Working here just got harder and more dangerous

ALEMAN
Posted
Posted
On 4/28/2017 at 11:00 PM, Snowy79 said:

I thought this must be a joke when I read it. It's hard enough getting a job here as a foreigner but who in their right mind would be happy for the locals to know their wage and address if they get the job? My apologies I've deleted the link as I never realised it was a blog site. In short the blog stated that DOLE had introduced a policy where any foreigner applying for a job should be aware the job was listed with their name, address, and wage. They then gave Filipinos time to apply and petition against the foreigner getting the job. The successful candidates details were meant to be published on the DOLE site and newspapers.

Simple solution to many aliens-don't be a foreigner!

Most foreigners applying for work are Chinese.

ALEMAN
Posted
Posted
On 4/29/2017 at 10:22 PM, Gas said:

I have worked here in the Philippines for the past 18 years on a 13a visa and it has never been a problem. 

13a is not foreigner. It is permanent resident. Many Filipinos do not know the difference, but it is the same as citizen as far as DOLE is concerned.

This law is referring to FOREIGNERS applying for a work visa.

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, ALEMAN said:

It is permanent resident

a permanent resident who is not a citizen, therefore a foreigner lolol :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

ALEMAN
Posted
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, scott h said:

a permanent resident who is not a citizen, therefore a foreigner lolol :thumbsup:

Alien. Foreigner is like a tourist. We don't call immigrants foreigners in the USA, right?

Foreigners cannot work or own businesses in the Philippines.

Immigrants can.

Edited by Old55
Edited to play nicely.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

ALEMAN, I'll edit then post your third reply. In return will politely ask you to lighten up a bit  and also keep in mind Philippines is an independent country not the same as USA. They can make whatever law they wish it's our choice as a visitor to live with them or leave. Sometimes you just gotta roll your eyes and move along.:7500:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
53 minutes ago, ALEMAN said:

Alien. Foreigner is like a tourist. We don't call immigrants foreigners in the USA, right?

Foreigners cannot work or own businesses in the Philippines.

Immigrants can.

Maybe you should browse through the immigration visas, they don't have all the different categories in there just to bamboozle us westerners into a false security about your entitlement to work or not.  :thumbsup:

I think this has been asked before but never answered, can you pout, the no work visa at the wife if she wants you to do something over there if your only on a 13A visa, :89: no crude remarks please.  :hystery:

• Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
55 minutes ago, Clermont said:

Maybe you should browse through the immigration visas, they don't have all the different categories in there just to bamboozle us westerners into a false security about your entitlement to work or not.  :thumbsup:

I think this has been asked before but never answered, can you pout, the no work visa at the wife if she wants you to do something over there if your only on a 13A visa, :89: no crude remarks please.  :hystery:

I'm sure there must be thousands of foreigners working in Manila and other business areas who are transferred here by their multi-national companies.  Usually it is for a certain number of years, by contract.  As someone else mentioned, they are usually paid more than they make at home due to the "sacrifice" they make to move across the world and live in a third world country.  Usually the company will arrange a relocation agent to help with the visa (9G??), find housing, etc., etc.

In many cases these people live very well.  My ex-boss in Los Angeles transferred to Manila and although he had to work his butt off, he definitely lived high on the hog.  That was in the late 90's and he has since transferred to other Asian positions.

That situation is completely different than coming here on a tourist visa and then expecting to find employment working for someone else, and apply for a work visa.  Not sure why someone would do that unless they are desperate for money.  I think the DOLE article was more about that situation.

Here is Subic Bay Freeport there are hundreds of foreigners running business', and they are called locators.  I think there is a special visa for them.  You have to have a business plan and show how many Filipinos will be employed by your business.

• Like 4

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Your first sentence is correct Onmyway, and their work Visas are sorted by the company that employs them, my next door neighbor's son in law was one of them working in mineral engineering. His company paid Aus wages and top class accommodation for him and his family, but he still needed the right Visa. He now works out of Hong Kong and still needs to get work Visas for the countries he works in. PI's are not unique in this type of visa, even Australia has many classes of work visas.