BPI ATM did not dispense any cash. Has anyone else had this happen?

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, jpbago said:

I don't know about cash and likely not but when I deposit a cheque, the ATM puts a picture of the cheque (up to 30 cheques, it says) on the receipt. No envelopes.

Can not say in the Philippines but in Australia you can deposit cash.

jpbago
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Can not say in the Philippines but in Australia you can deposit cash.

I was saying that the ATM puts a picture of your deposit on your deposit slip.

HikiSpray
Posted
Posted
On 2017-04-14 at 6:41 AM, Gratefuled said:

Here is what happened.

I used my debit card (as I always do) from my bank in the states. BPI always dispenses 15000 Pesos max. Other banks just 10,000 Pesos limit.

The ATM machine did not dispense any money. It did print out a receipt to debit my US bank plus the fee. When I checked my account in my US bank, sure enough, $300 plus the fee was deducted from my balance. 

I do have (had) a dual checking and savings account with BPI and I made a complaint in writing showing the printout from my USA bank. I received a text message a few days later acknowledging the error but said that I need to take it up with my USA bank. 

I closed my checking and savings account at BPI and deposited my savings in BDO. 

My US bank said they would check into it and give me a response within 10 working days. 

Since it was BPI's error, why should my US bank have to get involved? 

Complaining here in the Philippines does little or no good. 

I'm trusting BDO will handle my account responsibly. 

JUST MY RANT 

15000 Pesos may not seem like much to a bank but it is to a customer.

They just lost one.

I had something similar happen to me, was shopping for a TV and tried to pay with my Debit card. The terminal had a bad internet connection and said that it could not complete the transaction. So we paid with cash instead, but the money was reserved on my account (20000Peso/400€). That's fun, on a vacation. Went back the day after and told then to either remove the reserved money or give the money back. They told me to contact my bank to have them cancel the reservation. So I told them that if I do that they would be "Blacklisted" as a scam by my bank. That seemed to put a fire under their as*es, the reservation of the money was gone the next day. . I find it funny that it's up to my bank if they make a mess. However, I was being cool with the whole thing, didn't want to be the "bad kano". Explained to them that it's not the stores fault, they just had a bad internet connection that day.

It's more fun in the Philippines!

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted
On 4/15/2017 at 7:59 PM, Dave Hounddriver said:

Seems to me that I_Am_Bob once reported receiving counterfeit money from an ATM but my memory could be fading.

Yeah, here is the post I meant:

Yeah, I did...  That's why I don't use ATMs anymore...  If I need cash..?  I bring it in using WorldRemit...  There are places here I can pick it up 24 hours and it's usually ready within minutes of going to the website and completing the transaction.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
On 4/14/2017 at 11:41 AM, Gratefuled said:

The ATM machine did not dispense any money. It did print out a receipt to debit my US bank plus the fee. When I checked my account in my US bank, sure enough, $300 plus the fee was deducted from my balance. 

I just had a similar experience.  A frustrating experience.  Allow me to relate:

I walk to the ATM at my local PSBank and it is offline so I wander off for half an hour to do other things and then come back.  It is still offline so I go in to see the teller and he says to try the bank machine at another bank.  Not wanting to cause a fuss I go to the MetroBank, 50 meters away and use their machine.

Then it happens.  Card accepted, transaction accepted . .  machine goes down, spits out the card and goes offline.  No cash.  So I go back to the teller and ask if the money came out of my account.  "Yes it did so you have to go back to Metrobank where the machine is and file a complaint".

Back to Metrobank I go and talk to the manager who is a haughty lady who grants me a few minutes of her time to fill out a form then sends me back to PDBank to tell them to also file a complaint to "expedite matters".  She said they will not like doing it but insist that they do as it will make things go smoother.

So I go back to the teller at PSBank.  He asks me to try the ATM machine one more time because his manager tells him he has to tell the customers to use the machine.  I try it.  It is broken.  I go back inside.  I ask for 10K cash from the teller.  The assistant manager calls over to say "Just try another machine at one of the other banks."

I LOSE IT.  And in a loud, foreigner voice I said: " I JUST DID TRY THAT AND LOST 9900 PESOS THAT NO ONE CAN FIND FOR ME AND I WANT SOME OF MY MONEY!"

So he calls me over to sit me down and check it out.  He says that no money is gone from my account.  I am still hot under the collar so I tell him that the teller confirmed for me that 9900 came out of my account today.  That is why I went to all this trouble.  The assistant manager says:  "Well 9900 did come out of your account but it was shortly thereafter put right back so your account is the same balance."

So I insisted that one of the clerks come out to the ATM with me and confirm that it was not giving me any money and then FINALLY the teller gave me a withdrawal for 10K and they asked that "next time I use the ATM please."

So I went over to the BPI to have a look because I have heard good things about it.  But the place was a madhouse and I decided to stay with the devil I know rather than  go to the one I don't.  I have changed banks here before and its pretty much useless.  What one back does, the others do too, or soon will.

But in the end:  I got my cash and my bank balance is where it should be.

• Like 5

intrepid
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

I just had a similar experience.  A frustrating experience.  Allow me to relate:

I walk to the ATM at my local PSBank and it is offline so I wander off for half an hour to do other things and then come back.  It is still offline so I go in to see the teller and he says to try the bank machine at another bank.  Not wanting to cause a fuss I go to the MetroBank, 50 meters away and use their machine.

Then it happens.  Card accepted, transaction accepted . .  machine goes down, spits out the card and goes offline.  No cash.  So I go back to the teller and ask if the money came out of my account.  "Yes it did so you have to go back to Metrobank where the machine is and file a complaint".

Back to Metrobank I go and talk to the manager who is a haughty lady who grants me a few minutes of her time to fill out a form then sends me back to PDBank to tell them to also file a complaint to "expedite matters".  She said they will not like doing it but insist that they do as it will make things go smoother.

So I go back to the teller at PSBank.  He asks me to try the ATM machine one more time because his manager tells him he has to tell the customers to use the machine.  I try it.  It is broken.  I go back inside.  I ask for 10K cash from the teller.  The assistant manager calls over to say "Just try another machine at one of the other banks."

I LOSE IT.  And in a loud, foreigner voice I said: " I JUST DID TRY THAT AND LOST 9900 PESOS THAT NO ONE CAN FIND FOR ME AND I WANT SOME OF MY MONEY!"

So he calls me over to sit me down and check it out.  He says that no money is gone from my account.  I am still hot under the collar so I tell him that the teller confirmed for me that 9900 came out of my account today.  That is why I went to all this trouble.  The assistant manager says:  "Well 9900 did come out of your account but it was shortly thereafter put right back so your account is the same balance."

So I insisted that one of the clerks come out to the ATM with me and confirm that it was not giving me any money and then FINALLY the teller gave me a withdrawal for 10K and they asked that "next time I use the ATM please."

So I went over to the BPI to have a look because I have heard good things about it.  But the place was a madhouse and I decided to stay with the devil I know rather than  go to the one I don't.  I have changed banks here before and its pretty much useless.  What one back does, the others do too, or soon will.

But in the end:  I got my cash and my bank balance is where it should be.

All this talk of ATMs taking cards, giving receipt, and keeping the cash,....maybe I should just start writing many checks to deposit on the same day.  When caught I could just say,"Sorry Sir, there was cash in the account when I wrote the check!":89:  Wouldn't be the first time that excuse was tried.  Then again, maybe be in for an extended unwanted vacation.

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

So it's more of a Dumaguete problem than other areas of the Philippines. :89:

robert k
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, intrepid said:

All this talk of ATMs taking cards, giving receipt, and keeping the cash,....maybe I should just start writing many checks to deposit on the same day.  When caught I could just say,"Sorry Sir, there was cash in the account when I wrote the check!":89:  Wouldn't be the first time that excuse was tried.  Then again, maybe be in for an extended unwanted vacation.

They don't trust us so they hold the funds for weeks after the money comes out of the account so I think the first attempt would fail.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

So it's more of a Dumaguete problem than other areas of the Philippines

One bank clerk told me it was a "Monday morning thing" where all the banks are restocking all the ATMs at the same time after the weekend.  Another clerk at the bank told me there was a problem with my bank's ATM and she would have her IT guys look at it.  The bank manager at MetroBank said it happens "quite often" but they get it sorted out.  She did not say if it only happened quite often in Dumaguete or all over.

bigpearl
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

One bank clerk told me it was a "Monday morning thing" where all the banks are restocking all the ATMs at the same time after the weekend.  Another clerk at the bank told me there was a problem with my bank's ATM and she would have her IT guys look at it.  The bank manager at MetroBank said it happens "quite often" but they get it sorted out.  She did not say if it only happened quite often in Dumaguete or all over.

As said this happened to me only once but after talking to my better half about it there appears to be some trepidation as to the reliability of these ATM's according to him and his friends experiences in PH. (No banks named in particular) While I personally have only made 60? 80? 100 withdrawals from ATM's in PH and only one bad experience I have used ATM's in Oz and many other countries hundreds if not thousands of times since the inception of these wonderful (job cutting) machines and never had a problem,,,,,,,,until.

On the other hand they are fantastic, remember the days when you had to race to the bank before closing to draw out money, stand in the queue etc. so you had enough cash for the weekend or buy that special thing that you didn't want to put on your credit card if you had one back then, the shopping on Saturday morning required cash (in God we trust, all others cash). Times have changed in banking in my opinion for the better, ATM's, telephone banking and internet banking save so much time and frustration.

For me a once off with a dud machine, while frustrating it's minimal in the scheme of things, an hour or two lost and a little anxiety but I got to interact with the nice bank staff. Saying this, if it happened frequently I would consult our friend google, find out which were the reliable banks with ATM's. For us after research years ago we picked BDO and while difficult for us to set accounts up (I was a terrorist with only an ACR1, some power/water bills, a permanent address, passport and visa) was worth the fight/experience and to date this bank has been good.

Cheers, Steve.

Edited by bigpearl
  • Like 1