Duterte's Intentions

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Hey Steve said:

recently cancelling an order of 26m assault rifles earmarked for the PNP

In my view this really hurts American exports not the PNP, if I am correct and the rifles are the M4 assault carbine, they are really nothing more than the M16 (which the Philippines has in abundance) with a shorter barrel. Same ammo, same rate of fire etc. In fact the M4 isn't as accurate as the M16 at distance.

The way I read the story, its really one touchy feely US senator trying to make a statement on the Human rights angle, not official American foreign policy.

• Like 4

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hey Steve said:

I'm wondering if that trend will continue as the US sent a somewhat subtle message to Duterte by recently cancelling an order of 26m assault rifles earmarked for the PNP. (Maybe our gov't could not justify spending the money in light of how Duterte has chosen to handle this).

The Philippines doesn't need assault rifles as aid. The Philippines has a company producing a piston gas system (not direct impingement) variant of the US M-4 rifle that is arguably superior. In my opinion military aid should be something they can't make for themselves! Filipinos could have jobs making those rifles.

Being a colony is when you are a source of raw materials and a dumping ground for finished product. The US may not be sourcing the raw materials from the Philippines but the Philippines is still a dumping ground for finished products, like rifles from the US. Lazada is full of FOREIGN products that are outmoded, outdated, didn't sell anyplace else and will not sell anyplace else so they will be on Lazada until they sell or are pushed out of a warehouse/sent directly to a recycler, because they won't sell anywhere and they need the space. Filipinos need to make things for themselves and until they do, they will be in the position of a colony. The US is heading that direction and has been for a couple of decades with the decline of manufacturing and jobs. It's done wonders for the US.:hystery:

Edited by robert k
  • Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Gerald Glatt said:

at least Fil is winning it's war on drugs, nd not spending a fortune on prisons full of users.

Surely you jest?

manila-philippines-prison-system.jpg

http://time.com/4438112/philippines-overcrowded-prison-manila-rodrigo-duterte/

• Like 2

johnbarley
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

not spending a fortune

Looks like a budget prison to me. 

The new rehab centers will be expensive but obviously the current number of drug users and prisoners is a result of drug policy during the past 20 years, not the last 3 months. As far as I know Malaysia and Indonesia have a significantly smaller drug problem than the Philippines and Thailand. Singapore is not comparable. 

I think you either legalize drugs or destroy it ruthlessly. A moderate policy only leads to massive costs in drug enforcement agencies and prisons, runaway crime, and prevents addicts from being treating (though I'm skeptical about how effective treatment really is).

Edited by johnbarley
  • Like 2

johnbarley
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, robert k said:

The Philippines doesn't need assault rifles as aid. The Philippines has a company producing a piston gas system (not direct impingement) variant of the US M-4 rifle that is arguably superior. In my opinion military aid should be something they can't make for themselves! Filipinos could have jobs making those rifles.

Even if Filipinos were unable to produce their own rifles, what good would 25M rifles do? An assault rifle for every 4th Filipino...is that the plan to defeat China in the Scarborough Shoal? They can get to the scene of the conflict on the donated refurbished C-130. Sounds like a racket. 

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, johnbarley said:

Even if Filipinos were unable to produce their own rifles, what good would 25M rifles do? An assault rifle for every 4th Filipino...is that the plan to defeat China in the Scarborough Shoal? They can get to the scene of the conflict on the donated refurbished C-130. Sounds like a racket. 

I personally would have pucker factor invading if I knew every fourth person 25 million total was armed with a modern assault rifle. I might have more people in total but delivering more than 50k a day would be a logistical nightmare. Even if Filipinos didn't care if you invaded, I have noticed that many Filipinos like to get even and China is not all that popular. 

If the missle defenses of the islands were taken out the AC130 Spectres the Philippines has could hose the small islands clean of larger life forms.

Edited by robert k
  • Like 1

johnbarley
Posted
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, robert k said:

I personally would have pucker factor invading if I knew every fourth person 25 million total was armed with a modern assault rifle. I might have more people in total but delivering more than 50k a day would be a logistical nightmare. Even if Filipinos didn't care if you invaded, I have noticed that many Filipinos like to get even and China is not all that popular. 

Sure, if China was actually planning to invade the Philippines as the US did Iraq. Is that the threat that's now being pushed as the reason for remaining a close US military ally? I think it's totally ridiculous. China will not invade and colonize the Philippines unless the US sets up base in PI and challenges China over the disputed territories. This is very different from WW2 (and even then it's likely that Japan would have bypassed the Philippines if it had not been for US bases on the islands, at least for the short-run). But if there is an all out war, the Philippines gets nuked or closed to nuked anyway. If it comes to the point where the Philippines has to rely on guerilla fighting a Chinese occupation, they've already lost.

As pathetic as it sounds, giving up the islands is probably the best option.

Edited by johnbarley
  • Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, johnbarley said:

Sure, if China was actually planning to invade the Philippines as the US did Iraq. Is that the threat that's now being pushed as the reason for remaining a close US military ally? I think it's totally ridiculous. China will not invade and colonize the Philippines unless the US sets up base in PI and challenges China over the disputed territories. This is very different from WW2 (and even then it's likely that Japan would have bypassed the Philippines if it had not been for US bases on the islands, at least for the short-run). But if there is an all out war, the Philippines gets nuked or closed to nuked anyway. If it comes to the point where the Philippines has to rely on guerilla fighting under a Chinese occupation, they've already lost.

As pathetic as it sounds, giving up the islands is probably the best option.

You totally missed what I was saying. Let me put it this way? How did the coalition invade Iraq? Did they sail up and make an amphibious landing? No. They moved a million troops to a nearby country and all the material they would need over the period of more than 8-9 months then they drove in from dry land. Where exactly is China supposed to mass troops and material? China is not going to invade an inhabited island in the Philippines...but it never hurts to make doubly sure.

25 million rifles 7 magazines per, about 375 rounds of ammunition per rifle, some cases of law rockets which I would issue to squads with bearers because I want them to volley fire at least 6 at each worthy target be it helicopter or landing craft because any target worth engaging is a target I don't want getting away. Stingers and AT-4's would be better but the US is living payday to payday and I don't want them to run up the credit card any farther.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, robert k said:

if China was actually planning to invade the Philippines

Personally, I Can't see any reason to suspect or even think along these lines, the man is Practically Inviting them to "Come Aboard"

Jack:smile:

Morning All:morning1:

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Personally, I Can't see any reason to suspect or even think along these lines, the man is Practically Inviting them to "Come Aboard"

Jack:smile:

Morning All:morning1:

Well Jack, I did see an article that said Filipinos could fish the waters around the disputed islands again so maybe some good has come of it.

• Like 4