Working here just got harder and more dangerous

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

It's true a small number of Foreigners work illegally in Philippines. Just to be clear the forum in no way supports any activity that would be outside Philippines laws not to say that's what you are implying.

• Like 1

Gas
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, KC813 said:

Reading the link above, I see probationary/temporary/permanent residents under section 13 visaholders are exempt from these particular employment restrictions. 

I have worked here in the Philippines for the past 18 years on a 13a visa and it has never been a problem. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
afathertobe
Posted
Posted (edited)

There must be well-paid jobs for foreigners in the Philippines because those 100k+ PHP/month condos in BGC and Makati have to be paid for somehow. 

Edited by afathertobe

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, afathertobe said:

There must be well-paid jobs for foreigners in the Philippines because those 100k+ PHP/month condos in BGC and Makati have to be paid for somehow. 

Corporate lets? :89:

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Corporate lets?

Yes, I wondered about that.  I knew an Australian who worked in Philippines for an Australian company.  He was stationed here for a year (maybe 2 I forget now as it was in 2010).  Anyway, his company paid 130K pesos a month for a big house with a pool in Maria Luisa subdivision and he has a maid, gardener, yaya, and driver/mechanic so he was definitely making Aussie wages in Cebu.  I did not think it was my business to ask how he did it.

Another Aussie I know making big bucks owns a huge house and pool in the suburbs of Cebu and "telecommutes" to his office in Australia and again makes big Aussie dollars. (Yeah, I know, his wife actually owns the house but it doesn't make any difference to them.)

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, afathertobe said:

OFWs

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I know we are pretty much looked on as being rich just by the fact we are here but in the last three months I've been warned off by Filipino friends that in no way should I let anyone know how much money I have or if I set a company up how much I'll be making.

They tell me that once people know your wage or worth you pretty much become a target. This is in Manila but I'm sure it's also elsewhere. My friend's wife has even phoned me when I was on route to meet another Filipino friend and warned me off about mentioning money to him. I've known her for a few years and thought she was just joking but she was deadly serious.

She says she knows of a few foreigners that have had to leg it from the Philippines as people were trying to extort money from them. Even threatening to kidnap someone close to them.

Even my current girlfriend once she knew what I did in a previous job warned me never to tell anyone as I had a particular skill that the criminal element would love to have. She assured me I'd be forced at gun point to help them and she might even be in danger. I informed her my skill was only of use in the UK and every day technology makes my skill set outdated. She said "they wouldn't belief me and force me anyway." It's more fun in the Philippines as they say.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, afathertobe said:

Yes but that price I would say in the minority as rents are cheaper from my research in those areas than what you can get in Cebu for the same.

bigpearl
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Yes but that price I would say in the minority as rents are cheaper from my research in those areas than what you can get in Cebu for the same.

Rental costs in the scheme of things play a very small part, while others here say we are paid in Aussie or US dollars, English pounds I can assure you we are paid better than in our homeland, why go to a foreign country for the same wage? Leave your family and friends. Sorry we are paid somewhat more for our expertise in an environment that lacks the knowledge and expertise in many fields, the overall ability is there but needs to be coordinated and managed to achieve the goal. Maybe there could be an opening within the LTO for an astute individual/s. Only my 2 bobs worth.

As for personal threats or compromising situations? Nada, money? Nada, I feel I was appreciated for what I contributed within the company.We always made our locals feel valued and always the pat on the back for their achievements,,,,,,,,,,,,, absolutely no different to western norms, give and you will receive. The money was never equal but the people are.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 2

Reboot
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Are you saying Makati and BGC are cheaper than some of the more upscale areas in Cebu?