buying used it's better if you know a lot about cars in general.

As far as driving around MM in a pick up. Common enough especially in the off peak hours.

And btw do you have parking facilities? Within a sub division or condo? Another issue.

Me? As soon as I have the money I will buy new as a personal preference.

• Like 2

johnbarley
Posted
Posted

3 minutes ago, chris49 said:

Mate that is a judgement.  If buying used it's better if you know a lot about cars in general.

As far as driving around MM in a pick up. Common enough especially in the off peak hours.

And btw do you have parking facilities? Within a sub division or condo? Another issue.

Me? As soon as I have the money I will buy new as a personal preference.

Yeah, I have parking. I'll be staying in Cebu. Is flooding a problem there? 

I rode in a Toyota Hillux before. I really liked the interior. Very spacious large cab. Is the DMax similar?

However, I have no use for the truck bed.