Expats... Name one thing not found in Philippines

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
29 minutes ago, Steve GCC said:

ok Queenie.........here goes, follow carefully ;)

We used to brew it in a water cooler bottle which was I suppose around 10 litres.

We bought carton apple juice, try to get which ever one is natural with least e numbers and preservatives.

Get your water bottle, say a 5l one, disinfect under hot water, not boiling as will melt!  Pour cider into it, if 5l bottle put 4l in it, then add say 1/2 pound of sugar, a couple of teaspoons of yeast, we never had brewing yeast so just added baking yeast in KSA!!!

Put hand over top of bottle and shake vigorously. Then get a condom, unroll it and put it over bottle top, pierce a small hole in top of condom with pin and leave it for 10-14 days.  Condom keeps it sterile and also erects while fermenting and deflates once done.

Now syphon off and drink.

We used to syphon into another water cooler bottle and chuck it on the cooler -

If want stronger, little more sugar and yeast on next recipe.

If want clearer, let it settle longer, syphon as above, then pour into another container through coffee filters.  We never did this as had usually run out.

Steve, Thanks! you lost me at the condom part though--not sure if I'm up for all that!:whistling: LOL

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, frosty (chris) said:

Logic

:89: According to my daughter (17) they (The Locals) have Logic but we (The foreigner) doesn't have the logic to understand it. Case is ;

They meet an accident on a M/C and after think, was I going too fast, where as we would say, OH! OH! I am going too fast so lets slow down in case we meet an accident. So the logic is in reverse. Where we see the after effect as consequence  The way they think is a consequence is a reason for thought. So according to her, Their logic is too logical for us to understand. If you can, as we all could I guess, Understand that, Life may just become simpler   :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, jpbago said:

Is that the same as tri sodium phosphate?

OH! I don't know i just know it as Sugar Soap

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Sugar soap; For washing Walls before Painting.  Sugarsoap.jpg

Is that the same as TSP, tri-sodium phosphate (not sure of spelling)?  TSP is what I always used to wash down the walls prior to painting.

Edited by Mike J
I see now that I am not the first to ask that question.

virginprune
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

This coming dry season, my hope is to start a kitchen garden of herb plants in pots in a sunny place on my terrace. There is a herb place that sells a lot of plants I've read about in Cebu, and two other organic places.  For me. herb plants are something that I always grew, and it would be like having old friends back in my yard. That's something I never thought I'd see here.

I bought some potted herbs at a festival down here last July, sweet basil, rosemary, thyme, tarragon and mint. Unfortunately the basil and rosemary died before I could replant, however, the other 3 are doing very well. In fact the mint and tarragon are growing madly, even after spending much of the last few months under at least 4 inches of water, then in direct sunlight for some of the day. At the next festival I shall buy the other two again plus some fennel, celery and possibly an American lemon tree. The lady with the herb stall comes from Bukidnon but only once a year to our T'Nalak festival.

Have also got some chilli, ginger and bell peppers coming up as well as sweet potato and squash. Had a great crop of okra this year but the snake beans got devoured by bugs before we had a chance. Have some tomato plants on the go, looking good but no fruit yet, some yellow flowers appearing though. Looking to grow some eggplants out as well soon, would love to grow mushrooms in my shed but not sure where to start!

Edited by virginprune

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

Wow Virginprune you've had luck with herbs, and that's something to look forward to getting more.

The strong winds and salty sea rain really wreak havoc on many of my plants during the rainy season. They do come back when the dry season starts, but the rainy season especially this month and the next the winds are quite strong at night. I lost my tarragon and the basil that I started from seed that was doing so well. My spearmint has done well and has made many hanging pots full that I give away some sometimes. I use that for a nice squash soup with coconut milk, and it makes a great mojito too!

Your vegetable plants sound good too! My vegetable growing has been hit or miss, so not as fortunate as you. That's why I'm looking forward to putting my herbs in pots so that I can move them around as needed.:smile:

Mushrooms are something that I've been thinking about too. There's a place in Butuan City that sells mushroom kits, Jemel Kent's Mushroom Farm, and I thought that would be a good start. Mushrooms taste so good and are good for you, and they are so expensive and hard to come by here.

I'll post some pics when I get my herb collection together. Maybe you could share some cool pictures with us all too.

virginprune
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Wow Virginprune you've had luck with herbs, and that's something to look forward to getting more.

The strong winds and salty sea rain really wreak havoc on many of my plants during the rainy season. They do come back when the dry season starts, but the rainy season especially this month and the next the winds are quite strong at night. I lost my tarragon and the basil that I started from seed that was doing so well. My spearmint has done well and has made many hanging pots full that I give away some sometimes. I use that for a nice squash soup with coconut milk, and it makes a great mojito too!

Your vegetable plants sound good too! My vegetable growing has been hit or miss, so not as fortunate as you. That's why I'm looking forward to putting my herbs in pots so that I can move them around as needed.:smile:

Mushrooms are something that I've been thinking about too. There's a place in Butuan City that sells mushroom kits, Jemel Kent's Mushroom Farm, and I thought that would be a good start. Mushrooms taste so good and are good for you, and they are so expensive and hard to come by here.

I'll post some pics when I get my herb collection together. Maybe you could share some cool pictures with us all too.

I think you're right about the salty air, I am inland in a very lush growing area so luckier in that perspective. There is also local oregano here growing wild, looks nothing like what I'm used to but tastes pretty much the same. A big thing here is sweet potato leaf, grows extravagantly and is a good substitute for spinach.

Regarding mushrooms, the only fresh ones in the shops here are oyster mushrooms, however, near my house there are wild mushrooms that come up periodically, they are similar to oyster but with a more intense flavour. Just trying to figure out how to transplant them, thanks for the heads up about the mushroom kit, will try and contact them online.

Here are some pics,in order, squash with bell peppers hidden amongst and ginger at the back, tomato plants around dwarf coconut, sweet potato, just one to try from one that sprouted, mint and finally tarragon. The okra is finished now so has been pulled and ground turned over ready for replanting. Left out the thyme because still small, it nearly died but making a slow comeback. 

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Wouldn't these be nice to see about.post box & telephone.jpg These are Brit of Course but others may like to see Public Phones about and have a Post box at least in the Baragay  around the hall or Police Post:thumbsup:

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, virginprune said:

I think you're right about the salty air, I am inland in a very lush growing area so luckier in that perspective. There is also local oregano here growing wild, looks nothing like what I'm used to but tastes pretty much the same. A big thing here is sweet potato leaf, grows extravagantly and is a good substitute for spinach.

Regarding mushrooms, the only fresh ones in the shops here are oyster mushrooms, however, near my house there are wild mushrooms that come up periodically, they are similar to oyster but with a more intense flavour. Just trying to figure out how to transplant them, thanks for the heads up about the mushroom kit, will try and contact them online.

Here are some pics,in order, squash with bell peppers hidden amongst and ginger at the back, tomato plants around dwarf coconut, sweet potato, just one to try from one that sprouted, mint and finally tarragon. The okra is finished now so has been pulled and ground turned over ready for replanting. Left out the thyme because still small, it nearly died but making a slow comeback. 

You're lucky for that! Everything looks great! I contacted that mushroom farm, and they told me that any orders that are made around the Philippines can be paid for by going to any local BPI Bank and wiring a payment. I think I'll try to do that. As far as wild mushrooms go--I'm not knowing much about identifying any, so I'd be scared to pick a poison one! 

virginprune
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jack Peterson said:

Wouldn't these be nice to see about.post box & telephone.jpg These are Brit of Course but others may like to see Public Phones about and have a Post box at least in the Baragay  around the hall or Police Post:thumbsup:

Unfortunately the phone boxes are very few and far between in England now, mostly in villages and have been adopted by the locals.

• Like 1