Expats... Name one thing not found in Philippines

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

I wish they were tied to Major International as my UK card is on Visa it can be used just about anywhere

I used mine in Bali

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I used mine in Bali

Can you order stuff on Line though with it?

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Can you order stuff on Line though with it?

All the time.  Thats the original reason I got it.  (And, unfortunately, the reason "Y" also got one :bash: )

• Like 4

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

This sounds dumb, but good green peas in the can. You know--like Green Giant brand.:smile: Peas here are gray and horrible. Not a lot of variety in canned vegetables here it seems..

robert k
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

This sounds dumb, but good green peas in the can. You know--like Green Giant brand.:smile: Peas here are gray and horrible. Not a lot of variety in canned vegetables here it seems..

Queenie, I have seen just about anything in Del Monte brand you could wish for. I love those Green Giant sweet niblet corn as much as the next but Del Monte is reasonable quality. I made a large pot of peas I bought dry and they took a long time to soak because they still had the skins on them but they turned out good for dinner two nights later than I intended to have them.:smile:

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Not a lot of variety in canned vegetables here it seems..

I try and stay off canned goods for health reasons but if you are up and about real early in the Dumaguete market places you can sometimes get peas in Pods not Often so Yep have to agree the canned peas are lacking in looks as well as taste. We eat a lot of bagio beans (String beans) and the taste is similar to a nice garden pea. We have One particular Supermarket that gets "Smedley's' (UK company) Garden peas but they are very expensive and don't last too long on the shelves ( Greedy Buyers) although we do every now and then get them when we have Guests, As I am the Only one that likes them and Brussels, They tend to go to waste although the Dogs like them and it is a treat for them much to my Wife's annoyance :2245_safe: (just love them Dogs)

Edited by Jack Peterson
punctuation
  • Like 4

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Thanks Robert--maybe you're right. I'll have to keep looking around for more.  I've got some dried yellow peas here I'll soak them tonight!

Queenie:smile:

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

I try and stay off canned goods for health reasons but if you are up and about real early in the Dumaguete market places you can sometimes get peas in Pods not Often so Yep have to agree the canned peas are lacking in looks as well as taste. We eat a lot of bagio beans (String beans) and the taste is similar to a nice garden pea. We have One particular Supermarket that gets "Smedley's' (UK company) Garden peas but they are very expensive and don't last too long on the shelves ( Greedy Buyers) although we do every now and then get them when we have Guests, As I am the Only one that likes them and Brussels, They tend to go to waste although the Dogs like them and it is a treat for them much to my Wife's annoyance :2245_safe: (just love them Dogs)

Oh Jack I agree--canned vegetables are just really a back-up for me here, but sometimes they are a nice addition. Living here in the province I've tried lately to build up a "larder" if I can to try to see how many things I can throw together to make a good meal with a simple base. You know, like canned tomatoes, chicken broth, black beans dry pasta etc. Fresh vegetables are rather lackluster here in our town at the local market, but I can pick up some decent ones here and there, especially the calabasa squash, that we eat a lot of in many dishes. When in the city I try to always find fresh vegetables and am always on the hunt for new ones. They hopefully last until I can get some more. I'd like to buy frozen ones if I could for my larder back-up but they would be thawed out by the time we got home even with a cooler of ice, so that's not an option. I enjoy some Filipino vegetables, but really mostly long to cook the way I always did, so the hunt for imported and standby add- on items keeps me always on the hunt.:smile: It always amazes me how many things are available in your area! You guys are lucky. Cebu is great, but sometimes specialty type items are not always right in front of you.:smile:

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Queenie O. said:

It always amazes me how many things are available in your area! You guys are lucky. Cebu is great, but sometimes specialty type items are not always right in front of you.:smile:

I think the Establishment appreciates that we are a deserving Lot here embarrased  man.jpg :hystery:

Dumaguete is quite a small city with, (according to the BI) over 4.000 Foreigners so it pays to have stuff we like on the shelves when they can.:whistling:

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

I have found the best of the bunch are the Jolly brand, not like bullets compared to the others. My local supermarket sometimes has frozen peas, they are quite good. Watch out though because the packaging is similar to what they call cooked peas, they suit best to a magazine in an AK47!!

• Like 1