Orchids in my garden

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Not difficult to do Sonjack. Jut get a flower pot or container and add some decent garden soil. Just plant the seeds of a fruit that you particularly liked the taste of-- maybe one to two per pot, about 2 inches deep. Place them in a part sun spot and wait for them to sprout. Once they've sprouted, just water them every day. Can't remember how long it took. Once they get about six inches, you can put your plants in a permanent spot in the ground if you want. The lemon can stay in a larger pot or go in the ground too. Some dried cow manure can go in the hole or pot when planting too, to give a head start.

Have fun!:smile:

Thanks Queenie I will give it a go I don`t need cow poo though I have fertilizer.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Not difficult to do Sonjack. Jut get a flower pot or container and add some decent garden soil. Just plant the seeds of a fruit that you particularly liked the taste of-- maybe one to two per pot, about 2 inches deep. Place them in a part sun spot and wait for them to sprout. Once they've sprouted, just water them every day. Can't remember how long it took. Once they get about six inches, you can put your plants in a permanent spot in the ground if you want. The lemon can stay in a larger pot or go in the ground too. Some dried cow manure can go in the hole or pot when planting too, to give a head start.

They were selling Orchids at the boulevard yesterday.They were about a foot tall and the cost was 100 peso,I would have bought some but I never had the money on me and could not be bothered to go to the atm. Oh well next time maybe.

Edited by sonjack2847
remove text
  • Like 1

mogo51
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Queenie O. said:

Avacados are a favourite of mine, once we settle eventually into a house, avo trees are first in, along with lemon/lime, paw paw.  Queenie, do you mean putting the avo seed into the pot, no drying needed etc?

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, mogo51 said:

Avacados are a favourite of mine, once we settle eventually into a house, avo trees are first in, along with lemon/lime, paw paw.  Queenie, do you mean putting the avo seed into the pot, no drying needed etc?

Mogo--avacados are very easy to start.  Here's a youtube post showing you how it's done. Once it's this size it can go into a bigger pot, or just in a sunny spot in the ground. :smile:

• Like 3

mogo51
Posted
Posted
22 minutes ago, Queenie O. said:

Mogo--avacados are very easy to start.  Here's a youtube post showing you how it's done. Once it's this size it can go into a bigger pot, or just in a sunny spot in the ground. :smile:

Many thanks Queenie.  Very interesting.

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Queenie O. said:

Yes that`s how I started mine.

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
On 6/16/2017 at 7:30 AM, Queenie O. said:

Many people start their avocado trees this way. In California, there are 2 popular avocados. The "Fuerte"  and the "Hass". Both grow very big and produce many avocados. One of my sons has a Fuerte avocado tree in his back yard and the avocados are huge and lots of them. He has to gather them up and give them away or the dog will play with them like as if they were green balls. 

I don't eat avocados but mixed with sour cream and chives and green chili they make a good dip , eaten with with corn tortilla chips.

That's what "they" say but what do "they" know. 

Who are "they"?

Anyone other than me.

• Like 1

Queenie O.
Posted
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gratefuled said:

Many people start their avocado trees this way. In California, there are 2 popular avocados. The "Fuerte"  and the "Hass". Both grow very big and produce many avocados. One of my sons has a Fuerte avocado tree in his back yard and the avocados are huge and lots of them. He has to gather them up and give them away or the dog will play with them like as if they were green balls. 

I don't eat avocados but mixed with sour cream and chives and green chili they make a good dip , eaten with with corn tortilla chips.

That's what "they" say but what do "they" know. 

Who are "they"?

Anyone other than me.

I had never even tasted an avocado until I became an adult.:smile: I can't say that I eat them in many savory ways, but know that they're good for you. Mostly I like them mixed in with ice cream, or in a smoothie with ice, evaporated milk and other tropical fruits.

I see both those varieties that you mention growing here. Those trees must be huge at your son's in California. Those trees get very big I've read. There is also a smooth skinned green variety.  My husband planted a variety of this tree  at his family's home when he was in the fifth grade,  and although not that big, it still bears a lot of fruit.:smile:

Edited by Queenie O.
  • Like 3

Gerald Glatt
Posted
Posted

We put 'Russell' avocados in here (long and shaped like a gourd.)  In season I eat ar least one a day just cut in half squirt a bit of citrus and salt eat out of peel/shell.  They supposedly have omga 3 + 6 and goodfat  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Steve GCC
Posted
Posted

MIL found a couple Peso 500 and has kindly attached to couple of paper trees in my front garden............

19688602_1817016741943222_1032845628_o.jpg

19718439_1817016738609889_1517091517_o.jpg

• Like 3