Electricity costs when somebody else is stealing yours.

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I am watching the TV and the power went off for about 30 seconds 30 minutes ago. 10 minutes ago the same thing.I looked outside and the workers in next door had hot wired their welder into my meter.I went out and told them to stop and they did. buggers.Hope fully it wont cost too much extra as I do believe it was a mistake and I don`t want to bother my LL as he is very ill.Now I know how easy it is to hot wire a meter I will keep a closer on it.

• Like 5

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

I am watching the TV and the power went off for about 30 seconds 30 minutes ago. 10 minutes ago the same thing.I looked outside and the workers in next door had hot wired their welder into my meter.I went out and told them to stop and they did. buggers.Hope fully it wont cost too much extra as I do believe it was a mistake and I don`t want to bother my LL as he is very ill.Now I know how easy it is to hot wire a meter I will keep a closer on it.

Probably not targetting you personally just yours happened to be the nearest they could connect to. Don't forget nothing in the Philippines is private property, see it and help yourself.

• Like 4

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Gary D said:

Probably not targetting you personally just yours happened to be the nearest they could connect to. Don't forget nothing in the Philippines is private property, see it and help yourself.

There are 3 meters there mine and next doors and the LL so yes it was a mistake.I wont be kicking up a fuss about it.It just seems so easy to get inside a meter and do this.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
30 minutes ago, sonjack2847 said:

It just seems so easy to get inside a meter and do this.

Do they get inside the meter?  Check the lines.  The welders i have seen just cut out a bit of the insulation and wrap their wire onto your wire.  When they are done you are left with a bare patch of wire, which makes it easier for them to attach to next time.  They are often so good at it they don't even turn the power off to attack to your wire, although they do have to do turn it off while they scrape a bit of the insulation off.

• Like 1

Gary D
Posted
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Do they get inside the meter?  Check the lines.  The welders i have seen just cut out a bit of the insulation and wrap their wire onto your wire.  When they are done you are left with a bare patch of wire, which makes it easier for them to attach to next time.  They are often so good at it they don't even turn the power off to attack to your wire, although they do have to do turn it off while they scrape a bit of the insulation off.

Yes got the insulation remove from ours where they welded the window bars. Even asked if I had any insulation tape to wrap there piers.

Edited by Gary D
  • Like 1

jpbago
Posted
Posted
On 4/20/2017 at 4:59 AM, Dave Hounddriver said:

although they do have to do turn it off while they scrape a bit of the insulation off.

Where do they turn it off? Do they pull the meter?

Gary D
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, jpbago said:

When they did ours they just did it live with plenty of insulating tape wrapped around their tools :whistling:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, jpbago said:

Not sure about all meters but mine have all had off switches at or near the meter.

jpbago
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Dave Hounddriver said:

Not sure about all meters but mine have all had off switches at or near the meter.

My meter does not have an off switch but it does have a metal seal. I have heard that some will pull the meter to shut off the power while they do the illegal tie in. Once we were asked by a neighbour if he could tie in to our line until Ceneco came tomorrow but I said no. Ceneco never came and after 1 month or so, they were gone. They had no electric and no water but they had shabu.

• Like 4

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted

Makes you wonder where all wires are going.  :hystery:

Related image

• Like 3