Learning Language

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

My daughter (17)

She is mahal, to be sure. (Up to you to figure which way I mean that :hystery: if you read my spoiler in post #5)

Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

She was /is of course correct in her statement BUT we are aloof to the fact that this  is how people can and do see us, Know alls. Oh how different life could be if we could settle back and remember where we are. :smile:

Just saying :thumbsup:

Edited by Jack Peterson
emphasis
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)

I keep reading this thing about Education and what if they were better educated. They are Educated to the Degree of the Country so let's let them decide if they can follow the law or just be lemmings cos whatever we say or try and instill in them they will do as they wish

Words of jack on a subject that will get to the merry go round situation I am sure :smile:

Edited by Jack Peterson
O
  • Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Oooops.jpg Hmmmmmmmmm embarrased  man.jpg Should have been on the Laws Topic Sorry people. Can a Mod move it please to the simple Topic about following :mellow:

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Funny thing...  I was trying to learn Bisaya and Tagalog at the same time...  Nobody had a clue what I said as I would mix every second of third word...  I'm trying to forget both and start over again with just one...  While I lived in Central Park, I could fully understand the conversations in Bisaya...  But moving to Countryville Executive a year and a half ago, I've lost it all...  Even the 5 year olds speak English..!

:89:

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, i am bob said:

Even the 5 year olds speak English..!

:smile: This why I stay with English :shades:

• Like 2

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

Same here Florida, even a  5 year old can speak English, unlike England.

:7500:

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

All my neighbors speak English and just about everyone else understands English most of the time. My in-laws have difficulty with it and prefer to converse in Visayan with my wife. Both her parents speak and understand English well. No need for me to learn it. All the signs are in English.

With my tan, often times I am spoken to in Visayan. I just smile and my wife informs the that I am a foreigner.  Then, they smile too.

I found it easier to learn Japanese and Korean. The words are easier for me to pronounce  even tho I cannot speak fluently.

Nihon go ga wakara na gute gomenasai. Japanese

Yo bo seo  Korean

With Tagalog I try to pronounce the words like they are spelled and butcher the words bringing laughter to anyone listening.

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Gratefuled said:

With Tagalog I try to pronounce the words like they are spelled and butcher the words bringing laughter to anyone listening.

I hear that eh?  I'm Canadian eh?  So you can guess how I say Pinay, eh?  And that gets a laugh from them, or a puzzled look.  For those who don't live here, a Pinay is a "pin eye"

• Like 3

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

For those who don't live here, a Pinay is a "pin eye"

And another language issue.  They like to double up names here so that Lynn becomes Lynn Lynn, but where did everyone get the idea that my name was Bill (as in Bill Bill http://www.binisaya.com/cebuano/bilbil )