Learning Language

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)

It sounds silly, but by watching Tagalog movies and dramas, I've been able to pick up enough Tagalog to understand quite a bit, although speaking Tagalog after Bisaya is much different. They speak slowly, and over time you start to pick up words and conversation. Being a native Rhode Islander in the US, we have a more New York/New Jersey hard nasal accent, so Cebuano is easier as it's louder and uses more words that are easier to pronounce. Tagalog is softer and more breathy, which I think I'd have trouble with. Now areas where they mix languages, I think I'd really have trouble.:smile:

Of course nothing beats listening and learning from native speakers around you. Every area even in different places in one island might have nuances that are different.

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 2

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, virginprune said:

Unsurprisingly yes! There are many called Girly that I know around here.

Yeah Virginprune, but that's just a nickname, there's no name for a woman who has the same name as her mother here or in English. Back when I was a kid in the States, you would sometimes hear someone called "Junior." I don't think that's heard too much anymore. :smile:

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

you would sometimes hear someone called "Junior." I don't think that's heard too much anymore. :smile:

It is quite common here though

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

I'm always amazed how different missionaries of many different religions here, seem to pick up the dialect in their assigned areas so quickly. I guess they have good training beforehand, and because they have the zeal and they are driven to get their mission across within the time of their term, the language seems to come easier to them, because communicating is such an important part of what they do.

Even as a Peace Corps Volunteer in community service/ Health and Nutrition, Visayan was taught to us in small groups by native teachers from our assigned islands in country. Even so, not everyone really tried learn it. Language was not as important at that time to finding out what your job would entail, as it was more" flying by the seat of your pants."

I really feel that the desire to learn for whatever reason one might have, will be a big factor in whether you pick up some of the language or even more.

Anyway, it seemed so interesting to me at a local restaurant recently, to hear a German missionary maybe in his mid- thirties speaking Cebuano really well to the restaurant staff. I thought--here's this German guy speaking, and not knowing any German language, I could still understand what he was saying. Strange but interesting.

Just an observation of mine..

• Like 3

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Ja no doubt, But Cebuano isn't that hard every time I'm there even 2  and three year old kids speak it.

:smile:

• Like 1

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
On 31/03/2017 at 11:17 AM, bigpearl said:

Bruce, when living in Manila I had a tutor,,,,,,,, twice, I found it frustrating and expensive, I looked at the system you enrolled with and thought nope, that's more money potentially out the window.

I did find however a good,,,,,, very good site that was free and did the verbal audio pronunciations as well as written. Heads up you have to know that the 5 vowels have only one sound though I beg to differ at times. I being slack dropped that years ago as Bengie's english is very good and we live back in Oz these days. I will try to locate that site again as I also need to up my game and will pass it onto you and other readers, give me a few days.

Cheers, Steve.

Bruce, have to apologise as I cannot find it, dozens of other freebies online but don't look as good as the one I was using, I won't give up yet and hope I can eventually find it. 

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

I found some youtube video's that were good as a starting point. Called Tagalog 101 as I recall.

• Like 4