Filipinas and Sandals

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted
On 11/27/2016 at 7:12 PM, OnMyWay said:

They are working on the other half of our duplex, all wearing slippers.  I don't know how they avoid more frequent injuries.  I walked over there just to discuss something with them, wearing my slippers, and caught me little toe on a piece of jagged concrete.  Had to walk back dripping blood.

They had a welder over yesterday installing railings.  He wears a couple of towels over his face and head, with a slit for his eyes.  No eye protection at all.  I thought that you would go blind quickly like that???

The Towels are for his sweat, and while he is welding he keeps his eyes shut !!

as for flip flops one of or trike terminals is " The crossing " which is a little before the junction of the national highway

and surprise surprise it was raining and we needed to go the Robinsons Mall about quarter  a mile further on from " The crossing "

which meant having to pass the place at the junction where the traffic officers and police sit and our Trike driver was wearing flip flops

and that meant we had to get off at  "The crossing and walk !! " 

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Steve GCC said:

SO says slippers i say flip flops, but we both know what we mean

And then there are some who call them "thongs"

2 : a sandal held on the foot by a thong fitting between the toes and connected to a strap across the top or around the sides of the foot.

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 11/27/2016 at 6:49 PM, sonjack2847 said:

With the lack of health and safety over here it amazes me that there are not more accidents.I see men wearing slippers in a construction site and it makes me cringe.

Yesterday we had a delivery of construction materials.  The driver did not help with anything.  1 guy was up on the flatbed truck handing the stuff to the 2 guys who actually did all the work, carrying everything up our two small flights of stairs to the front of the house.

All wearing sandals of course.  One guy was amazing.  The guy on the truck would stack 2 40 kg bags of cement on his shoulders, and he would walk it up to the house, then gently dump one at time in the stack.  80 kgs is a lot for a skinny, but tall, guy to carry.  It is a lot for a big guy!  The other guy only did one at a time.

I cringe when I think what could happen if he caught a flip flop on the stairs and took a tumble with 80 kg on his back!  Actually I had a backache after just watching them.  :smile:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

Dumaguete has an Ordinance in Place that Trike Drivers must wear Long Pants and Covered feet (Shoes/ Trainers :hystery:) It seems to be working as the fines are Handed out quite regularly. According to our Cousin (A Trike owner driver) Anyone caught 3 or more times gets a licence ban, Owners apparently are responsible for the correct attire here now (of any driver) and their misdemeanors go against the Owner Also. YES! we still see trike Drivers in Shorts and Slippers but it is declining

I might add that of course, this is LAW for all but the LTO in Dumaguete are getting hot on this issue so a separate Ordinance was done to cover Trike Drivers

Edited by Jack Peterson
added a line
  • Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

And then there are some who call them "thongs"

Hmm.....I believe there is another definition but I don't recall what is that exactly.  I do know it has something to do with toes?

55 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

a thong fitting between the toes and connected to a strap across the top or around the sides

• Like 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jake said:

Hmm.....I believe there is another definition but I don't recall what is that exactly.  I do know it has something to do with toes?

And if there are toes then you aren't being... ummm...mislead by counterfeit goods.

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
  • Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, Reboot said:

And if there are toes then you aren't being... ummm...mislead by counterfeit goods.

Removed image as google gave a warning just recently. 

Reboot
Posted
Posted
Just now, Jollygoodfellow said:

Removed image as google gave a warning just recently. 

Woops! I'll be more careful.

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Reboot said:

Woops! I'll be more careful.

Just blame it on your voodoo mother in law.....the she devil made you do it.  

• Like 2