Living in Palawan

Chef David
Posted
Posted

I am a single man who is considering retiring to the Phillippines next year. I will have approximately $1600 per month to live on. From what I've read that should be okay. I am especially interested in perhaps living in Palawan, (though I am open to other areas). I like a slower island lifestyle rather than the hustle and bustle of the big city.  

I am curious how easy is it to find housing there? I only want to rent. How is the infrastructure there? Internet etc? Are there any expats out there who live in, or at least have visited, Palawan and can give me some insight? I plan to go there sometime in 2017 to scope out the area. And yes....I am interested in meeting a woman there too.

Thanks,

David

image.jpg

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum David.

$1600.00 a month budget is as much or more than many expat members here. There are many budget topics you can search out here for more information. 

If you would be interested to find a nice lady I doubt you will have any problem. 

Have you visited Philippines before?

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

I wouldn't mind living in Palawan. A whole lot better than Davao City.

Good Luck and welcome.

You will not have any trouble meeting a female.

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

Rental property is pretty cheap in Palawan although most of it is built to provincial property standards. Think garish green and orange paintwork, holy figurines everywhere, A lot of dust and neighbours and cockerels or Karaoke machines. You'll pay about 6,5000 php for that. 15-25,000 php for a house inside a modern compound with slightly better decor and no cockerels.

Palawan is more laid back and as long as you live from Puerto Princesa northwards it's as safe as you're going to get in the Philippines.

There's a reasonable Ex Pat community in Puerto Princesa and the females are friendly. I have a few Filipino friends there and they have warned me that a lot of the younger women over there take their foreign husbands to the cleaners so marry at leisure. It's a tight nit community and most of the locals are interconnected one way or another.

I've put a deposit down for a Condo there and I'm also looking for a lot to buy via a corporation and lease it to myself if the Condo deal falls through. 

Edited by Snowy79
  • Like 1

Chef David
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

Good Luck and welcome.

2 hours ago, Old55 said:

Welcome to the forum David.

$1600.00 a month budget is as much or more than many expat members here. There are many budget topics you can search out here for more information. 

If you would be interested to find a nice lady I doubt you will have any problem. 

Have you visited Philippines before?

Hi. 

I have not visited the Phillipines as of yet. I've visited over 20 countries and also lived in Argentina for two years. I think I want to hang my hat in Palawan. Hoping to find someone there to connect with before I visit. Always good to have a local friend in a country before visiting there. 

Chef David
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

Good Luck and welcome.

Thanks for the input!

Chef David
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

Rental property is pretty cheap in Palawan although most of it is built to provincial property standards. Think garish green and orange paintwork, holy figurines everywhere, A lot of dust and neighbours and cockerels or Karaoke machines. You'll pay about 6,5000 php for that. 15-25,000 php for a house inside a modern compound with slightly better decor and no cockerels.

Palawan is more laid back and as long as you live from Puerto Princesa northwards it's as safe as you're going to get in the Philippines.

There's a reasonable Ex Pat community in Puerto Princesa and the females are friendly. I have a few Filipino friends there and they have warned me that a lot of the younger women over there take their foreign husbands to the cleaners so marry at leisure. It's a tight nit community and most of the locals are interconnected one way or another.

I've put a deposit down for a Condo there and I'm also looking for a lot to buy via a corporation and lease it to myself if the Condo deal falls through. 

Thanks for the info. I'll probably opt for the house scenario. I'll look into the expat community in Puerto Princesa to see if I can connect with someone to show me the ropes. I'm not too worried about the younger woman syndrome. Rumor has it, I'm pretty street smart. Enough said. 

Good luck on the Condo. If you know anyone in Palawan I can connect with, please let me know.

cheers,

David

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Welcome to the forum David.  I have not been to Palawan, but all the reports I read are very favourable.  Some good advice from someone with experience here.  Hasten slowly as they say David when you get there.

• Like 1

Reboot
Posted
Posted

I really liked Puerto Princesa. Seems like a nice town. 

• 1 year later...
Zazel Francis
Posted
Posted

Hi

I just wondered if you ended up moving to Palawan and what it is like?  I am considering moving there with  my family.

Thanks