Expats... Name one thing not found in Philippines

robert k
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Motorhomes. Love to rent one or take ours to the Philippines and camp next to a beach.

Honu Travels.JPG

I will build my own. Mine will be smaller because parking is a female dog of disagreeable temper at the best of times. Then there are the narrow streets/roads. Of course mine will be more along the lines of camping van, not sustained use beyond 2 weeks or so. If I wanted to build a motorhome, I would probably start with a Nissan NV3500 high roof, build from local materials and presumably it could be repaired from local resources.

Edited by robert k
  • Like 4

DavidK
Posted
Posted

Malt vinegar.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted

Fritos:console:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, DavidK said:

Malt vinegar.

That depends where you are living, We bought a bottle of Sarsons Malt Vinegar  sarsons malt vinegar.jpg on  Friday  It was in an out of the Way Brit store and although not generally called for by the Locals, you can get this stuff if you hunt about. 

For those in Dumaguete, check out Cangs ASAP as they have some good stuff in just now.

Heinz baked beans, Fray Bentos Steak and Kidney pies and Puddings to name a couple,

I asked the manager if he could Source Heinz salad cream, He said he would so keep your eyes open. :thumbsup:

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, robert k said:
14 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Motorhomes. Love to rent one or take ours to the Philippines and camp next to a beach.

Honu Travels.JPG

I will build my own. Mine will be smaller because parking is a female dog of disagreeable temper at the best of times. Then there are the narrow streets/roads. Of course mine will be more along the lines of camping van, not sustained use beyond 2 weeks or so. If I wanted to build a motorhome, I would probably start with a Nissan NV3500 high roof, build from local materials and presumably it could be repaired from local resources.

Building you own is a good idea. We have seen a number of van conversions at RV parks. The problem is your utilities like water tank, black and gray water tanks, batteries, inverter, etc. are inside the cab.

To refill the water tank, you just need a garden hose. The black and gray water dump requires access to a sewage system. The shoreline is 30 amps to run all utilities. While there is a conversion cable for regular 2 prong outlets, the power in insufficient to run the cabin air conditioner system.

I am still considering shipping ours to the Philippines after six years and then purchasing a new one. We can bring one vehicle under the Balikbayan program.  By the way, is there Diesel #2 in the Philippines? 

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Bungee cords- elastic cords with a hook at each end.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Guy F. said:

Bungee cords- elastic cords with a hook at each end.

I've bought loads of those here but not lately so I cannot remember where.  I have to admit the ones I bought in Philippines were poorer quality than back home.

Edit:  Here ya go.  Found one for you on Lazada

http://www.lazada.com.ph/new-18inch-elastic-bicycle-motorcycle-bungee-strap-luggage-cordsrope-hooks-4752029.html

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I've bought loads of those here but not lately so I cannot remember where.  I have to admit the ones I bought in Philippines were poorer quality than back home.

Edit:  Here ya go.  Found one for you on Lazada

http://www.lazada.com.ph/new-18inch-elastic-bicycle-motorcycle-bungee-strap-luggage-cordsrope-hooks-4752029.html

I found decent ones at Unitop of all places, they have some crap ones too so look through the gagle on the wall.

robert k
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, JJReyes said:

Building you own is a good idea. We have seen a number of van conversions at RV parks. The problem is your utilities like water tank, black and gray water tanks, batteries, inverter, etc. are inside the cab.

To refill the water tank, you just need a garden hose. The black and gray water dump requires access to a sewage system. The shoreline is 30 amps to run all utilities. While there is a conversion cable for regular 2 prong outlets, the power in insufficient to run the cabin air conditioner system.

I am still considering shipping ours to the Philippines after six years and then purchasing a new one. We can bring one vehicle under the Balikbayan program.  By the way, is there Diesel #2 in the Philippines? 

JJ you must be in low population western states if you are finding #2 diesel, I haven't seen anything but #1 diesel or high sulfur offroad diesel in Texas for years. The only difference between #1 and #2 is #1 is drier (less lubrication and a better solvent) and back when I was a tractor trailer mechanic the #1 would eat through pipe dope that was used on fuel fittings on older trucks. Newer trucks didn't have the problem. I made quite a bit of money replacing the pipe dope with teflon tape. You can add motor oil / 2 stroke oil to #1 diesel to make it "wet" like #2 and to make it have equal lubricating properties.

• Like 1

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted

Benefit scroungers

• Like 1