Pickpockets

Gary D
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

I had my first run in with a gang of pick pockets last night. I'd just returned from watching some local boxing including a title fight and decided to grab a bit of food. I was with my mate and when we left the bar to go to another bar the usual child beggars surrounded us. I sussed straight away what they were up to and the second I felt a hand on my pocket I grabbed the shi? and pretty much broke his fingers.

He thought he was clever as he was wearing a sweat shirt but had taken his arms out of the sleeves and had then down the inside of his top so you couldn't see them. The method being once close he reaches out from underneath his top hoping you won't see his hands.

In short if more than one kid approaches you keep your wits about you as they work as a team.

You're lucky you weren't stabbed when you grabbed him.

• Like 2

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Gary D said:

You're lucky you weren't stabbed when you grabbed him.

100% sober and had my wits about me. I'm always checking my surroundings that's why I knew straight away what they were up to. A  gun is a different story but there was ample police presence around due to the ASEAN summit. If I figured it's not safe that's when Grab cars or Taxis are used.

The area was crawling with ex pats drinking and that's probably the reason they thought I was a soft touch and I was literally crossing from one bar to the next.

I'd never venture out with a wallet or any watch, and only carry enough cash for the night etc in a locals area. It never fails to amaze me though the amount of foreigners flashing the cash etc when there's locals around.

• Like 4

Gary D
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Snowy79 said:

100% sober and had my wits about me. I'm always checking my surroundings that's why I knew straight away what they were up to. A  gun is a different story but there was ample police presence around due to the ASEAN summit. If I figured it's not safe that's when Grab cars or Taxis are used.

The area was crawling with ex pats drinking and that's probably the reason they thought I was a soft touch and I was literally crossing from one bar to the next.

I'd never venture out with a wallet or any watch, and only carry enough cash for the night etc in a locals area. It never fails to amaze me though the amount of foreigners flashing the cash etc when there's locals around.

Just quoting my wife's first reaction when I related your experience to her, It's nothing to do with you being aware and sober etc. I'll repeat, you were lucky not to have been stabbed once you had rumbled them.

• Like 4

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Gary D said:

Just quoting my wife's first reaction when I related your experience to her, It's nothing to do with you being aware and sober etc. I'll repeat, you were lucky not to have been stabbed once you had rumbled them.

And for that reason if any of them had tried to rush in to help him they'd have been a whole can of whoop ass opened up. I'm not the smallest person out there. Just shy of 100kg and built like a rugby player. Ex Welsh champion and 3rd in Great Britain at Tae Kwon Do. When self survival kicks in there would have been bodies flying into shop windows if need be to allow me to escape. I'm sure the police would have been made more than aware of the commotion.

• Like 4

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Gary D said:

I'm a 3rd dan assistant karate instuctor and would like to think I could look after myself, it's the next day drive by shooting that would worry me the most if I'd waded into a bunch of locals. They tend to stick together even if they were in the wrong.

I'd never sh@t on my own doorstep. I was more putting the post up to warn those not aware how they work together in a team. If I'm approached on my own I pretend to be dumb and just point at my pockets and shake my head.

Like you say there's a good chance one of them are carrying a knife or at the least being watched by the adult gang members. Any time I've been out and about and felt uncomfortable I just stand as close as I can to the first security guard with a gun and await a taxi.

I've seen too many foreigners trying to hold conversations with them and before you know it instead of two or three of them there's about ten. I was over at Makati Square Mall a few days ago and had just been pestered by one when what looked like a destitute American approached and told them where to go. It looked like he lives rough in the area as he was unshaven and filthy from head to foot with lots of welts on his legs. He pretty much said if you let them know you're on to them they'll find an easier target.

• Like 3