Duterte's Intentions

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Hey Steve said:

did not want the US taxpayer to fund anything connected to this activity.

the US Taxpayer was not funding it. The headline is "US stopped Philippines rifle sale that senator opposed"

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, AlwaysRt said:

the US Taxpayer was not funding it. The headline is "US stopped Philippines rifle sale that senator opposed"

Sometimes aid is given as credit, to be spent on a range of things. It might have been a sale but that doesn't tell you whose credit card was being used.

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Blocking it is stupid just the same. Now the sale will go to China, Russia, or Europe.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Duterte's Intentions;

I am not too sure he actually has any Intentions, More likely he will let the World Pick, Assume (Presume even) his next Moves,  make a list of them and pick a number and Shout obscenities about it. While the rest of the world are sitting and Saying OH! we got that wrong.

JMHO

Edited by Jack Peterson
spelling AGAIN!
  • Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
17 minutes ago, Reboot said:

Blocking it is stupid just the same. Now the sale will go to China, Russia, or Europe.

Anyone going to open a Book? 100/1 says China :whistling:

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted

No reason I can see why it shouldn't be China. Norinco AKA China North Industries makes a pretty good product. They even already make them in 5.56x45mm Nato caliber so commonality of ammo won't be a problem. Norinco also bought all of the original tooling from the US to make the M-14 7.62x51mm rifle. They aren't making copies, they are making originals! And selling them in the US, without selective fire capability.

But if the deal for US rifles was aid to the Philippines, extended as credit for purchase, the US will not be paying China.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
Julia
Posted
Posted
On 10/26/2016 at 8:12 PM, Bruce said:

The current Philippine president, like Trump, is just willing to accept going down in history as 'the bad guy', however their efforts to clean up the mess(es) and make the hard decisions, will in the coming years make things better for their people and future leaders will have something to build on.

The Philippine president and Trump, are simply being 'real men' as were leaders of 50+ years ago. Perhaps more vocal and outspoken then past leaders, but basically, they are exhibiting leadership traits. A president that is always negotiating and compromising gets little done, no one is happy, and the end result is a diluted product.  

So true...

President Duterte is God's answer to the Filipino people's prayer! -  so it says in a local newspaper...

I just don't disagree!

• Like 4

Reboot
Posted
Posted

Expect candlelight vigils
If I was a Filippino living in the United States, I would immediately self-deport. Not due to the rising tide of nationalism and the ascendancy of the God-Emperor to the Cherry Blossom Throne, but simply to bask in the sheer awesomeness of President Duterte:

At least seven members of Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte's security team and two soldiers were injured in a roadside bombing ambush by suspected Muslim militants. The attack took place ahead of the president's planned visit to the south of the country, AFP reported citing the president and the Armed Forces.

An explosive device planted along the road detonated when the presidential convoy headed to Marawi, the capital of Lanao del Sur province on the island of Mindanao, the second-largest island of the Philippines. “The truck carrying the president's advance security detail was hit by an improvised explosive device,” Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said, as cited by Reuters. “There was no firefight.”

Lorenzana said that he advised Duterte to cancel his visit to Marawi, scheduled for Wednesday, as the situation is “still not under control.” The president chose to ignore the advice. Never one to take the easy way out, the combative Duterte said that “The advice was to postpone. I said no, I will go there. And if possible, take the same route,” the president was cited by Reuters, and added that “Maybe we can have a little gunfight here, gunfight there.”

I am confident that President Duterte's response to the attack will be temperate, restrained, and proportional. Between Putin, Trump, and Duterte, it appears that the nations are beginning to produce strong leaders worthy of the challenge of the times.

http://voxday.blogspot.com/2016/11/expect-candlelight-vigils.html

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

OK, since you asked,

I've been here since January 2011. I return to the states at least once a year.  

To answer your question I will just state my own opinion without reading any of the other responses. 

If I were a Filipino, I would not have voted for him. There were not very good choices among the candidates without getting more of the same and most Filipinos are/were tired of it. 

Duterte is a hardliner. His intentions are good I say this going by his past performance as a mayor of Davao City. He is a champion of the poor and oppressed. This is his strong point. He is a crime fighter and has proven it.  He hates corruption and dirty politics. 

His ties to Muslims may or may not be good for the country. That remains to be seen His diplomacy sucks. He makes more enemies with his mouth without thinking of the consequences. 

He doesn't know a thing about economics as we have noticed. 

As for expats, who knows what is in the future for us. Expats do a lot for the economy. So, here is my question to you and anyone reading this. What if?

What if he suddenly confiscated all passports of foreigners like China has done?  It's possible. How would the home country of those expats living here in retirement react? 

Food for thought. That's all.

robert k
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

OK, since you asked,

I've been here since January 2011. I return to the states at least once a year.  

To answer your question I will just state my own opinion without reading any of the other responses. 

If I were a Filipino, I would not have voted for him. There were not very good choices among the candidates without getting more of the same and most Filipinos are/were tired of it. 

Duterte is a hardliner. His intentions are good I say this going by his past performance as a mayor of Davao City. He is a champion of the poor and oppressed. This is his strong point. He is a crime fighter and has proven it.  He hates corruption and dirty politics. 

His ties to Muslims may or may not be good for the country. That remains to be seen His diplomacy sucks. He makes more enemies with his mouth without thinking of the consequences. 

He doesn't know a thing about economics as we have noticed. 

As for expats, who knows what is in the future for us. Expats do a lot for the economy. So, here is my question to you and anyone reading this. What if?

What if he suddenly confiscated all passports of foreigners like China has done?  It's possible. How would the home country of those expats living here in retirement react? 

Food for thought. That's all.

Duterte could announce that the government is giving all foreigners 10k pesos. I would consider that equally likely as that he would order the confiscation of all foreigners passports. People could starve to death on food for thought like this.

As for the economy, the stock market may have gone down but how large a percentage of Filipinos are in the market, 3% or less? I haven't heard of businesses failing wholesale?

• Like 1