Pickpockets

Peter Frechette
Posted
Posted

I just got pick pocketed last week by a kid or kids in the local palenke (market).  they like to poke or tap you with one hand while taking items with the other... seems the mind will focus on the one contact point to the exclusion of others.  They took my android.  I usually lapse right into indigent feelings associated with being violated, anger, anxiety, etc... I have learned I can do further damage to myself by harboring these feelings so I have worked out a perspective where No 1 I hold myself responsible for keeping my things and money secure. 2 i recognize their desperation 3. I end up considering it an altruistic donation to relieve abject poverty. 4. I take a deep breath and try to let go of the feelings 5. I amortize out the loss referencing all the money I save living here. after all these mental emotional gymnastics I replace the item asap so the loss is not being reminded over and over...  Now my impulse is to break fingers as mentioned above but i remind myself that in a confrontation situation I have way more to loose than they do... I will be charged with assault and be extorted. if they even get jailed for a crime they will probably be going to living conditions the exceed their own living situation,,, and finally this time i converted my desire to verbally barrage them with expletives i got my gf to teach me the tagalog for "dont touch me" which goes something like "bwag mo kong hawakin!" 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted

Yeah Peter, I know your frustration at being bumped, every bump goes through the mind, are they trying to pick pocket me. Personally, I keep my wallet in my front jeans pocket with my hand on it when in a crowded situation or on a jeepney, never wear a watch, time doesn't matter over there, don't wear rings our necklaces, they'll cut your finger off if desperate enough, and if you follow the code of not flashing money around when drinking, you'll enjoy yourself more. I know paranoia sets in, but follow the simple rules of not being flashy and you might get a smile out of the next time someone tries to pick your pocket.Just a word of warning don't smile to broadly if it is a pretty young pick pocketer, whats behind the linen in your pocket belongs to your GF/ wife, they don't like sharing.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
40 minutes ago, Clermont said:

paranoia sets in

We need to keep that paranoia at the edge of our thoughts because complacency marks us as victims.  When we are victims, we become extra vigilant for a while, but when a long time goes by with nothing bad happening we get complacent again.   We need to stay on our toes out there.

6 hours ago, Peter Frechette said:

I just got pick pocketed last week by a kid or kids in the local palenke (market).

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing.  You have my sympathy as I have come so close to having my pocket picket and I know how adept they are at doing it.  And if you catch them in the act it matters little.  The police can do nothing to minors here.  I was a victim of a home break in years back and a motorcycle theft a couple years ago.  Beyond that there have been petty thefts that keep my on my toes most of the time but I also get complacent.  I try to keep my phone in a button down front pocket but that means I have to buy my pants to fit my phone.  I also keep a locator program (Prey) on my phone so it may be possible to track it if the thieves are not professionals.  And of course I keep a screen lock so it will not be so easy for them to access my personal data.  Fortunately they usually want to steal it, reset to factory settings, and sell it. 

• Thanks 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted

In another thread on keeping your money safe I mentioned that I have been pick pocketed twice. This likely is the most common way you will lose money or valuables. Fortunately, a risk that is relatively easy to avoid if you develop good habits for storing your valuables on your person that make it difficult for the pick pockets.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mr-T
Posted
Posted

They attempt to pick me once when i went to the tulip festival in Baguio city. Very crowded and we were watching the float going by. Saw this guy passing by eyeing me from the corner of his eyes. Well he passed then returned a few minutes pushing through the dense crowd, push me violently in the back and was gone in a flash. Me saying to myself nice try. Pockets were empty. 

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...
Capa
Posted
Posted
On 7/31/2017 at 2:00 AM, Peter Frechette said:

I just got pick pocketed last week by a kid or kids in the local palenke (market).  they like to poke or tap you with one hand while taking items with the other... Now my impulse is to break fingers as mentioned above

I carry in my front shirt pocket just enough bills and coins for the item I am purchasing. In all my pants pockets I have set mousetraps. Boy are those kids in for a surprise when they try to pickpocket me!

• Like 1
  • I'm Confused 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, Capa said:

In all my pants pockets I have set mousetraps.

sacasm emotion.jpg  Geeeze Scratching Head.jpg

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, Capa said:

In all my pants pockets I have set mousetraps.

I used to do that but I forgot about them too many times and have damaged fingers now.  I switched to rat poison.  The kids think it is candy and gobble it up!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kuya M
Posted
Posted
57 minutes ago, Capa said:

I have set mousetraps

mt.JPG

• Haha 1

Capa
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, OnMyWay said:

I used to do that but I forgot about them too many times and have damaged fingers now.  I switched to rat poison.  The kids think it is candy and gobble it up! 

Even better!