Balakbayan boxes ex Thailand

mogo51
Posted
Posted

After establishing the location of the LBC office in Pattaya last week, went to see them to get an idea of costs shipping our goods from Pattaya to Nth. Luzon in July 17.

Very helpful people, looking to use the 'Jumbo box' and think we will have 8-10.  Good news that there is no tax at Philippines end announced yesterday.

I have been told 2-3 weeks delivery time, but it will not be an issue really for us, nothing urgently needed when we arrive.

Any members done a similar thing of late from Thailand to Phils and if so, could you share the experience please?  I have been quoted between 5-5.5k per box, boxes cost 300.  Does this seem right?  Thank you all in advance.

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Mogo51,

Can't say about Thailand.  But that is in the ballpark of what we pay from the East Coast of the US.  I suppose there is much more volume from the US hence the price.  Last time we shipped a BB box they charged $10 for the box.  If you then shipped through them, the cut the shipping from $95. down to $85.  There has been some talk lately about tax on BB boxes.  Many people are under the impression that there is no tax on BB shipping.  All the shippers we used in the US never charged a separate tax.  It was included in that price for shipping.  I was told customs usually charged a flat rate to the shipper for their container of BB boxes and they know how many will fit per container.  A while back, some shippers were filling containers with non-allowable items in BB boxes such as large TVs, Ref, and other large furniture and items.  This would have been okay as long as they claimed it and paid the tax.  But many were not and customs started checking and did a crackdown.  Since then, it has been hard to find a BB shipper who will take anything that does not fit into standard sizes of BB boxes. 

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, mogo51 said:

quoted between 5-5.5k per box, boxes cost 300

It is hard to compare prices unless you know somebody that has shipped from Thailand before.  There maybe hidden fees / taxes in the flat price you see that make the price higher.

Compared to my box I received today, that price seems a bit high considering the short haul from BKK to PH.  There may not be a lot of demand and competition from Thailand too.  My LBC box from Los Angeles to Subic was $75 and I think the box was free.

Side note, the agent I used in Ohio when I moved sold us the boxes for $5 each, but gave that as a credit when we shipped.  So the boxes were free.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

It is hard to compare prices unless you know somebody that has shipped from Thailand before.  There maybe hidden fees / taxes in the flat price you see that make the price higher.

Compared to my box I received today, that price seems a bit high considering the short haul from BKK to PH.  There may not be a lot of demand and competition from Thailand too.  My LBC box from Los Angeles to Subic was $75 and I think the box was free.

Side note, the agent I used in Ohio when I moved sold us the boxes for $5 each, but gave that as a credit when we shipped.  So the boxes were free.

I think you are correct in you assessment, there appears to be little competition, Fedex and DHL but they are traditionally very expensive.

I will make some more inquiries and also see if I can negotiate more with the LBC office here.  It was only a preliminary inquiry, so maybe I can get them down some.  Thanks for the heads up.