How much should you put by for your childs education.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

In a few years I will be selling my house in the UK.

It will give me money to last until I get my state pension.I would like to ask of those of you who already have children in the system for a ball park figure of how much I should put aside for my daughters education.

I am thinking that she will eventually go to university.(somewhere like Silliman) I will have enough to build a house and an apartment to rent out and living expenses.There will be some left over but it will depend on what I spend on the building work.So if education is say 5 million then I can work around that figure.Thanks for any ideas you can give me.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted

Silliman Estimated Tuition & Fees http://su.edu.ph/page/153-estimated-tuition-an

• Like 2

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted

Not University but I sponsor SO's step sister who is extremely bright, 13 year old at Science School.  It costs 5k Peso per month for extra classes, books, uniforms, lunch, trike rideetc and they have lots of field trips etc.  Its still a free state school but the sundries soon add up for them.

Makes me feel good to help out as if not she would have been at ordinary school.

• Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

Silliman Estimated Tuition & Fees http://su.edu.ph/page/153-estimated-tuition-an

Thanks I just checked it out and it is a real help.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Steve GCC said:

Not University but I sponsor SO's step sister who is extremely bright, 13 year old at Science School.  It costs 5k Peso per month for extra classes, books, uniforms, lunch, trike rideetc and they have lots of field trips etc.  Its still a free state school but the sundries soon add up for them.

Makes me feel good to help out as if not she would have been at ordinary school.

Yes mate it`s always the add ons that catch people out.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Things are Great for many But and there is always some But's it is when the K12 comes around, at age 16 it can get very expensive. If the school our kids are at do Not offer K12 ( and many Don't) they have to Change, yes the DepEd give you 17.500 Grant but you have to Find the Rest, Now for Siliman ( Mine Changed this Year) Tuition for this year was 52.000 - 1750 = 34.500 + all the Add ons. Depending on courses taken the Add ons can be Crippling. So if you Kids are getting near that K12 age you will need to Research a little and Factor all this in.

• Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Things are Great for many But and there is always some But's it is when the K12 comes around, at age 16 it can get very expensive. If the school our kids are at do Not offer K12 ( and many Don't) they have to Change, yes the DepEd give you 17.500 Grant but you have to Find the Rest, Now for Siliman ( Mine Changed this Year) Tuition for this year was 52.000 - 1750 = 34.500 + all the Add ons. Depending on courses taken the Add ons can be Crippling. So if you Kids are getting near that K12 age you will need to Research a little and Factor all this in.

Is that 52,000p for Grade 12? That is more than the BA courses at the same place.

My girls are in UNOR and College, 3rd and 4th year. UNOR tuition is more than Silliman and Riverside College is about the same. About the add ons (sundries) I get those "By the way, Dad, I need......" quite often. It may be 50% on top of the tuition. What I find silly is they cannot buy used books even though the books are 2006 edition, they reshuffle the chapters every year to make the students buy new. The school prints and binds them but pages fall out within 2 weeks. Same with uniforms (2 each), each year is a different style, different shoes.. Transportation, extra events, gifts, extra books, crafts, projects, retreats, and more books, etc School was out last Friday but one had to go twice this week and the other had to go today.

Edited by jpbago

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

Well judging by the information if I put aside 50,000 away for each month it should be more than enough.I think I will put the money in a time deposit account so as she gets interest on it.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, jpbago said:

Is that 52,000p for Grade 12? That is more than the BA courses at the same place.

Unfortunately what they say and the net result are two Totally Different things. Common Ground Tuition is the Basic Price, from K 12 up there are courses that cost extra, Believe me. I spent many hours  figuring it all Out and as I say this Year Has Cost me 34.500 and the Add ons are Daily. I will never believe at First reading what any of these Institutions tell me with regard to Tuition Fees, This is another Boots on the Ground job and actually paying for it to realize what a Con Education is here (Especially the K 12) But it is what the Princes wanted and as an Only Child of this time around, we have allowed it. I am sure she never listened when we told her we doubted she will go into the profession she desires (As many don't) but We all know Kids EH?

All in all it is about 1.000 per week over the full year and she has no Classes on Mondays

Edited by Jack Peterson
just added a line
  • Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Looking at it this way, Education here to it's maximum is like Buying a car, you got a standard Price and get what you pay for, a Standard Car

Buy the next level up it costs, Then when you buy all the extras WOW! To me it is the same Mentality. So when I sat in the Office I said OK give it to me Straight Bottom line, is with all she wants to do. This is what they do not Explain on there Website. The Cost they quote is just for Basic Tuition.

Of course YMMV but I doubt anyone will fault this after you have gone through it.

• Like 3