Our House Construction

Gary D
Posted
Posted

I'm struggling with the concept of starting internal finishing before the room is on.:89:

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, stevewool said:

How is the budget going, it does look good too.

The cost is the cost agreed upon before construction began.  There was a down payment of one third when construction began back in November.  A second payment made early March.  A third payment will be due end of next month and a final payment when completed.  Some changes have been made by both my wife and me and the builder with our approval.  The builder also has offered several upgrades and additions.  None of which has added to the budget.  As mentioned before we are so happy with our builder.  He has gone far and above what we could have ever hoped for.  That said, here is the only example where we may pay a little additional;  He decided to add some decorative bricks to some of the interior walls in the living room and also the front porch.  Not part of the original contract.  This was not going to change our costs.  However, my wife does not like the one he choose so we told him we will pick another and pay if the costs is over for the bricks.  Again with all the horror stories I have heard and read about here in the Philippines, I was expecting and prepared for all kinds of issues.  Over my years in the USA I experienced a lot of stresses in many aspects of business, pleasure and life in general.  So, like anywhere, you have good and bad.  We got the good here this time.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, intrepid said:

Over my years in the USA I experienced a lot of stresses in many aspects of business, pleasure and life in general.  So, like anywhere, you have good and bad.  We got the good here this time.

Well done Danny!  Are you going to install a security alarm system?  Perhaps a couple big German Shepherds or may be a 50 cal machine gun?  

• Like 1

intrepid
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jake said:

Well done Danny!  Are you going to install a security alarm system?  Perhaps a couple big German Shepherds or may be a 50 cal machine gun?  

Thinking of one of these on each wall and one in the balcony.  Now just need to find the men to operate them.

firearms_mg_m2.jpg

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, intrepid said:

Now just need to find the men to operate them.

Easy :hystery: security man.jpg here is one you could approach  :huh:

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Gary D said:

I'm struggling with the concept of starting internal finishing before the room is on.:89:

Gary,  Things are not done here the way we are used to in colder areas.  Also terms used are somewhat different.  When we say finishing the interior walls, it means smoothing the block walls with a finer sand and cement mixture.  Also in my case they added the bathroom wall tiles, starting to pull some electric wires.  No wood or paint as of yet.  Nothing that a little sun or rain would hurt.  I have a lot of hands construction experience in my background.  Took engineering n college.  Although not a professional, I have a pretty good handle with whats going on.  When walking around on my daily checks and observations I don't think there has been more than three incidents where I noted a small mistake and then nothing structural.  Sometimes I explain to the men how we would have done this or that but with different tools and supplies. I get along well with the the foreman and work crew and never point out any mistakes.  I just send a text later to the architect and let him tell them to correct it.  Now if ever I saw something I felt was very wrong and costly to correct if they continued, I would most likely ask them to stop until we could clear it up with the architect.

sorry, got a little long and off your question

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Easy :hystery: security man.jpg here is one you could approach  :huh:

Well now.  I guess if I hired him and said anyone crossing the wall is an illegal drug dealer they would be arrested or,...without question.  If you have his phone number let him know I'm hiring.  :hystery:

• Like 3

Gary D
Posted
Posted

They must do thing different in your part of the Philippines. When our house was built it was the usual shell and roof first. In the rural areas the finishing can be done years later if at all.

• Like 5

Jake
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, intrepid said:

Thinking of one of these on each wall and one in the balcony.  Now just need to find the men to operate them.

firearms_mg_m2.jpg

I think I'm still qualified -- was team leader on my last ship that had 4 mounts.  Can probably punch a tight grouping at a distance of 1 yard....he, he.  

• Like 3

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
On 5/1/2017 at 2:17 PM, Jake said:

I think I'm still qualified -- was team leader on my last ship that had 4 mounts.  Can probably punch a tight grouping at a distance of 1 yard....he, he.  

Last 50 I fired was a reacer on the back of a 105.   That way close counts 

• Like 2