Motorcycle advice? TMX 125 or Bajaj 150?

mattclay
Posted
Posted

I'm thinking of getting a bike for my extended visits here, mostly for driving around town plus the occasional long distance trip of about 3 hours.  I want something cheap and easy to work on, reliable etc.  I'm thinking I might want to add a sidecar at some point in the future.  I have narrowed my choices down to the Honda TMX 125 which I can buy for about PHP 50,000, or the Kawasaki 150 which is PHP 41,000 new.  The Kawasaki has a few more features and bigger engine obviously.  The Honda in my mind is probably more reliable, easier to buy parts for and work on, and might hold on to its value better but be a bit underpowered I'm guessing.  I don't know a lot about bikes, basically just how to ride one and do basic repairs so any advice would be appreciated.  My main concern is the reliability and durability of the Kawasaki since I think Honda has a reputation as the best in those departments.  Thanks,

Matt

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

The Honda 125 TMX will be fine for a 3 hour run and very good on fuel around town.

• Like 3

mattclay
Posted
Posted

Thanks Sonjack.  I know the TMX is the safe bet.  Any thoughts on the reliability and durability of the Kawasaki?  If they are reasonably good in those departments I would probably go with the Kawasaki due to the bigger motor and better features.

• Like 1

mattclay
Posted
Posted

Plus the lower price.

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Both bikes would be suitable. I will say though that the Bajaj is probably the stronger of the two when you add a sidecar. Pretty much the bike of choice for tricycle drivers round my way.

• Like 2

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, virginprune said:

Both bikes would be suitable. I will say though that the Bajaj is probably the stronger of the two when you add a sidecar. Pretty much the bike of choice for tricycle drivers round my way.

Down here they all have tmx`s.I think either would suit him it will just be personal choice at the end of the day.

• Like 1

SNAFU
Posted
Posted

mattclay, Here's another nice bike if you want some extra power and a huge, comfy seat, but of course a little pricier:

http://kawasaki.ph/commuter/specs.php?id=47&ct=Business

Kaw Bajaj also the bike of choice for the trike guys around here. Sounds like you're on the right track, I think you'll be happy with either.

• Like 1

mattclay
Posted
Posted

Thanks for the advice all, I went with the Bajaj even though they misquoted me on the price, it wasn't 41,000 but rather 49,000, same as the TMX.  The TMX was a bit too small and uncomfortable.  Yamaha has a nice looking and very comfortable bike for 49,000 too, their 125, but I don't see any on the road and a couple of shops said there are sometimes mechanical issues with Yamaha.  I like the Kawasaki so far, good power, comfortable and fun to ride, I just wish it had a 5th gear.

• Like 1