Observations About Philippine Dining

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, SNAFU said:

we'll just take our receipts and exchange them for good tiles next time we're at Citi or Houston's

I found it interesting that my contractor does the same at any hardware store.  When building my house I had a deal.  He gives me a list of what he needs and I buy it.  If he does not need that item after all, or if it is defective, then he is the one to take it back and exchange it for something more suitable.  Being a contractor, and a local, he never had a problem doing that.

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

In reference to Philippine dining.

Some restaurants add VAT to the bill, then total it.

What I know about VAT ( value added tax) is that it is suppose to be paid by the seller before he displays the price. In other words, the price of the item including VAT is suppose to be on the menu. Yes, consumer is suppose to pay for it but he should know the price of the item on the menu includes VAT and not added to the total amount of the bill. I do not return to a restaurant that that practices this.

Yes, I still leave a tip even if wife frowns.

• Like 2

jpbago
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

In reference to Philippine dining.

Some restaurants add VAT to the bill, then total it.

Some restaurants (Vikings) add VAT and a Php150 service charge to the bill, then total it. Vikings is a self serve buffet.

• Like 2

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, jpbago said:

Some restaurants (Vikings) add VAT and a Php150 service charge to the bill, then total it. Vikings is a self serve buffet.

Yes, I understand the service charge even in regular restaurants. The VAT should be included on the price of the meal on the menu. Some do and some do not.

I've heard of Vikings but never have dined there. Thanks for the warning.

Jake
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

When me and the wife bought a breast pump for her after our son was born, the people in SM insisted we test it in the shop. Wife wasn't keen on testing it in the public and As i was just wearing a sleevless "wife beater" i got my boob out and tested it right there in the middle of the shop. You should have seen the shop clerks faces ???.

Sander, you got a sick mind and I like that!  Triple LIKE!

• Like 3

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Sander Martin said:

When me and the wife bought a breast pump for her after our son was born, the people in SM insisted we test it in the shop. Wife wasn't keen on testing it in the public and As i was just wearing a sleevless "wife beater" i got my boob out and tested it right there in the middle of the shop. You should have seen the shop clerks faces ???.

Soooo did it work or were you 'dry'??? :nudie:

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

out of Stock.jpg:mocking:

• Like 3

Sander Martin
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, AlwaysRt said:

Lets just say that the suction was good :D

• Like 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted
On 2/24/2017 at 5:16 PM, JJReyes said:

My wife writes a daily blog about our travels. She made an interesting observation about Philippine dining that is worth sharing in this forum. The Philippines is doing something right that the rest of the world should imitate.

Whenever you order from a menu at a restaurant, the wait staff writes it down. Then it is read back to you to confirm the order. This avoids misunderstanding like the portion size, "full chicken" or "half chicken" only.  When the bill is presented and the money handed over, the Observations About Philippine Diningwaitress said, "Sir, I received 1,000. I will come back with your change."

Wish they did something similar in other countries.

Since the thread is about dining experiences...

...I've discovered monggo cooked in coconut milk...with chicharon in it. Holy smokes is that good.

• Like 3