BPI ATM did not dispense any cash. Has anyone else had this happen?

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted

Here is what happened.

I used my debit card (as I always do) from my bank in the states. BPI always dispenses 15000 Pesos max. Other banks just 10,000 Pesos limit.

The ATM machine did not dispense any money. It did print out a receipt to debit my US bank plus the fee. When I checked my account in my US bank, sure enough, $300 plus the fee was deducted from my balance. 

I do have (had) a dual checking and savings account with BPI and I made a complaint in writing showing the printout from my USA bank. I received a text message a few days later acknowledging the error but said that I need to take it up with my USA bank. 

I closed my checking and savings account at BPI and deposited my savings in BDO. 

My US bank said they would check into it and give me a response within 10 working days. 

Since it was BPI's error, why should my US bank have to get involved? 

Complaining here in the Philippines does little or no good. 

I'm trusting BDO will handle my account responsibly. 

JUST MY RANT 

15000 Pesos may not seem like much to a bank but it is to a customer.

They just lost one.

• Like 5

intrepid
Posted
Posted

I have not had this happen to me.  However, my wife had the same thing happen to her account here on a visit four ago.  Her account was at BDO and was using their ATM.  The same thing that happened to her, no cash, just a receipt.  Take it up with your US bank they said.  Of course they said it was the Philippine bank issue.  When we moved here last year we opened our first bank account with PNB.  Because of their high fees that account was closed quickly and we have since been with BPI.  Been good so far.  The issue she had with the ATM at BDO was the last issue we ever had with an ATM.  We will never again use an ATM here in the Philippines.  Fool(GET), me once, shame on you, get me twice, shame on,.....:bonk:  Now, cash at the counter only!

• Like 3

intrepid
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

only use the ATM physically situated at the Philippine bank that has my pesos on deposit

I agree.  If you must use an ATM here, this should be the only way.  My wife's case she had an account at the bank she used the ATM.  However, since we were not at the time living in the Philippines, there was less in the account she needed for the final days of the trip.  She had to withdrawl from her US bank account.  Oh well, live and learn. 

• Like 3

robert k
Posted
Posted

Use the ATM in the bank so you can instantly complain. Using an outside ATM or mall ATM and your odds of making a good resolution plummet, in my personal opinion. This subject has come up before. 

• Like 4

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted (edited)

Ok, I think I did mention that we did have accounts with BPI. Savings and checking. 

The ATM that was used was at the BPI bank in Gaisano Mall. 

I complained in person with the manager. She made photo copies of my complaint. 

No, I do not use ATMs outside the bank, There was a security guard present. 

If they had checked the CCTV camera, they would have seen that no cash was dispensed. 

What more proof do they need?

BPI lost a good customer. We had a substantial amount in our passbook savings account. 

Since we had not withdrawn any money form our savings since we opened it, the interest we received was impressive.

We leave for Hong Kong Monday. Wife will have a fun time shopping there.

P.S. Apparently, I am not the first or the only one to be ripped off by BPI. There is a list of complaints from others as well. 

The first complaint is similar to mine.

Bank of the Philippines Islands - 15 Reviews of bpiexpressonline.com ...

Edited by Gratefuled
addition
  • Like 2

canadamale
Posted
Posted

About 4 years ago I was using a stand alone BDO atm , My card was not returned and no money dispenced. After numerous anxious and very nervious minutes I phoned the number on the machine. I was informed there was nothing that could be done until the following Monday. This as Saturday evening. I would need to go to the bank branch which controlled the atm. So I spent sat. night and sunday fretting over my delema. Monday I tood a jeepney then a trike to the said bank branch, where I spent the next 4 hours waiting and explaining myself till finally received my card back. No reson was given for the atm keeping the card from BDO or my bank in Canada. I have had my card cancelled  since then and had to call my bank to get it realeaseda few times since then but never had my card not returned.

• Like 4

jpbago
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, robert k said:

Use the ATM in the bank so you can instantly complain.

Sometimes, the ATMs in the bank do not belong to the bank but to a 3rd party. Once, I got $20 more than I asked for so I showed it to the lady at the front desk and she said that it was my lucky day. Keep it or call the number on the machine to arrange to give it back to them. Fortunately, I did not have a phone.

• Like 4

expatuk2014
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

Ok, I think I did mention that we did have accounts with BPI. Savings and checking. 

The ATM that was used was at the BPI bank in Gaisano Mall. 

I complained in person with the manager. She made photo copies of my complaint. 

No, I do not use ATMs outside the bank, There was a security guard present. 

If they had checked the CCTV camera, they would have seen that no cash was dispensed. 

What more proof do they need?

BPI lost a good customer. We had a substantial amount in our passbook savings account. 

Since we had not withdrawn any money form our savings since we opened it, the interest we received was impressive.

We leave for Hong Kong Monday. Wife will have a fun time shopping there.

P.S. Apparently, I am not the first or the only one to be ripped off by BPI. There is a list of complaints from others as well. 

The first complaint is similar to mine.

Bank of the Philippines Islands - 15 Reviews of bpiexpressonline.com ...

Had the same problem here in Los Banos, used our BDO card only m/c working was bpi, but no cash,but receipt.

Which showed we had withdrawn 10,000 pesos Went to to the bpi bank staff very friendly and helpful turned out  its a common fault with bpi m/cs had to wait 3 days but money back in the account the next day.

• Like 2