Learning Language

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted

Years ago I stayed in Iloilo with a friend's family. It was a standing joke with the mother that I knew just two words of Ilonggo: gutom  (hungry) and busog (full).    :SugarwareZ-047:

• Like 2

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, not so old china hand said:

Years ago I stayed in Iloilo with a friend's family. It was a standing joke with the mother that I knew just two words of Ilonggo: gutom  (hungry) and busog (full).    :SugarwareZ-047:

I have lived in Iloilo 4 years and never even heard those words ha ha.  All I speak is "jeepney". And I cannot spell any of it.

• Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
On 3/29/2017 at 3:18 PM, Gratefuled said:

What about those who after 9 months in the womb all they could come up with is "BOY"?

Gratefuled-- "Boy" is the local name/version for "Junior," someone with the same name as their father.:smile:

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Queenie O. said:

"Boy" is the local name/version for "Junior,"

I see.  So if you really wanted to call him a boy you would call him "Dong" and if he is gay he is "Ding Dong", however if he is the third "Boy" he is called "Thirdy".  Not really complicated when you get the hang of it :hystery:

• Like 3

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I see.  So if you really wanted to call him a boy you would call him "Dong" and if he is gay he is "Ding Dong", however if he is the third "Boy" he is called "Thirdy".  Not really complicated when you get the hang of it :hystery:

So your son could be Sir Sir dong?

:89:

bigpearl
Posted
Posted

I worked with a lot of locals down in Cam Sur 6 years ago, one of my plumbers and also a labourer held the princely name of Bimbo, when I first met them internally I chuckled and thought what the? That was their names, great guys and hard workers.

I, not being very good with Tagalog, some years ago asked Bengie's nephew then 6 "nasaan si titi Bengie" he looked at me and bolted, when I caught up with Bengie and asked what the problem was he asked what I said, he laughed and reminded me, UNCLE=TITO. Tito titi, god it's as bad as the english language.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

I bought the Rosetta Stone program. Absolutely worthless. No vocabulary sheets, not conversational at all, the pictures used were NOT of Pinoys or of the Philippines. The pictures must be a part of other language programs and simply put into the tagalog program. Therefore, the explanations were stupid. There would be several pictures, say 4 girls with bicycles, with the tagalog words. Then another picture of several girls, different girls, no bikes and not connected in any way to the other picture except they were girls. The tag explanation was girls without (hindi!) bicycles, rather than a more descriptive explanation. A picture of a child standing would be explained as a child not running! But the child is also not riding a horse! Or eating rice.... A business suit is 'Americano' in tag! What? I thought I was an Americano....

Black New Jersey police officers are described as the police, instead of actual Philippine officers. And don not get me started on 'family' as that picture(s) were of an Arab man in full Arab dress with a woman in a black tent and the kids! The picture of a city, are American city pics. A pic of several women in a restaurant is described as women NOT COOKING! Well... actually they are not sleeping either, or driving a car.... And the list goes on and on.

I cross referenced a few words with google tag translations, and most often the google tag word was not the Rosetta Stone program tag word. Also most confusing is there is no phonetic spelling next to the correct spelling. The word 'siya' is pronounced as SHAH as in the Shah of Iran... The newspaper word starts with a diari... but is pronounced, according to Rosetta Stone as 'Jario...' 

But, on the positive side, I learned the tagalog word for 'sandwich' and 'sweater'. They are 'sandwich and sweater'....

No wonder people laugh at me when I order a Coke Zero.... and the restaurant persons says 'out of stock' when I can clearly see it in the glass door refrigerator. Stupid me! In tag, it is BLACK COKE! Everyone knows that.....           

• Like 3

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Bruce said:

I bought the Rosetta Stone program. Absolutely worthless. No vocabulary sheets, not conversational at all, the pictures used were NOT of Pinoys or of the Philippines. The pictures must be a part of other language programs and simply put into the tagalog program. Therefore, the explanations were stupid. There would be several pictures, say 4 girls with bicycles, with the tagalog words. Then another picture of several girls, different girls, no bikes and not connected in any way to the other picture except they were girls. The tag explanation was girls without (hindi!) bicycles, rather than a more descriptive explanation. A picture of a child standing would be explained as a child not running! But the child is also not riding a horse! Or eating rice.... A business suit is 'Americano' in tag! What? I thought I was an Americano....

Black New Jersey police officers are described as the police, instead of actual Philippine officers. And don not get me started on 'family' as that picture(s) were of an Arab man in full Arab dress with a woman in a black tent and the kids! The picture of a city, are American city pics. A pic of several women in a restaurant is described as women NOT COOKING! Well... actually they are not sleeping either, or driving a car.... And the list goes on and on.

I cross referenced a few words with google tag translations, and most often the google tag word was not the Rosetta Stone program tag word. Also most confusing is there is no phonetic spelling next to the correct spelling. The word 'siya' is pronounced as SHAH as in the Shah of Iran... The newspaper word starts with a diari... but is pronounced, according to Rosetta Stone as 'Jario...' 

But, on the positive side, I learned the tagalog word for 'sandwich' and 'sweater'. They are 'sandwich and sweater'....

No wonder people laugh at me when I order a Coke Zero.... and the restaurant persons says 'out of stock' when I can clearly see it in the glass door refrigerator. Stupid me! In tag, it is BLACK COKE! Everyone knows that.....           

Bruce, when living in Manila I had a tutor,,,,,,,, twice, I found it frustrating and expensive, I looked at the system you enrolled with and thought nope, that's more money potentially out the window.

I did find however a good,,,,,, very good site that was free and did the verbal audio pronunciations as well as written. Heads up you have to know that the 5 vowels have only one sound though I beg to differ at times. I being slack dropped that years ago as Bengie's english is very good and we live back in Oz these days. I will try to locate that site again as I also need to up my game and will pass it onto you and other readers, give me a few days.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Gratefuled-- "Boy" is the local name/version for "Junior," someone with the same name as their father.:smile:

So, a girl with the same name as her mother would be referred to as "GIRL"?  

Just a thought, :shades:

Thanks for enlightening me. :bonk:

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted

Unsurprisingly yes! There are many called Girly that I know around here.