Our House Construction

intrepid
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

And, the AEG instant water heaters I was talking about in another thread.  According to the manual, the heater must be grounded.  Mine has a ground wire coming in but I have no idea where it is grounded, as the rest of the house is not grounded.  Probably attached to a pipe somewhere.

Attached to a water pipe may be okay in older homes if all the pipe is metal.  Problem is after a few years there are leaks and someone now replaces the old metal pipe with new plastic pipe of some kind.  No problem, your feet will work good for a ground!:pufff:.   Don, I'm not sure but I would be inclined to run a ground wire out the window to a earth ground rod if there were no other way.  Like I said above, I'm scared and respect electric!  Maybe talk to a local electrician and get some advise. Even here in the Philippines codes have changed.  Might not be as bad as you think.  Think safety first!

• Like 5

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

And, the AEG instant water heaters I was talking about in another thread.  According to the manual, the heater must be grounded.  Mine has a ground wire coming in but I have no idea where it is grounded, as the rest of the house is not grounded.  Probably attached to a pipe somewhere.

and plumbed in plastic          :Caught:

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, intrepid said:

In the past I have been shocked with 115 and 220 volts and one thing I can assure you is, I don't like it!  While on the safety subject, another lazy streak I had in my past was safety glasses.  Hated them and they were never available or where I could remember I last placed them.

Now I have safety glasses in several locations in my workshop that I try to put on over my glasses to protect them.  Seems silly, I would not put on safety glasses to protect my eyes. But I will put safety glasses on to protect my glasses. Never thought about that before.  Hmmm   :89:

The 60 hertz dance from 115 or 220VAC is an unpleasant reminder that I was stupid again.  As far as the electrical grid within your home, I think it would be imperative to have that 2 meter grounding rod to capture any electrical spikes and shunt it to ground immediately.  For example, a lightning strike nearby could wipe out your critical electronics devices (TV, computers, stereo system) if you don't have earth ground.  Additionally, I would have this unit plugged in to feed those high ticket items:

Voltage Regulator.JPG about 70 bucks from Amazon.  

https://www.amazon.com/ELC-TR-2000-Voltage-Regulator-Transformer/dp/B00MCWSYWA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489684374&sr=8-1&keywords=voltage+stabilizers

Regarding safety glasses, I use them all the time even while driving.  Those amber yellow ones really cuts down the intensity of approaching headlights.  They even have bifocals. 

• Like 3

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Unfortunately since all our piping is plastic... I bet the water heater grounding strap is not connected to anything.  Sucks, but such is life here.

...and I was so safety conscious in the US. Ear plugs, safety glasses, rubber gloves...

• Like 5

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

:Caught::56da64b64cbd8_36_6_31::1927_::56da64b51da2f_36_1_681: does it work?  

1 hour ago, i am bob said:

Made me wonder...  There are a few outlets here that are made to be grounded so I checked the easiest one...  It has a ground wire leading off from the outlet and is clamped to a pipe...  A plastic pipe!!!

:571c66d400c8c_1(103):

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted

That is what I was saying,..don't you love them plastic pipes!:89:

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Jake said:

The 60 hertz dance from 115 or 220VAC is an unpleasant reminder that I was stupid again.  As far as the electrical grid within your home, I think it would be imperative to have that 2 meter grounding rod to capture any electrical spikes and shunt it to ground immediately.  For example, a lightning strike nearby could wipe out your critical electronics devices (TV, computers, stereo system) if you don't have earth ground.  Additionally, I would have this unit plugged in to feed those high ticket items:

Voltage Regulator.JPG about 70 bucks from Amazon.  

https://www.amazon.com/ELC-TR-2000-Voltage-Regulator-Transformer/dp/B00MCWSYWA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489684374&sr=8-1&keywords=voltage+stabilizers

Regarding safety glasses, I use them all the time even while driving.  Those amber yellow ones really cuts down the intensity of approaching headlights.  They even have bifocals. 

Those yellow ones seem to be real popular here. And with the night driving in the country here being what it is, I can see why.

• Like 2