A trip to HCMC Vietnam

virginprune
Posted
Posted

It is on my bucket list too, so one day. Maybe have it as a honeymoon destination when I finally accept the shackles!

• Like 1

davewe
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, bigpearl said:

Vietnam has been on my bucket list for 7 or 8 years, met many Vietnamese people in Oz over my life and they are wonderful, the food is fantastic as is the culture gleaned from these friends and reading, one day I will get there,,,,,,us now.

My world travels stopped 6 years ago when I first went to the Philippines, met my better half and now our travels are consumed by family, friends and property there. I am sure once we move in a couple of years travel will begin again. Until then all others heading that way, enjoy.

davewe, are the motorbikes any worse than Thailand or the Philippines? Curious.

Cheers, Steve.

Yes - much worse! I think I read that Ho Chi Minh city has like 2 or 3 million bikes and they absolutely do not mind using the sidewalk. Pedestrians have to be very cautious because staying on the sidewalk is no guarantee of safety. But as I said, I adjusted pretty quickly.

• Like 1

KC813
Posted
Posted

The Lonely Planet guidebook used to have a warning about crossing the streets in HCMC.  Advised to keep walking at an even speed - never slow down or stop - and the bikes will find their way around you.  My preferred method was to find some very old people crossing and just hide behind them!

Mogo- was it the War Relics Museum you visited?  When I was last there I recall seeing some old signage on the property calling the place something like the 'US Aggression War' museum.  An interesting place....

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, KC813 said:

The Lonely Planet guidebook used to have a warning about crossing the streets in HCMC.  Advised to keep walking at an even speed - never slow down or stop - and the bikes will find their way around you.  My preferred method was to find some very old people crossing and just hide behind them!

Mogo- was it the War Relics Museum you visited?  When I was last there I recall seeing some old signage on the property calling the place something like the 'US Aggression War' museum.  An interesting place....

Yes it was the War Relics Museum and does not surprise they call it that.  I never worry about such things, it is just the North giving their perspective on the war, which not surprisingly, is the exact opposite of how the US and other allies see it!  I found it both interesting and sad.  All in all, a total waste of human life IMO.

• Like 1

frosty (chris)
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, davewe said:

Yes - much worse! I think I read that Ho Chi Minh city has like 2 or 3 million bikes and they absolutely do not mind using the sidewalk. Pedestrians have to be very cautious because staying on the sidewalk is no guarantee of safety. But as I said, I adjusted pretty quickly.

I have been there a few times and what you read is correct, the boulevards in Saigon are maybe 6 - 8 lanes wide so it is a bit of a distance to walk especially with thousands of moto's passing by. I was told when there, you just pick a spot on the other side of the road, step off and just walk at a brisk pace, do not deviate, do not move your head too much, let the moto's go around you, works ok with them not so good with cars, buses and trucks:89:. Another good trip was the Chu Chi Tunnels was fascinating to see how the V.C infiltrated Saigon during the war, also a day tour of the Mekong Delta was a good day trip.

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted

Yes Frosty, did both of those things the first time years ago, so did not bother and my knee was not up to the Tunnels.  But SO went and enjoyed the tour.

From my assessment, it is about 30-40% cheaper to live in Vung Tau than Pattaya, Thailand.  Not so busy, less tourists and lots of nice parks.

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted
On 4/24/2017 at 0:11 AM, davewe said:

Having ridden a bike now in both Vung Tau and Pattaya, there is no comparison, much easier in Pattaya - did not think I would ever say that, because they are far from good here!

• Like 2

mogo51
Posted
Posted

I will eneavour to attach a few photos that some of the ex Viet Vets might appreciate and bring back some memories.  Taken at the War Relics Museum in HCMC.

P4050104.JPG

P4050111.JPG

P4050105.JPG

• Like 4