Observations About Philippine Dining

virginprune
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have had my order read back to me in many countries, it is usual practice. However, the recitation when paying that is something I find quite unique to here.

Edited by virginprune
  • Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, scott h said:

Dave, I have only had that happen once, but as always in the Philippines, mileage varies widely here :hystery:

JJ, I have a slightly different take on this. I noticed, the order being read back, the "I received xx amount" phenomena. Through my observation, this type of "service" is pervasive here. I don't think it is really customer service so much as the lack of trust through out the society.

Notice: No were else have I bought a light bulb, and have the clerk take it out of the box and test it. At first I thought it was so if it was bad it would save the customer a trip back through traffic. Turns out it is so the customer does not go home, replace the bulb and return to the store to get a refund for a defective bulb. Additionally no where else in the world that I have been have I seen such a preponderance of "count your change, before leaving counter" signs as I have here. I believe the server announces the amount received to preclude being accused of pocketing a bill or two.

Lets face it unless a Filipino is related by blood, or has gone to school or worked with someone for years the society here operates on President Reagans motto "trust, but verify"

A slightly dark view of the interpersonal relations of how society works here? Yes, probably, and I sincerely wished I could be proved wrong. :mellow:

I have ordered in Fast food restaurants and have them bring something completely different.I never knew that about the light bulbs though I did think it was just so you didn`t have to come back well you live and learn.As for verifying the amount you give that covers both parties so it is a good thing.

• Like 5

jpbago
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I think they do it because they are instructed to do so but don't really listen or remember your answers.

Listening is a rare thing here, that is listening to someone else besides themselves.

• Like 4

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, JJReyes said:

He insisted I do the same to prove the unit was working.

I think he was insisting you touch it to prove you would not get a shock.  Most cheap electrical appliances i have bought here will give a shock as they are not grounded. I prefer not to use any cheap electric appliances here.

• Like 1

SNAFU
Posted
Posted

I realize we are now off-topic, but one of the few exceptions to the "test/count/verify" retail routines before leaving a store with your purchase that we have experienced have been for ceramic tiles. When we tiled our new home we invariably ended up finding some broken/fractured/chipped tiles as we unpackaged them during the jobs. Not enough defective tiles to prevent us from finishing the jobs, but enough in total to equal several full packages. Asawa says no problem, we'll just take our receipts and exchange them for good tiles next time we're at Citi or Houston's, and I thought yeah right, that'll never happen! Incredibly enough, both stores replaced them with no hassles. I think it also helps that my wife customarily forges a personable, "by name" relationship with one or two salespeople/managers at most businesses we frequent often. As always, YRMV. 

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Globe testing done in Thai stores also, a good idea IMO.

• Like 2