Receiving mail in the Philippines

MartyC
Posted
Posted

Is there a good way to receive mail from the states in the Philippines? Not packages per se, just forwarded mail from my old address and such. I know it could take weeks or months to receive it but are there PO boxes to rent possibly ? I wonder if USPS would even forward it with a regular stamp on it. 

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, MartyC said:

Is there a good way to receive mail from the states in the Philippines? Not packages per se, just forwarded mail from my old address and such. I know it could take weeks or months to receive it but are there PO boxes to rent possibly ? I wonder if USPS would even forward it with a regular stamp on it. 

I changed my address with people in the UK and my post gets sent here now and takes up to 6 weeks to arrive.

• Like 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, MartyC said:

been here since 2011 and the mail delivery service or lack of service is almost non existant !

we have a PO box no in the university post office which is where we collect most of our mail from.

As for having mail delivered to your door anywhere outside of metro manila is like winning the Lottery !

if you need to send or receive important documents from the US then its got to be UPS from the Philippines

it has to be LBC its more expensive yes but at least you will know it will get there.

roughly 90% of our ordinary mail is opened before we get it !

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, MartyC said:

Do a search here on the forum for "mail forwarding" or "mail service", and you will find many discussions.  There are many mail forwarding services in the U.S. who will give you a U.S. address that USPS will deliver your mail to, and then they can forward it to via several methods.  Most offer the chance to view the envelopes online before you decide what to do with it, and there are many other options.

You will need to file a form with U.S.P.S. that requires a U.S. Notary.  There are discussions on that too.

Added by edit:  If you happen to be ex U.S. military and live near an R.A.O. here, you may have some options for good U.S. mail service.  Some of our members here are able to avail of that and might be able to elaborate.  The mail never touches the Philippine mail system so the service is quite good.

Edited by OnMyWay
  • Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

After many yeas of Trial and error, I now have my mail sent to Azon's office yet still, it has to be Fetched from their box Number.

Seems there Mission Statement needs altering, "You send, we deliver" needs sometime in the Future added :89:  Luckily I tend to know when things are due here for me so I go to the PO myself 

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Before I moved here I had our mail forwarded to my sister's address for a year. since most of it was not important mail, they sorted through it and periodically mailed anything in a large envelope that was deemed important or desired.  Maybe you could have a friend or family member do the same. I guess we're lucky in our place in Cebu province. We get letters and cards from abroad and local too, delivered right to our house. It seems that mail coming from the US gets here quickly and easily and so far always intact. Now sending mail out of the province is more of a crap shoot. Maybe because it changes hands more? We now bring all our abroad going mail to the main post office in Cebu City. So far that has worked out well for us.

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I just use a mail forwarding service from the US.  It takes 6-8 weeks to get my mail, but I have always gotten it.  Over the last 4 years I have had 2 driver's licenses, 2 ATM cards, and quite a few credit cards sent over here. All arrived. Slow, but no problems.  One of the guys that works at the post office lives nearby so sometimes he will just bring it to the house on his way home from work.  If we owe a fee (very common) he just lets us know the mail is there.

• Like 2

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, sonjack2847 said:

I changed my address with people in the UK and my post gets sent here now and takes up to 6 weeks to arrive.

Kev,  Does that go direct to your home address in Duma or do you have to collect via the post office or box number etc?

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Eddie1 said:

Kev,  Does that go direct to your home address in Duma or do you have to collect via the post office or box number etc?

It comes straight to the house.I had the same in Dalaguete. I don`t know how long they keep it in the PO though,but none of it is that important nowadays.I have heard of some people who find it easier for one reason or another to collect it themselves.

Edited by sonjack2847
Add info
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

9 hours ago, Eddie1 said:

It comes straight to the house.I had the same in Dalaguete.

There was a report from the local PO manager in the paper not long ago that basically said they did a survey to see which Areas warranted a Home Delivery Service. So as cash was Low in the budget they have not bee replacing workers who leave but Adding to the work load of others (Sound normal?)

They Do take a bit more care where a Signature is required as questions will be asked if not Delivered in a reasonable time 

I have talked to our Delivery man at times he calls  and he told me where there are big Business men and Such, Larger Sub Divisions are more likely to get what we would call, :89: a normal delivery. From this I gathered it is once again, who you are and where you live has a lot to do with many things.

Have you noticed that your Smart (PLDT) or Globe Statements are brought by Private carrier (courier) This I think says a Lot

Jack:thumbsup:

:morning1:  Morning All & a Special Gudday to Steve who  censored.png :hystery:

Edited by Jack Peterson
added a line about signatures
  • Like 1