Buying a car

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
Just now, Jack Peterson said:

That is quite Usual on the Smaller engines, the Variator sometimes needs a few revs before it takes up its Own Slack a little, the Bigger the engine the quicker that happens also the rubber belts slackens after even a short time. On the Bigger ones they are usually double row chains so the bite is better. but we have to Remember these are basically Town Bikes not Racing Machines.

JMHO after owing quite a few small engined Scooters :huh:

I was attributing it to being an automatic. Rented it for driving lessons for my wife and I had the Rouser 180 at the time. Maybe I unfairly did not lower my expectations enough LOL.

• Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
37 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

I have ridden a Mio and it seemed a bit slow off the line

One of my best friends owned a Mio for years.  He would agree with that.  Then for curiosity he test drove a Click.  He positively RAVES about how great it is compared to the Mio, but the Click carries a hefty price tag (87K I think he said he paid).  And the one thing he does worry about is trying to find a technician who can repair the Click "somewhere down the road" if it breaks.  But comfort, performance, fuel economy are all perfectly designed for the modern couple who want the latest is scooter technology (so says this friend who has owned a Click for about 2 months now).  I would mention his name but he doesn't like me doing that.  A rather shy guy who had his moment of fame writing a book that sold many copies and now is a little bit reclusive.  GREAT friend, BRILLIANT guy, but very choosy about having his name spread about.

robert k
Posted
Posted
56 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

I was attributing it to being an automatic. Rented it for driving lessons for my wife and I had the Rouser 180 at the time. Maybe I unfairly did not lower my expectations enough LOL.

I don't think you were unfair. CVT transmissions are interesting animals. The stock rollers in the variator are generally on the heavy side and can make a scooter sluggish. Less than optimal springs can be a contributing factor. A worn stretched out belt can keep you always in high gear. It's not expensive to tune a scooter to good performance but you need to be able to diagnose what isn't optimal or it becomes a matter of trial and error and buying unnecessary parts is expensive by definition. Of course you aren't going to do any work on a rental as long as it moves, that probably applies to the owner of the scooter too.:thumbsup:

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 7/19/2017 at 9:49 AM, AlwaysRt said:

I have ridden a Mio and it seemed a bit slow off the line. I did not notice it racing but as I was sitting at an intersection I found I needed to throttle early in order to cross while traffic was clear.

I suggest renting each for a week and see how you like them before deciding on a purchase.

That RT for the advice,  but I have been driving a MIO in Thailand and had a Honda Air Blade, so am aware of the performance of each.  Not a lot of difference between them but the air blade may have been just a little nippier.  The bike is only for going to shops, markets, short trips, we will buy a small car for longer journeys.

They go fast enough for me - I just want them to muck up my hairdo! lol.

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Latest is, I went to buy a new bike, they don't have the model mentioned  earlier in posts.  The only 'new' is the Honda Beat upgrade and that is very superficial, mainly introducing a couple of new colours???  Delivery is ok, but 2 month wait for registration.

I just cannot see myself on those bloody Jeepneys for the next two months, have nearly knocked myself out a couple of times and bash my head on the roof.  With my  bad back, I  can't bend over far enough.  I am looking at a Yamaha Mio tomorrow, 3 months old 3ks on the clock,

about $50k should buy it.  Seems like a fair deal, but alas it is not the FI model.  I can't find one of them 2nd hand and just need to be able to get around.  So have to accept what it is.

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

They go fast enough for me - I just want them to muck up my hairdo! lol.

The cancern I had with it was not speed (horsepower) it was quickness (torque to the wheel). Sometimes you need to jump across an intersection as you are not going to get a big opening, also handy with passing/avoiding obstacles. If in an area that never sees much traffic then I would have no issue with the MIO either.

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 7/24/2017 at 9:11 AM, AlwaysRt said:

The cancern I had with it was not speed (horsepower) it was quickness (torque to the wheel). Sometimes you need to jump across an intersection as you are not going to get a big opening, also handy with passing/avoiding obstacles. If in an area that never sees much traffic then I would have no issue with the MIO either.

I am getting all excited here, this is the 4th reply I have been able to make, a record for me since we arrived.  But bad news is afoot, rain has returned.  

Never the less RT thanks for the heads up.  Still trying to buy a bike, 3 so called sellers made appointments, but just did not turn up.  I was looking at the NMax a guy had one to sell in town here but wanted nearly new price for it.  I also felt it may be a bit heavy for me, as I have pretty severe back issues and sometimes had a little trouble with my Honda Air Blade in Thailand.

I have run out of options 2nd hand.  Dealers only want to sell to you on terms so they can fleece you for more money.  If you can get them to sell for cash (only one found) and it was 5k pesos cheaper and nearly 2 years old.  So after all this initiation, my fellow members seem to be proven right again.  I am going to buy a Honda 125I new, 80k but see if I can get some off it.

RT are you cool with the Honda 125I being suitable, my air blade had pretty good pick up 125 not FI, but went well.?  I am going to try and post an update on the forum, so wish me luck with the weather here - 5 days of non stop rain.  Its always better in the Philippines!!!!

• Like 2

AlwaysRt
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, mogo51 said:

I am getting all excited here, this is the 4th reply I have been able to make, a record for me since we arrived.  But bad news is afoot, rain has returned.  

Never the less RT thanks for the heads up.  Still trying to buy a bike, 3 so called sellers made appointments, but just did not turn up.  I was looking at the NMax a guy had one to sell in town here but wanted nearly new price for it.  I also felt it may be a bit heavy for me, as I have pretty severe back issues and sometimes had a little trouble with my Honda Air Blade in Thailand.

I have run out of options 2nd hand.  Dealers only want to sell to you on terms so they can fleece you for more money.  If you can get them to sell for cash (only one found) and it was 5k pesos cheaper and nearly 2 years old.  So after all this initiation, my fellow members seem to be proven right again.  I am going to buy a Honda 125I new, 80k but see if I can get some off it.

RT are you cool with the Honda 125I being suitable, my air blade had pretty good pick up 125 not FI, but went well.?  I am going to try and post an update on the forum, so wish me luck with the weather here - 5 days of non stop rain.  Its always better in the Philippines!!!!

I have back problems too, for me they type of bike closest to what you are talking about is the Honda XRM 125. Can improve steep hill climbing (normal grades are fine) with a simple sprocket change. I wanted a bit more power and suspension travel for dirt/rocky roads and now have a Honda XR150, changed the sprockets for better low end and handlebars for sitting upright comfort. THe handlebars on the XRM never bothered me.

• Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, AlwaysRt said:

I have back problems too, for me they type of bike closest to what you are talking about is the Honda XRM 125. Can improve steep hill climbing (normal grades are fine) with a simple sprocket change. I wanted a bit more power and suspension travel for dirt/rocky roads and now have a Honda XR150, changed the sprockets for better low end and handlebars for sitting upright comfort. THe handlebars on the XRM never bothered me.

Thanks RT but I am the lazy type of bike rider, just want to sit and steer these days, no changing gears etc., but appreciate the advice.  I have found the scooters ok for me, sit upright and no problems. I like the click as I don't have to  get my bloody leg over the hump (oops)!

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

One thing I've discovered is the big name bikes over here are pretty much imported parts and rebuilt. Even some of the knock off bikes use the same parts. The main advice is to buy from a dealer that you have confidence can repair the bike and has the proper tools.

I'm in the process of buying a Rusi 250cc. It's basically a Honda and uses the same parts. Honda are trying to put a stop to this but even though the courts upheld their complaint Rusi just continued as normal. They were raided and a few bikes impounded but it's still business as normal.

As I highlighted earlier it's more about finding a good mechanic just in case. Last week I hired a moped which got a puncture. It was only then I noticed the inner tube had been fitted without the securing nut in place. I went to a local vulcaniser to get it repaired and when he removed the inner tube it looked like it had been repaired by Stevie Wonder. As I was waiting on him to fit a new inner tube I noticed lots of small nuts all over the floor. I pointed out to my partner that these looked like the nuts used to secure the inner tube. I commented that I hope he was going to secure my inner tube using the nut provided. I cringed as he fitted the nut and tightened it before putting the inner tube on the wheel. Sure enough he just left it as it was. I picked one of the spare nuts up and secured it myself but it goes to show. The guy has been doing this for years and never once fitted the inner tube correctly.

• Like 2