Things To Do To Make Your Move To The Philippines Smoother

twostrokes
Posted
Posted

The last trip I made thee to live, I did a Mike S. and came with a carry on and that was it. I did store a few things at my parents house, but not much. Left everything else for the soon to be X-wife.I got lucky and go the job with Ford Aerospace working on a military contract within about 6 weeks of arriving. Then a friend of mine had been living there and needed to return to the states but did not have the money. It worked out for both of us as I just took over his lease, bought him out for all his household furniture except what his wife gave her parents and traded that for a plane ticket for him. So I didn't suffer too long without. Afte the bases left, I did have to set up some banking. I just opened an account and did the deposit a check once a month from my stateside bank account into the local and waited the 3 weeks for it to clear. Never used my credit cards or my ATM cards. The other thing is that in Angeles city there was an American living there that wanted to get money transferred back to the states, so he would cash your stateside check, give you pesos at the going rate or better, then mail the check to his stateside bank for deposit. I don't know what kind of business he had generating all those pesos but he did this for anyone he knew or was spoken for by someone else for checks I know up to $500 at a time, because I cashed a few for that much now and then. I was able to use the FPO address through the RAO, so didn't have a mail problem.

• 2 weeks later...
Gold Heart
Posted
Posted

I read a good number of books about preparation for relocation and going abroad which included checklists.The best book I found by far was one titled " The grown-ups guide to running away from home". I highly recommend it.A few items I found unique were: - Registering with DMA Choice.org to remove direct marketing email.- Ensuring we had recent up to date doctors visits and copies of our medical records- Notifying previous employers of address changes to ensure w4s are mailed properly.- Going to electronic versions of all bills- Vacated home insurance provisions as I kept my home while we are on a trial.Many other subtle provisions were highlighted in this book.Ron AKA Gold heart

Guardian
Posted
Posted
I read a good number of books about preparation for relocation and going abroad which included checklists.The best book I found by far was one titled " The grown-ups guide to running away from home". I highly recommend it.A few items I found unique were: - Registering with DMA Choice.org to remove direct marketing email.- Ensuring we had recent up to date doctors visits and copies of our medical records- Notifying previous employers of address changes to ensure w4s are mailed properly.- Going to electronic versions of all bills- Vacated home insurance provisions as I kept my home while we are on a trial.Many other subtle provisions were highlighted in this book.Ron AKA Gold heart
Great information, thank you! :wt-hell: welcome to the forum. Please keep the great information coming. I keep learning thanks to all the members knowledge.