Buying a car

robert k
Posted
Posted
14 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

One thing I've discovered is the big name bikes over here are pretty much imported parts and rebuilt. Even some of the knock off bikes use the same parts. The main advice is to buy from a dealer that you have confidence can repair the bike and has the proper tools.

I'm in the process of buying a Rusi 250cc. It's basically a Honda and uses the same parts. Honda are trying to put a stop to this but even though the courts upheld their complaint Rusi just continued as normal. They were raided and a few bikes impounded but it's still business as normal.

As I highlighted earlier it's more about finding a good mechanic just in case. Last week I hired a moped which got a puncture. It was only then I noticed the inner tube had been fitted without the securing nut in place. I went to a local vulcaniser to get it repaired and when he removed the inner tube it looked like it had been repaired by Stevie Wonder. As I was waiting on him to fit a new inner tube I noticed lots of small nuts all over the floor. I pointed out to my partner that these looked like the nuts used to secure the inner tube. I commented that I hope he was going to secure my inner tube using the nut provided. I cringed as he fitted the nut and tightened it before putting the inner tube on the wheel. Sure enough he just left it as it was. I picked one of the spare nuts up and secured it myself but it goes to show. The guy has been doing this for years and never once fitted the inner tube correctly.

Snowy, mounting them correctly would be bad for business.

• Haha 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, robert k said:

Snowy, mounting them correctly would be bad for business.

Funnily enough that was my words to my partner.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
russellmania
Posted
Posted

I did a little research on scooters for big guys ( Im 6ft6,230lbs) and The Kymco 150 kept popping up. I bought my girl a Honda Beat and I got the Kymco 150 and am pretty happy with it. But her honda beat is a smooth running scooter! 

15322423_356475121376488_775169212_o.jpg

15321483_356475141376486_893988044_o.jpg

• Like 1

barryneves
Posted
Posted (edited)

@ Mogo: One thing to bear in mind when buying new is to take the dealer's assurance that the rego will be sorted in 2 months with a very large pinch of salt. They will say anything to have you hand over the money. I have bought 6 small bikes and the same number of big capacity machines here in the Phils and the only ones that were registered within a couple of weeks were the big bikes supplied by Phil Ang out of Manila. Dealing with him is a first world experience. All the others have taken anything from 4 months to 2 years to get sorted, with an innumerable raft of inventive excuses for the ongoing delays. As such, I only buy used runarounds now that are already registered (with either temporary or permanent plates). 

Edited by barryneves
Spelling correction