Panglao Island/Alona Beach

bows00
Posted
Posted

How safe is it ride a scooter around the island?  Last thing I want is to get into a tragic accident during my vacation.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, bows00 said:

How safe is it ride a scooter around the island?  Last thing I want is to get into a tragic accident during my vacation

It is important to know if you are an experienced scooter operator and how much you drink :hystery:

• Haha 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, bows00 said:

How safe is it ride a scooter around the island?  Last thing I want is to get into a tragic accident during my vacation.

The roads are in surprisingly good condition. The only dodgy thing is the island has been known to have had strong earthquakes and a couple of low level earthquakes each year. I'd hate to be riding along at speed when the road starts shaking. I was also caught out in a thunderstorm there last year when touring around the island and noticed that thousands of decent sized stones and mud gets washed onto the roads causing it to be quite dangerous..

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
35 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

The roads are in surprisingly good condition. The only dodgy thing is the island has been known to have had strong earthquakes and a couple of low level earthquakes each year. I'd hate to be riding along at speed when the road starts shaking. I was also caught out in a thunderstorm there last year when touring around the island and noticed that thousands of decent sized stones and mud gets washed onto the roads causing it to be quite dangerous..

We were there the year before the big earthquake and I remember the roads as in very good condition.  We hired a car and driver for an island tour and the only traffic was in the Tagbilaran area.  I will try to rent a self drive car next May.

Guy F.
Posted
Posted

Daytime driving is pleasant on Panglao. I'd avoid night-time driving except in cases of extreme need. Lots of drunk drivers, idiots and motorcycles without lights make it quite dangerous. 

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, bows00 said:

I found it quite safe, ventured from Alona Beach out to the Chocolate Hills. Plenty of things to stop and see along the way.

Edited by Reboot

Reboot
Posted
Posted

I stayed at Amorita at Alona Beach. If you can fit that in the budget, it's a strong recommend from me. Top notch place to stay.