Discussion of President Duterte's declaration of "Martial Law" in Mindanao.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

My brother in law is from Marawi, but has lived in Manila more of his life than Marawi.  We will never see it, as my wife refuses to go to any part of Mindanao.  :tiphat:

• Like 3

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, sonjack2847 said:

Yep talk about putting all your cards on the table Ron.

It can be extended and it will be if need be. You can count on it. 

Filipinos are not used to being controlled and disciplined. 

• Like 1

virginprune
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

For Now my Friend, Please stay Alert EH?

Thanks for your thoughts Jack. I'm ok and the curfew doesn't affect me as I don't go out in the evening anyway, bit of a home bird me! I'm more concerned for my bro in law, he has a food stall in the night dining area that cannot open until 5pm. No customers for 60 days will put not just him but many others with evening work out of business. Not to mention bars, hotels, restaurants and shopping malls. This curfew, if enforced, will have a serious effect on the economy of Mindanao. Isn't that what the terrorists want? :89:

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, frozenmystic28 said:

most cities, municipalities in Mindanao right now are normal, except for Marawi city which is on high alert.

Davao city is under "high alert" as per CNN Philippines 

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, virginprune said:

This curfew, if enforced, will have a serious effect on the economy of Mindanao. Isn't that what the terrorists want? :89:

Of Course but the Man is Blind to this or so it seems, on the other Hand What else could he do that has not been tried (& failed) before

He warned of martial Law from the Start, maybe he knew things and did what a Certain other Former President did be Quiet and deny it later.

Anyway, not getting into Politics here.  As the Heavy Police in Spain say "Don't come looking for us, and we won't come looking for you"

Be safe my friend

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
12 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Filipinos are not used to being controlled and disciplined

Sure they are, many of the people our age look back fondly to the days of macros. But like spoiled kids, if authority is not enforsed, they run wild

• Like 1

Gratefuled
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, scott h said:

Sure they are, many of the people our age look back fondly to the days of macros. But like spoiled kids, if authority is not enforsed, they run wild

Thats what I said.

Undisciplined.

Not used to being controlled ( obeying rules and laws)

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, Gratefuled said:

Undisciplined.

Not used to being controlled ( obeying rules and laws)

I partly agree with you on this but I have found Today's Youth far more that way than 10 years ago.

I over discipline and that brings it's own problems with the Rebellions from Mine and the Local kids , Seems that in today's Philippines there is no happy medium anywhere. Meeting people Halfway is not in the order of the day. I am not saying sitting round the table will do what is needed but surely, we should be trying to find Common Ground and discuss just What the problem is.

JMHO 

RBM
Posted
Posted

Wondering exactly what this will mean. Arrests at random without a warrant,  searching houses the same. Have not read anything about curfews guess it mandatory. Be interested in readers comments here.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
10 minutes ago, RBM said:

Have not read anything about curfews guess it mandatory. Be interested in readers comments here.

Hi Bruce & all, here is what the UK Embassy sent out this Morning;

Philippines travel advice

24-05-2017 03:54 AM GMT

Latest update: Summary – clashes are underway between government forces and militants in Marawi City, Mindanao. On May 23 2017, President Duterte declared martial law for the whole of Mindanao for 60 days “in order to suppress lawless violence and rebellion and for public safety”. Government officials said martial law measures would include the suspension of the writ of habeas corpus, the imposition of curfews and establishment of checkpoints. The Foreign and Commonwealth Office continue to advise against all travel to western Mindanao including Marawi City; and against all but essential travel to eastern Mindanao. If you are in Marawi City you should remain indoors, monitor media reporting, and follow the advice of the Philippine authorities.**

That is about all I know apart from the Media here and well you know how that can be one way or the other at times.

All I can say is "Let's be Safe out there" :mellow:

• Like 1