Safety under the New Regime

Jackdan67
Posted
Posted

I wanted to travel by bus Davao to Cagayan mates wife said i would be loko...two years ago in Cagayan going to camuigun island spoke to locals some wouldnt go in mountains to their home ...like one said people die there.heard a german guy got shot here in northern samar something about he stopped peolpe crossing the land to get their places ...Got told not to live here cause NPA but the gf here ,everybodys a cousin or aunty or uncle ...

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

It seems everyone says not to come to Mindanao because you don't know the area.  Hmmm...  There are selected areas you definitely don't want to go...  Usually where the AFP is and are using the big guns.  But heck!  That's like saying don't go to Cebu because somebody was kidnapped in the Sulu area.  CDO to Davao is fine if you come by ferry and then bus it.  Just about anything east of that is ok as long as you're not flashing money.  Same as the rest of the country.  Davao itself is probably the safest city in the Philippines!  I know a few guys are off towards GenSan as well and love it there!  Yes, the West coast and the mountain area near there is not a good place to be right now...  Kind of like going to the wrong parts of Manila bar hopping on a Friday night...   But don't be afraid of coming here.  If I leave here?  It's too get my fiance away from my exs...  :89:

• Like 4

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 3/12/2017 at 0:56 PM, Snowy79 said:

I'm pretty much content with my life in the Philippines and never really felt unsafe. I've driven into areas not recommended for foreigners and walked around Manila at night. You can spend too much time worrying about safety and lock yourself away for the rest of your days but personally I don't go out of my way to make enemies. I never flash the cash or wear jewellery including a watch.

I look on life and death as a lottery, someone has to win even given the odds. I just look on what I do as using the same numbers every week. I might win eventually but I've still only got a few million to one chance of being that one. Those that lock themselves away still have a chance of winning though. In the mean time I've experienced lots that others never will. If my luck runs out I've had a good life. I just hope there's enough of me left to feed the worms.

Pretty much how I see it also, but these days, I don't go out much of an evening.  Other than to a restaurant with SO, eat and come home.  Life is good.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I usually start my day between 4 and 5 in the morning so...  Nights are for (ahem) sleeping...  :whistling:

• Like 2

robert k
Posted
Posted
On 3/13/2017 at 4:56 AM, i am bob said:

It seems everyone says not to come to Mindanao because you don't know the area.  Hmmm...  There are selected areas you definitely don't want to go...  Usually where the AFP is and are using the big guns.  But heck!  That's like saying don't go to Cebu because somebody was kidnapped in the Sulu area.  CDO to Davao is fine if you come by ferry and then bus it.  Just about anything east of that is ok as long as you're not flashing money.  Same as the rest of the country.  Davao itself is probably the safest city in the Philippines!  I know a few guys are off towards GenSan as well and love it there!  Yes, the West coast and the mountain area near there is not a good place to be right now...  Kind of like going to the wrong parts of Manila bar hopping on a Friday night...   But don't be afraid of coming here.  If I leave here?  It's too get my fiance away from my exs...  :89:

If the AFP was regularly killing those they are supposedly seeking, there wouldn't BE a problem. It's more dangerous to cross the street.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
Methersgate
Posted
Posted

I feel less safe.

I have just been looking at a picture posted to Facebook by a middle class Filipina friend. I did not re-post it. It shows a profusely bleeding corpse lying near a shop front, just behind a Coke truck, with a trike nearby.

That's not the disturbing part. The disturbing part is that there are a dozen kids aged say seven to twelve just sitting looking at the still bleeding corpse, with attitudes of unconcern.

They don't look shocked or surprised.

That picture is giving me nightmares.

• Like 5

Jake
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Methersgate said:

I feel less safe.

That picture is giving me nightmares.

Glad to see you back, my friend.  Nothing is safe anymore -- my sadness goes out to all the victims in that London attack.  I agree, the situation in the Philippines is less safe.  Getting caught in a crossfire of PNP salvaging known drug addicts is an eye opener.  

Have a presence of mind guys -- look around and trust your gut instinct.  

• Like 5

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted
47 minutes ago, Jake said:

Getting caught in a crossfire of PNP salvaging known drug addicts is an eye opener.  

My partner has a house/sorry store in an area that is designated "urban poor", the houses are mostly put together with discarded materials. The PNP at times do a sweep through the whole area, announcing on a loud speaker that any drug addicts/pushers to surrender now or face the consequences. The PNP are usually armed to the teeth. I sit with the Barangay Captain and share a Red Horse to see if anyone complies with the PNP request. They seem to know who they are after.

• Like 5