Irish nurse facing 14 years in Philippines prison makes video appeal

jpbago
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, virginprune said:

Now everybody should know that the drug laws are draconian all over Asia, as well as some other parts of the world.

Most countries are going about it the wrong way. For investors, the time to buy was last year. About this nurse, was he a danger to society? Will the PI be a safer place now?

What’s the potential size of the market?

There are various estimates, but the most recent analyst estimates I’ve seen suggest that the medical cannabis system alone, within a couple of years, will exceed $1.5-billion in Canada, and that the consumer cannabis system will be somewhere between $10-billion and $15-billion a year. This is unlike any business scenario I’ve seen and here’s why: We don’t have to create a market. Some people compare the sector to the dot-coms, but there’s a very big difference in that those companies had to create a market. We don’t. The market exists and it’s mature. There’s already a multibillion-dollar-a-year market for cannabis. The difference is, it’s an illegal market and it’s unregulated. So what we’re doing here is building the capacity to be able to achieve the federal government’s stated policy objectives of keeping cannabis out of the hands of kids and keeping the profit out of the hands of criminals.

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, jpbago said:

Most countries are going about it the wrong way. For investors, the time to buy was last year. About this nurse, was he a danger to society? Will the PI be a safer place now?

We know he didn't intend to obey one law? Who knows what other laws he didn't intend to respect/obey? People who think laws don't apply to them can be dangerous. Maybe the Philippines is showing it's displeasure for his not respecting them? I think that may be part of why he received such a harsh sentence. If he has shown remorse I doubt they would have given him 14 years?

Edited by robert k
  • Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, jpbago said:

What’s the potential size of the market?

There are various estimates, but the most recent analyst estimates I’ve seen suggest that the medical cannabis system alone, within a couple of years, will exceed $1.5-billion in Canada, and that the consumer cannabis system will be somewhere between $10-billion and $15-billion a year. This is unlike any business scenario I’ve seen and here’s why: We don’t have to create a market. Some people compare the sector to the dot-coms, but there’s a very big difference in that those companies had to create a market. We don’t. The market exists and it’s mature. There’s already a multibillion-dollar-a-year market for cannabis. The difference is, it’s an illegal market and it’s unregulated. So what we’re doing here is building the capacity to be able to achieve the federal government’s stated policy objectives of keeping cannabis out of the hands of kids and keeping the profit out of the hands of criminals.

His offence may not make him an immediate danger to society  but I believe once you start making excuses to let someone off the hook it's the start of the rot setting in. The West should be a good example as to what happens once you start letting people off with minor offences.

• Like 4