Too Much Air - Snorkling

PaulB
Posted
Posted

Hi all

I know there a quite a few Ex-Servicemen on the forum so I would like to ask your advice.

I bought a great new full face snorkelling mask as per below picture but the problem I am having when wearing it is that it contains so much air that when I dive under the water the mask once to pull me back to the surface. I am happy with the snorkelling on the surface and the mask is awesome but just not sure what I should be doing to minimise the bouyancy in the mask so I can stay under water a while. The adds show people under water but I pop up like a cork. Any suggestions (clean and useful) appreciated.

!Ocean-Quest-Full-Face-Snorkel-Mask-with-GoPro-Moun-Big-13.jpg

Floaty Paul!:SugarwareZ-034:

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

That mask was not designed to dive under water only for surface use with a flotation device. It's useful in that the user may prattle along the surface while keep their face looking down

• Like 3

Reboot
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, PaulB said:

Hi all

I know there a quite a few Ex-Servicemen on the forum so I would like to ask your advice.

I bought a great new full face snorkelling mask as per below picture but the problem I am having when wearing it is that it contains so much air that when I dive under the water the mask once to pull me back to the surface. I am happy with the snorkelling on the surface and the mask is awesome but just not sure what I should be doing to minimise the bouyancy in the mask so I can stay under water a while. The adds show people under water but I pop up like a cork. Any suggestions (clean and useful) appreciated.

!Ocean-Quest-Full-Face-Snorkel-Mask-with-GoPro-Moun-Big-13.jpg

Floaty Paul!:SugarwareZ-034:

Just take some lead fishing weights and make a necklace out of them with thick mono. But beware too much of a good thing!

Edited by Reboot
  • Like 1

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

I have seen those on Lazada and thought about it trying one. I did not think of the extra air being a problem...  Only thing I can think of is exhale a lot out of your lungs, but that would limit the time you could stay under. Guess it is just for surface swimming?

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
51 minutes ago, Tukaram (Tim) said:

Guess it is just for surface swimming?

Makes a new definition for "air head" :7500: 

• Like 2

not so old china hand
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have seen these in a local sports superstore and am rather sceptical. AFAICS the gizmo relies on a non-return valve in the snorkel. What happens if that fails? Will the mask flood with so much water you can't clear it by exhaling? If so how quickly can the mask be removed so the user can breath?

it looks as if it has been modelled on the full-face masks used by professional divers and firefighters. But they will have drilled on what to do if something goes wrong. This is being targeted at consumers who find a simple mask and snorkel too daunting....

As always JMHO and respectfully (as Jake would say).

Edited by not so old china hand
  • Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted

On a similar but different thread, we brought some snorkeling equipment with us in BB boxes. Something for anyone settling here in the future to include in their boxes if they think they might get some use out of it Ours are like Not so old China hand suggested.

RBM
Posted
Posted

As soon as your under the water just blow a little air out your nose, problem solved.

Steve GCC
Posted
Posted
19 minutes ago, RBM said:

As soon as your under the water just blow a little air out your nose, problem solved.

Cant blow out of your nose I assume as full face covered, unlike if was diving in a conventional scuba mask............