Living in Palawan

Rooster
Posted
Posted
On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 4:13 AM, Chef David said:

I am a single man who is considering retiring to the Phillippines next year. I will have approximately $1600 per month to live on. From what I've read that should be okay. I am especially interested in perhaps living in Palawan, (though I am open to other areas).

I've been to Palawan several times Beautiful there. FYI,  news reports as of Aug 14, 2018 are reporting Abu Sayyaf Kidnap group or groups have arrived there now, 

Got this in my email today and below is an article warning UK Citizens concerning travel to Palawan.

United States Embassy Manila, Philippines

Security Alert - U.S. Embassy Manila, Philippines, August 14, 2018

Event:  The Western Command Armed Forces of the Philippines posted the following information on their official Facebook page: “Western Command remains on heightened alert and continues to tighten its security posture in Palawan against all forms of threats, amidst circulating information on probable kidnapping in the Province.”  

Actions to Take: 

·         Be vigilant and aware of your surroundings.

·         Review your personal security plans.

·         Monitor local media for updates.

http://news.abs-cbn.com/news/08/14/18/uk-warns-citizens-of-heightened-risk-from-kidnapping-in-palawan

UK warns citizens of 'heightened risk from kidnapping' in Palawan

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Aug 14 2018 01:06 PM | Updated as of Aug 14 2018 01:18 PM

MANILA - The United Kingdom on Monday warned its citizens of "heightened risk from kidnapping" in Palawan and told them to "remain vigilant at all times."

Local authorities on the island province, a popular tourist destination, raised security to "heightened alert" in all towns and barangays as they warned that a kidnap-for-ransom group from Sulu might have already entered the area. 

"If in the area, you should follow the advice of local security and remain vigilant at all times," the UK government said in its updated travel advise. 

City officials of capital Puerto Princesa have said in prior reports that citizens should not panic but rather be observant and attentive to suspicious individuals.

The UK has a standing warning to its citizens against all travel to western and central Mindanao and the Sulu archipelago "because of terrorist activity and clashes between the military and insurgent groups."

It has also told its citizens to only go on essential travel to the remainder of Mindanao (except Camiguin, Dinagat and Siargao Islands) and to the south of Cebu province due to the threat of terrorism.

"There’s been an increase in kidnapping of foreign nationals, including attacks targeting foreigners and tourists since late 2015. Terrorist groups continue to plan kidnap operations against western nationals in the Philippines," its advisory read.

• Thanks 1