How To Do Things On Computers

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

I have gotten quite a few emails over the years from friends who do not know the little ins and outs of computers and how to do some of them. Just the other day while at a friends house, I found out that he did not know how to copy and paste, so I taught him. A lot of people are ashamed to ask questions and others may just plain not know things are available for them to make things easier. So I am going to post how to do things and I sure hope members will also post the tricks they know here, such as what the heck are those control keys for? I know the F5 reloads the page but I rarely play with the others.OK, on to one topic How to copy and paste or cut and paste,First take your mouse and place it at the beginning or end of the lines or words you wish to copy.Next, hold down the left mouse button and drag your mouse across the line and until you get to the end or start of that line and the whole line should now be highlighted.Now while still on that same line with your mouse, right click your mouse and it will bring up a box and go down to copy or cut and left click on the one you want.Next put your mouse where you wish to paste the words or numbers and click, then right click and click on paste.

• Like 1

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Guys and gals, we all know things that others may not know, how about sharing? :541: :welcome: Vista snipping toolTo show members what a dummy I am, I was using my web cam to do screen shots of things I wanted to show Boss Man because I did not know any other way. Tom asked me what the heck I was using to show him the things that I saw on the screen and then he told me about a program. I did a search and found out that Windows Vista already comes with a snipping tool and all I had to do was find it. I clicked on start and it brought up start search and I typed in snip and before I typed any more it came up and I clicked on it and then it also allowed me to place a short cut to get to it easier in the future. It is a great tool and I understand that it might also be available for XP as well. So how does it work. It basically takes a picture of what you want from a web page or anything else you see on your screen, such as a picture. You know those sites that do not allow you to copy pictures, well now you can. Just to give you an idea of how it works, below is a copy of what I see on this page including this text.

post-40-1254063074_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

ancienrocka
Posted
Posted

WOW WOW WOW.Just tried the snipping tool and I love it. Will be using it a lot in the furure.More tips please!Paul

• Like 1

Mik
Posted
Posted

Pressing the Shift key while clicking a link will cause it to open in a new window. An alternative is to right click on a link and choose "Open in New Window" from the popup menu.Pressing the Windows key (located between the left Ctrl and left Alt) and the D key will minimize all windows. Repeat to restore all windows.Pressing Shift and the Prt Scr key will take a screen shot and copy it to the clip board. Open MS Word or a paint program and press Ctrl V to paste the screen image.

volstateguy
Posted
Posted

If you want to do a word search on a page, hit the Ctrl button and F. A search box will open up. Just type in a word or part of a word and it will find all on the page.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Thank you both, both very helpful and the control F was something I did not know or did not remember and it can be very helpful with some of these long posts that I often make. :AddEmoticons04230: Keep them coming guys and gals, we all know stuff that others may not know, and any and all short cuts can help others. I was on another forum just yesterday and saw someone who had been on here yesterday post on there and he used the snipping screen shot tool there. Maybe he learned it from us? Nawh that cannot be because he did not tell us or thank us here. SugarwareZ-004.gif Actually, there is never a need for thanks, it is just important that we all learn as many helpful things to make our computer and forum time easier on us and more pleasurable.

TheMason
Posted
Posted

If using Internet Explorer or FireFox, hit F11 to hide the top navigation elements. If you're on a laptop or monitor with lower resolution, it really frees up screen space. If you need anything from the hidden part of the screen, just put your mouse at the top of the screen. Hit F11 again to go back to normal mode.

• Like 2

Travis
Posted
Posted (edited)
If using Internet Explorer or FireFox, hit F11 to hide the top navigation elements. If you're on a laptop or monitor with lower resolution, it really frees up screen space. If you need anything from the hidden part of the screen, just put your mouse at the top of the screen. Hit F11 again to go back to normal mode.
thank you thank you thank you I cannot say it enough. I watch hulu.com via IE & via a friends computer in the states & that works great full screen on my laptop :AddEmoticons04230: :thumbsup: :tiphat: :th_thanx: :th_thanx: :th_thanx: ok you get the idea that alone makes reading forums a great thing for meI forgot to say thank you you made my day week & year Edited by Traveler

volstateguy
Posted
Posted

Love the F11 function, great for watching videos.In microsoft office programs (word, excel, ect..) hitting the F7 will perform a spell check. Great option if you spell as bad as me.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

General keyboard shortcuts for Windows XP

• CTRL+C (Copy)
  • CTRL+X (Cut)
  • CTRL+V (Paste)
  • CTRL+Z (Undo)
  • DELETE (Delete)
  • SHIFT+DELETE (Delete the selected item permanently without placing the item in the Recycle Bin)
  • CTRL while dragging an item (Copy the selected item)
  • CTRL+SHIFT while dragging an item (Create a shortcut to the selected item)
  • F2 key (Rename the selected item)
  • CTRL+RIGHT ARROW (Move the insertion point to the beginning of the next word)
  • CTRL+LEFT ARROW (Move the insertion point to the beginning of the previous word)
  • CTRL+DOWN ARROW (Move the insertion point to the beginning of the next paragraph)
  • CTRL+UP ARROW (Move the insertion point to the beginning of the previous paragraph)
  • CTRL+SHIFT with any of the arrow keys (Highlight a block of text)
  • SHIFT with any of the arrow keys (Select more than one item in a window or on the desktop, or select text in a document)
  • CTRL+A (Select all)
  • F3 key (Search for a file or a folder)
  • ALT+ENTER (View the properties for the selected item)
  • ALT+F4 (Close the active item, or quit the active program)
  • ALT+ENTER (Display the properties of the selected object)
  • ALT+SPACEBAR (Open the shortcut menu for the active window)
  • CTRL+F4 (Close the active document in programs that enable you to have multiple documents open simultaneously)
  • ALT+TAB (Switch between the open items)
  • ALT+ESC (Cycle through items in the order that they had been opened)
  • F6 key (Cycle through the screen elements in a window or on the desktop)
  • F4 key (Display the Address bar list in My Computer or Windows Explorer)
  • SHIFT+F10 (Display the shortcut menu for the selected item)
  • ALT+SPACEBAR (Display the System menu for the active window)
  • CTRL+ESC (Display the Start menu)
  • ALT+Underlined letter in a menu name (Display the corresponding menu)
  • Underlined letter in a command name on an open menu (Perform the corresponding command)
  • F10 key (Activate the menu bar in the active program)
  • RIGHT ARROW (Open the next menu to the right, or open a submenu)
  • LEFT ARROW (Open the next menu to the left, or close a submenu)
  • F5 key (Update the active window)
  • BACKSPACE (View the folder one level up in My Computer or Windows Explorer)
  • ESC (Cancel the current task)
  • SHIFT when you insert a CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive (Prevent the CD-ROM from automatically playing)
  • CTRL+SHIFT+ESC (Open Task Manager)

Vista shortcutshttp://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...8dc5661033.mspx

• Like 1