Rational thinking

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

It's probably been highlighted thousands of times the pros and cons about making the decision to commit to someone from the other side of the World that you've never met in the flesh but from Western/Australasian perspective how has individuals perception of relationships changed once you've been in the Philippines a while? 

From my perspective I was drawn in by the text book idea of Filipinos. Hard working, reasonably educated, family orientated and used to life's hardships making them realise how lucky they are when they are in a financially stable environment. I bought into the dream that it's a step up from relationships I've seen come and go in the West.

Fast forward a few months I've got a whole new perspective. A bit through personal experiences, some lived some observed some through honest girlfriends and a bit though reading horror stories on forums. Honestly how many have had their eyes opened and would have played things out a bit differently with hindsight?

• Like 5

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

It's not just relationships it's also purchasing land or condos etc. My due diligence and time spend doing my homework has acted like a safety blanket to me many times. It's gave me enough time to rethink things over and to pick up on things that had initially slipped my mind. 

I read about so many people that decide to commit to things off of plans or through pure loneliness. The same people if a Nigerian Prince sent them a letter offering a fantastic business deal would laugh and see a con straight away. The minute it's got a female form they're offering to buy a house and marry them. They'd be 100 times more wary of spending a few thousand pounds on a second hand car. They certainly wouldn't take the sellers word for how good it is and sent money over to fit new alloys and a paint job before giving it a test drive. As my partner says " words are cheap ".

Due diligence and on the ground experience. Reading expat sites. Evaluation. Fools rush in etc.

My turn is coming I hope not.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 2

intrepid
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jake said:

hindsight?

Or sight the hind? Is there anything better Jake?

• Like 3

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Jake said:

Hmm.....rational thinking?  If you're a virgin expat, first time in the Philippines -- your thinking may relocate someplace else.  Your reasoning, apprehension and careful planning will probably be thrown out the window when you see this as soon as you hit the beach:

Eye Opener.jpg 

Eyes wide open with different perspective -- hindsight?  Forgetaboutit.

:Caught::56da64b64cbd8_36_6_31:More of a breast man myself 

More of a breast man myself

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, intrepid said:

Or sight the hind? Is there anything better Jake?

Ah ha!  You're not retired from law enforcement, you correctly read my mind with nefarious intentions.  

Guilty as charged sir!  Hindsight overload

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
Gif will break adsense rules so removed
  • Like 3