Succession & Estate Law in the Philippines

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, jrlee183 said:

All bank accounts are frozen on death, regardless of whether Filipino or Foreigner.

Plan C(g) Then, Moves to have her put on one of my European Bank accounts Gibraltar I think best as it is Pound Sterling.

On the Child Thing, I have a Stepdaughter of 17 so just don't know about the Situation there should it be me that goes First, Should Azon goes First I believe there is something fairly new about us (Foreigners) for our Lifetime. Am I correct on this ?

• Like 1

jrlee183
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Plan C(g) Then, Moves to have her put on one of my European Bank accounts Gibraltar I think best as it is Pound Sterling.

On the Child Thing, I have a Stepdaughter of 17 so just don't know about the Situation there should it be me that goes First, Should Azon goes First I believe there is something fairly new about us (Foreigners) for our Lifetime. Am I correct on this ?

Not that I am aware of.  Unless your stepdaughter is legally adopted by you, then she would be considered as a 'stranger' from a succession perspective.  You would only be able to include her in your will after your compulsory heirs have allocated their share. 

Of course from your wife's perspective then her daughter/your stepdaughter would be a compulsory heir on her estate and her entitlement would depend on whether she is a legitimate or illegitimate child (unfortunately this does make a difference). 

• Like 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, jrlee183 said:

Not that I am aware of. 

This is what I was referring to from last year I believe

** I Heard A Foreigner Can Inherit Land In The Philippines**

Indeed, you heard right.  This is the “saving grace” for many foreigner/Filipino couples who want to buy property together here in the Philippines and have an assurance that the “foreigner ‘ half of the couple can continue living in the couple’s property.**

http://philfaqs.com/i-heard-a-foreigner-can-inherit-land-in-the-philippines/

So is there any truth in this or more baloney?

Just want to say Thank you for the time you spend on this, each day and new answers bring up new/re-emerging questions for us :thumbsup:

Jack :smile:

Mr Lee and everyone, Morning All:morning1:

• Like 5

intrepid
Posted
Posted

Frozen Bank Accounts until estate taxes are paid to BIR?  correct?  Is there a way to calculate about how much the estate taxes would be?  What would be an amount to have available to cover all the needed expenses upon death?

• Like 5

jrlee183
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

This is what I was referring to from last year I believe

** I Heard A Foreigner Can Inherit Land In The Philippines**

Indeed, you heard right.  This is the “saving grace” for many foreigner/Filipino couples who want to buy property together here in the Philippines and have an assurance that the “foreigner ‘ half of the couple can continue living in the couple’s property.**

http://philfaqs.com/i-heard-a-foreigner-can-inherit-land-in-the-philippines/

So is there any truth in this or more baloney?

Just want to say Thank you for the time you spend on this, each day and new answers bring up new/re-emerging questions for us :thumbsup:

Jack :smile:

Mr Lee and everyone, Morning All:morning1:

It is true to an extent; Although Sections 3 and 8 of Article XII of the Constitution restrict the ownership of land by individuals to Filipinos and former Filipinos, Section 7 of the same Article allows foreign citizens to own land by way of legal inheritance.

Section 7: Save in cases of hereditary succession, no private lands shall be transferred or conveyed except to individuals, corporations, or associations qualified to acquire or hold lands of the public domain.

Basically, if your filipina wife dies before you without a Will then as her spouse you are a compulsory heir and entitled to your share of her estate.   HOWEVER, this is only good news if you are the only surviving compulsory heir.  If her parents are still alive then they will be entitled to their share too.  Likewise with children.   The end result is that the other heirs may want to 'cash in' their inheritance by way of selling the land/your home.   Whilst you can fight this it is an long and expensive process and something no one would want to experience.

Best solution for this is that you sign a long term renewable lease (25 or 50 years) that would legally entitle you to remain in the property even if it is sold. 

• Like 3

jrlee183
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, intrepid said:

Frozen Bank Accounts until estate taxes are paid to BIR?  correct?  Is there a way to calculate about how much the estate taxes would be?  What would be an amount to have available to cover all the needed expenses upon death?

It depends on the size of your estate.  You can see the varying percentages on the link below:

https://www.bir.gov.ph/index.php/tax-information/estate-tax.html

I would say you should allow enough liquidity to cover at least six months living expenses, but if you want to be conservative then up to two years would be prudent as it can sometimes take this long to grant probate.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
27 minutes ago, jrlee183 said:

Best solution for this is that you sign a long term renewable lease (25 or 50 years) that would legally entitle you to remain in the property even if it is sold. 

Are you referring to lease the family home from your spouse? 

Who are the persons disqualified to be lessees?

A husband and a wife cannot lease to each other their separate properties except if separation of property was agreed upon or if there has been judicial separation of property.
This is to prevent prejudice to creditors and to prevent the stronger spouse from influencing unduly the weaker spouse. 

http://realestatelawyer.com.ph/category/real-estate/law-on-lease/

• Like 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
45 minutes ago, intrepid said:

This is the point I was trying to make.

It is to me inconceivable if on paper your name is not connected to the property that estate duties would need to paid upon your passing.

yes joint accounts frozen, understandable how ever cannot grasp they can empower estate duties when the foreigner is not connected in any written way to said property.... 

• Like 2

jrlee183
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Are you referring to lease the family home from your spouse? 

Who are the persons disqualified to be lessees?

A husband and a wife cannot lease to each other their separate properties except if separation of property was agreed upon or if there has been judicial separation of property.
This is to prevent prejudice to creditors and to prevent the stronger spouse from influencing unduly the weaker spouse. 

http://realestatelawyer.com.ph/category/real-estate/law-on-lease/

Correct, and this is where you would need to get a lawyer involved to ensure the correct structure.  One way would be to own the property through a corporation with a lease between the corporation and husband/wife.

• Like 2