NBI Clearance Experience, A Short Story

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I finally submitted my paperwork for NBI Clearance today, with the hope I can get my probationary 13A soon.  They said the clearance would be ready in 25 days.  Is that your experience?  Here is my looooong story.

On the NBI website, it appears to indicate that there is not a local office where we could get it.  So my wife asked her contact at city hall about it, and she directed us to the Olongapo NBI office where it could be done.  Website error #1.

On the website, it says that absolutely positively have to have the form filled out and submitted online, pay, and you get an appointment.  Website error #2.

We stopped by the office last Monday and my wife poked her head in to find out what was going on.  They said "come on in, no online form or appointment needed".  However, the time was not right so we didn't go that day.  We noticed that the NBI offices are surrounded by sari sari type businesses who have launched into the online form filling business, even though a sign in front of NBI says "free form filling inside" or something like that.

Over the next couple of days I found the online form and read how to do it all, so I went ahead with that route.  I filled in the form, got a reference number, made an appointment for Friday AM, and then attempted to pay for it through their online partners, one of which was BPI online.  Actually, it is Dragonpay through BPI bill pay.  Well, of course BPI website was down Wednesday night / Thursday morning.  So Thursday I went down to the bank and their BPI Express terminal worked.  Got into the bill pay and there is no payee Dragon 01, as stated in the instructions.  So I asked the manager about it and she came over and checked, even reading the printout of the NBI instructions.  No luck.  Website error #3.

Back online at home later, I could not see a way to change the payment method selected, so I had no way to pay online, thus my application would not be submitted.

Back down to the office this morning around 11 am, accompanied by my wife and two shorties.  A very nice guy at the greeting desk told us what to do (start over with the manual process) and which windows to go to.  Unfortunately he also pointed out that I was wearing shorts and sandals, thus could not proceed.  My wife explained "we just came from the hospital", so he said, ok, go on in.  Go figure!

I felt a bit strange wading through the crowd in my shorts.  No other shorts to be seen.  So we go directly to window 1 as instructed.  In retrospect, I think I cut in but I'm not sure.  The window 1 guy was also very nice.  He gave me the manual form to fill out, and told me I needed a 2X2 passport photo and a copy of my passport.  Website omission  #4.  Headed home to get the required items.  The window 1 guy tells us they close at 4:30 PM.

Decided to stop at Extremely Expresso for lunch.  I didn't realize it until it was too late, but my wife told me Subic Steve from the forum here was leaving with his family as we came in, but I did not notice, so a shout out to Steve.  Hope all is well!  My wife said your son has really grown a lot.  I was busy chasing our little rugrat so I missed you.  For the first time, I ordered the highly recommended thin crust pizza, and it was very good.  I'm munching the two leftover pieces right now!  We sat near a big window into the pizza oven area and watched them prepare the pizza.

Back home, grabbed a photo, made a passport copy, and filled in the manual form.  Same info as I had filled in online.  Pulled on my very hot long jeans and headed back to NBI.

Upon arrival at around 2 pm, the same greeter guy tells us we have arrived past the cutoff.  After a few words with my wife, he guides us to window 1 again.  I don't know what she told him, but it worked.  Maybe she told him we had to go back to the hospital.  This time I wait behind a couple of guys, while the rugrat entertains the crowd of 75-100 waiting.  My best guess is that window 1 is the "manual form" and cashier window.  The guy checked my form, I paid him p165 and he gave me an OR. 

Next, he asked me how old I was, and I said 60.  Go to window 3 and go to the front.  You are a senior citizen.  Oh, ok.  He then closed the window.  So much for closing at 4:30.  It was around 2:10.  It turns our that almost all the people waiting are those who made online applications and are waiting for the digital finger printing and photo.  They have the chair rotation method going where when 3 or get up and stand at the window, the others move along 3 or 4 chairs.  Some must have been waiting for hours.  I jump in back of the 3 who are waiting at the window, feeling guilty about going to the front.  I don't think I look 60 as I have been lucky enough to retain all my hair with just a touch of gray in the sideburns.  So what they saw was a big giant foreigner cutting the line, or just being stupid because he doesn't know the rules.  My wife told me later that some were grumbling to her, and she told them it was allowed because we had been there in the morning.  She did not know right then that I had used the senior citizen privilege.  She made a show of going to window 1 and talking loudly to the guy about why I had gone there directly, and he told her about the SC.   She was like "Oh, senior citizen" in a very loud voice so others could hear!

So it is my turn at window 3.  He manually keys all of the data from my manual form into the computer, while the others who followed the rules and submitted online wait behind me.  All 10 digits digitally fingerprinted and a digital head shot.  He directs me to the Admin building next door to also get manual fingerprinting.  Did you have this done?

So we all go next door and a guy that had helped me park earlier guides to an inside office.  There was a vicious looking guard dog asleep under the front reception desk.  It was slightly larger than a Chihauhua, stockier, and had on a very wide collar.  It never moved the whole time we were there.  We are the only customers in the office.  My daughter immediately notices that they have a Winnie the Pooh clock and is excited.  She likes to rearrange chairs so she started rearranging the office.

Nobody else is getting manual fingerprints.  A guy is there but not helping us, and he tells us the finger print guy is "out back" so take a seat and wait.  And wait.  And wait.  The kids are tired and cranky, so we make a quick run to the car so they and my wife can wait there.  I went back inside and waited.  And waited.  Finally the guy tells me just wait and someone will be there, and leaves me alone in the office.  After 10 minutes or so, a lady comes in and I recognize her from the windows.  I think she is a sup as they were asking her questions.  She says "Come on, I'll show you how to do your finger prints".  I thought she was joking but she was not!  She showed me how it was done and helped me a bit, but the results was probably the worst set of finger prints ever done!  All 5 on each hand, then, 4 fingers together and thumbs on each hand.  It looked like child's finger painting.  She was very nice about it and then took everything into the office where I assume she signed off on it in the little boxes marked for that.  I hope that the finger painting does not become an issue.  I do have an honest face, I am told.  Bye bye, come back in 25 days.

So I looked for a place to wash my inky hands and a guy points me to a ramshackle CR, but then says "Do you have wipes?"  He knew we had the babies and said wipes were the best for the ink, so I headed out, holding my ink stained hands in front of me.  With some difficulty, I was able to open the car door and and get wipes from my waiting wife, which did work fairly well on the ink.  I think we finally left at about 3:40.

All in all, it was still a pleasant experience at the NBI office because the employees were very nice.  I think I saw a sign somewhere that said "ISO Certified 1963".  It was very hot in the main waiting area but I was not there too long.  When I cut the line it got very hot as I could feel the eyes of the people waiting behind me burning holes in my back!  When we went to the Admin office, they had cold air con there so I was comfortable.  I was nervous about using the senior citizen privilege as some here on the forum have said it is illegal for a foreigner to do so.  The fact that I was at a law enforcement office, following their directions, somewhat reassured me that I would not be immediately arrested.

Another day of retirement gone in the Philippines!  :smile:

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
15 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

I was nervous about using the senior citizen privilege as some here on the forum have said it is illegal for a foreigner to do so.

I think there is a difference from a Mcdonald's store and a government office.

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted

Discount card is illegal for foreigners. Different altogether. I get the two headed calf look when a guard offers to put me at the head of the line and I refuse. I started getting that touch of gray when I was 12.

• Like 2

Ram1957
Posted
Posted

When I got my NBI clearance I flew to Manila and got it at the NBI Clearance Center on UN Avenue. I didn't have to go through all the hassles that you went through. I was there at 6am and there was a line up of about 300 Filipinos already. But I didn't have to wait due to the fact they have a line for foreigners only. So I bypassed the line went up to the 3rd floor where no one was waiting. Went to the counter, gave them my paperwork and had a picture and electronic fingerprint done. Had to wait for a hour for the fingerprint tech to get in and then had to get my fingerprints the old way. They said to come back in two days to pick up the clearance. Had my sister in law pick up the clearance and LBC it to me. So I ended up getting my clearance in 3 days. Have to go again in April to have it updated for my 13A permanent and was told then I would get it the same day. On the updated clearance they just check the computer since you are already in the system.

• Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Ram1957 said:

When I got my NBI clearance I flew to Manila and got it at the NBI Clearance Center on UN Avenue. I didn't have to go through all the hassles that you went through. I was there at 6am and there was a line up of about 300 Filipinos already. But I didn't have to wait due to the fact they have a line for foreigners only. So I bypassed the line went up to the 3rd floor where no one was waiting. Went to the counter, gave them my paperwork and had a picture and electronic fingerprint done. Had to wait for a hour for the fingerprint tech to get in and then had to get my fingerprints the old way. They said to come back in two days to pick up the clearance. Had my sister in law pick up the clearance and LBC it to me. So I ended up getting my clearance in 3 days. Have to go again in April to have it updated for my 13A permanent and was told then I would get it the same day. On the updated clearance they just check the computer since you are already in the system.

Looked like about the same process here in Dumaguete when we were at NBI getting a clearance for my wife.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Well sorry to burst your bubble but when I went here in Dumaguete, I took a copy of my PP and some photos and was all done and dusted in 45 minutes.I was told they would tex me when I could pick it up which they did.It took about a 15 minute wait when I picked it up.I do simpathise with anyone who follows government websites here as the requirements always seem to change once you get to the office.

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

Well sorry to burst your bubble but when I went here in Dumaguete, I took a copy of my PP and some photos and was all done and dusted in 45 minutes.I was told they would tex me when I could pick it up which they did.It took about a 15 minute wait when I picked it up.I do simpathise with anyone who follows government websites here as the requirements always seem to change once you get to the office.

Sounds like it's worth the trip to visit fair Dumaguete to get a NBI clearance and eat at D&C Chicken.:thumbsup:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

I do simpathise with anyone who follows government websites here as the requirements always seem to change once you get to the office.

Actually I forgot that part.  I'm a web guy by nature.  My wife believes in verbal contact to verify what is going on.  Now I see why and I need to let her do that first.

A few weeks ago we went to PSA and my wife told the security guard / greeter what it said we should do on the website.  He really scolded us and said never to believe the website!

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted

My wife needed to get her NBI in Toronto so she called the Philippine Consulate to see about it. Yes, bring your PP, a 2X2 photo, a self addressed stamped envelope (or return to pick it up in 2 days), and $37.50. We go there take a number, pay the fee, fill out the application, give the photo and envelope. Then we wait, 3 days, then 5 days so she calls. Told to wait a week. We wait 8 days, then call again. They will look into it. Then after 14 days, we call again. Oh yes, here it is do you want us to mail it? No, we will pick it up. It takes 2 buses and a subway to get there. We gets there and are told that the releases are only after 3 PM. We got there at 10 AM. I explained that we waited 2 weeks already so then they gave it to us. 

Next day, we Fedex it to Manila, again with a self addressed return Fedex envelope with instructions from both us and Fedex to return the NBI Clearance in the supplied postage paid envelope. We track it, it gets there next day. 3 days later, I get an email that it is completed and to come pick it up. I reply with a copy of the mail back instructions and wait. A week goes by and nothing. I send another email and wait. 10 days now and nothing. I look up the address and Fedex is across the street from NBI. I give NBI the phone number and address of Fedex, saying to call and Fedex will pick it up. We wait. After 2 weeks, my wife calls her sister in Bulacan to go to NBI, bring it across the street to Fedex. She goes there and was told that they gave it to Fedex that morning. We got it next day.

All in all, it took 29 days, a few phone calls, a few emails, and lots of frustration. You can take Filipinos out of the Philippines but you can't take a Filipino out of a Filipino.

• Like 2