Irish nurse facing 14 years in Philippines prison makes video appeal

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

I dont think his goverment is going to help much at all. :89:

Irish nurse Eanna O’Cochlain, 55, from Cork, who is facing 14 years prison in the Philippines for a minor cannabis possession charge he denies, has issued a video appealing to the Irish public and government to help him.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/irish-nurse-facing-14-years-in-philippines-prison-makes-video-appeal-1.2917635

robert k
Posted
Posted

I would hope that it isn't necessary but I'm going to say it anyway. If this guy has already had a trial, his charge predates Duterte's administration by a substantial time period. 

I don't have a clue whether he is guilty of possession or not but he sounds like he is more appalled that possession is a serious crime, than that he was supposedly framed? If framed I would be focusing on that issue rather than complaining about another countries drug laws. It leads me towards a conclusion of what he thinks his priorities are.

• Like 2

Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

It seems that given the current political climate under Duterte that leniency in his case would be most unpopular and that might mean he's going to be paying some dues-as this goes through appeals. Unfortunate timing for this man for sure.

• Like 1

Gator
Posted
Posted

The possssion charge is a bailable offense and from the background in the video I'd guess he's out on bail. If so, why not just skip out and flee the country?

Getting a grey or black (stolen or forged) passport that would stand up to Phils BOI scrutiny at the airport isn't that hard. Or with enough cash he (or a cohort) could charter a private plane and boogie on out. I could be wrong, but I think it's highly unlikely that even if he gets caught again, in say Ireland, that they'd extradite him for such a minor charge. 

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

His wide eyes make him look like he's on shabu.

• Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted

End of the day as a visitor to any country you should know there rules , its not a case of being caught, you should not be doing it anyway

• Like 3

Kiwi-Alan
Posted
Posted

Under the present bounty rules for the police, he may be lucky he did not get a bullet in a shootout. And some more deals planted on his body.  Break the rules and pay the price.  

• Like 1

robert k
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Kiwi-Alan said:

Under the present bounty rules for the police, he may be lucky he did not get a bullet in a shootout. And some more deals planted on his body.  Break the rules and pay the price.  

He has already had a trial, and I believe that must mean that he was arrested under the administration prior to Duterte. He states that he has already been waiting more than 8 months on his appeal.

I shouldn't find it hilarious but I do, that he intends to go on a hunger strike when his appeal fails? I don't think he grasps the reality of Philippine prison as I have heard they don't feed much and someone else would gladly take what he doesn't want. I think he has lost touch with reality. Many people in the Philippines go to bed hungry. I doubt he will garner much pity in prison.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

That's just the way it is.

So, don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

This may become another episode of "Locked Up Abroad"

• Like 1